Thread: Boost control Voltage scaleing

Boost control Voltage scaleing

Hi everyone....just want to ask if its possible to re-scale the voltage going to my boost controller map to change to another Boost control Solenoid ? if so how do you do this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aus_spec_ranger View Post
    Hi everyone....just want to ask if its possible to re-scale the voltage going to my boost controller map to change to another Boost control Solenoid ? if so how do you do this ?
    anyone ?

Potential Tuner
    This for ranger 3.2?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydog78 View Post
    This for ranger 3.2?
    Yeah Aus spec 3.2 diesel engine

Potential Tuner
    VNT actuator control is via PWM so you'd be rescaling the Duty Cycle map rather than raw signal voltage figure.
    Position Feedback is another grey area. Apparently our VNT actuators have a one-time flash calibration to set 0% - 100% position relevant to the minimum flow and maximum flow. I'm unsure how these flow figures are determined though.
    What are you trying to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydog78 View Post
    VNT actuator control is via PWM so you'd be rescaling the Duty Cycle map rather than raw signal voltage figure.
    Position Feedback is another grey area. Apparently our VNT actuators have a one-time flash calibration to set 0% - 100% position relevant to the minimum flow and maximum flow. I'm unsure how these flow figures are determined though.
    What are you trying to do?

Huskydog you might be able to help me.....i dont like VNT turbos because of the sound and restrictions and Reliability longevity , i have always wanted to have a Gated wast gate turbo on my Diesel 4x4s. and what i need is to install a Electronic boost control solenoid to control boost in various areas in the Boost map.

what i wanted to do is rescale the voltage signal in HPT to use my current VNT plug and connect that to a Electronic Boost controlled solenoid (EBCS) ....its soo basic how a EBCS works it just a little port that opens up in tiny increments to bleed off air for the waste gate, and i figured i might be able to do this thru changing the voltage control in HPT software.

I swear i looked online for countless Hours and i am MIND boggled as to why no one has done this simple conversion ?

Diesel don't need boost control they need boost period. VNT turbo spool very quick relative to their size which is why they are utilized. OE's have to follow emission requirements and that sometimes requires boost control as too much extra available air creates more NOx emissions. For you it is not required. Wastegates on a diesel are there to prevent turbo over speed conditions and to drop back pressure once the turbine becomes a flow restriction. Don't worry about boost control, get it to spool asap and if you have more air that's great it means it'll run very clean or have the ability to make more torque in that area. If you really care just spec your new turbo based on your desired HP and engine size. Those two things will give you how much airflow you need and how much of a restriction your engine will be aka the pressure ratio you'll operate at. With those numbers you can then find a turbo that suits your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    Diesel don't need boost control they need boost period. VNT turbo spool very quick relative to their size which is why they are utilized. OE's have to follow emission requirements and that sometimes requires boost control as too much extra available air creates more NOx emissions. For you it is not required. Wastegates on a diesel are there to prevent turbo over speed conditions and to drop back pressure once the turbine becomes a flow restriction. Don't worry about boost control, get it to spool asap and if you have more air that's great it means it'll run very clean or have the ability to make more torque in that area. If you really care just spec your new turbo based on your desired HP and engine size. Those two things will give you how much airflow you need and how much of a restriction your engine will be aka the pressure ratio you'll operate at. With those numbers you can then find a turbo that suits your requirements.
    ok so i think i understanding what your saying....VNT are only there to spool quicker downlow, witch i dont really mind a bit of turbo lag down low ..... and also VNT are used to control Nox Emissons....ok cool my last worry was i have a Auto ford 6R80 Transmission and when i let off the pedal my worry is i don't have a clutch and i cant push a clutch to take the turbo off load.... but your saying its ok for a diesle to run lean with boost in the intake ? and even if i cant let off the power fast enough its ok to have high boost in the intake because diesle can go very very clean and it is safe ?

my only worry was to control boost for bleeding off air when coming off the accelerator because i read when some people moved from a VNT turbo to Gated turbo there auto couldn't let off the power and was still on load causing the turbo to still be in boost and this caused the engine to shutter vicious hard? or was this man that i was reading online misinformed and he needed to tune that car area more ? he would have needed to add more fuel or less fuel ? from what i know diesel can be SUPER lean when cursing or idle like even 20:1 to 45:1 AFR ?