Thread: Cav Z24 LD9 Supercharged help

Potential Tuner

Thumbs up Cav Z24 LD9 Supercharged help

To be completely honest, the only tuning experience I have is buying a programmer for my truck and plugging it in, so please be nice! Just bought the MVPI3, watched a few tutorials on intro and how to view, but thats as far as ive gotten so far. Ive been waiting on a local tuner shop to put the car on a dyno, and tune it, but they just kept blowing me off, and after 3 months, thought Id try this route.

The car, 2002 Cavalier Z24 2.4 LD9, with a M45 Eaton Supercharger kit, one that was a dealer option back then. I also bought the PCM that was in the original car and the 2 bar MAP sensor. The car has smelled like its been running rich, and now after doing a diag through the scanner, it had a code for being rich. The 2 bar MAP was running about 196 kPa. I bought a new 2 bar MAP thinking it mightve been bad, and got the same results. I re-installed the stock 1 bar MAP and it ran better as well as the kPa came down to around 85 I think.

I did a couple 0-70 runs, saved the logs as well as the return trip home. The ones titled as testrunblanco are the 0-70, slumber is the neighborhood cruise back. Anyone willing to look at the logs? Its still a foreign language to me!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bkey79; 02-12-2023 at 03:05 PM. Reason: add info

Senior Tuner
    Did you update the map linear and offset for the 2 bar map?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    Did you update the map linear and offset for the 2 bar map?
    No, I only scanned for codes, changed to the stock MAP sensor and logged a few runs. Honestly I dont know what I'm doing yet, and trying to go slow and learn as to not screw up the car. Explaining it like I'm a child would probably help..

Senior Tuner
    What's the part numbers for the MAP sensors?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    The cavalier ECUs are generally Alpha-N mode controllers (TPS and RPM) with the 2.4 LD9 Twin Cam computer having an option to be flashed for a speed density (RPM and Map) mode for use with that GM/Eaton supercharger application.
    The map in Alpha-N isn't really used for anythign other than initial baro reading and cross check, and idle and cruise modeling. If you do change the map, then GT is right in that your going to need to change the map sensor linear and offset values to match the calibration information for the installed sensor. If you don't, the ecu thinks the sensor is a 1 bar even though a 2 bar is installed.

It would help if you post your tune file so other users can verify the ecu control mode and the settings you are workign with. If the original has the GM OS for the supercharger then the tuning instructions will be different from the typical n/a OS.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 02-15-2023 at 10:56 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    The cavalier ECUs are generally Alpha-N mode controllers (TPS and RPM) with the 2.4 LD9 Twin Cam computer having an option to be flashed for a speed density (RPM and Map) mode for use with that GM/Eaton supercharger application.
    The map in Alpha-N isn't really used for anythign other than initial baro reading and cross check, and idle and cruise modeling. If you do change the map, then GT is right in that your going to need to change the map sensor linear and offset values to match the calibration information for the installed sensor. If you don't, the ecu thinks the sensor is a 1 bar even though a 2 bar is installed.

It would help if you post your tune file so other users can verify the ecu control mode and the settings you are workign with. If the original has the GM OS for the supercharger then the tuning instructions will be different from the typical n/a OS.
    Here is the current tune. See if you can make any sense or suggestions!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    What's the part numbers for the MAP sensors?
    SO I just realized that both MAP sensors have the same part number stamped on them... PBT-GF30 .. The stock one still has the Delco tag, and the one I recently bought, I used the part number from the orginal parts list for the supercharger, 9350899, and while it looks a little different, I believe it is still a 1 bar MAP... Wondering if that was the problem all along.. I have a 2 bar map sensor from ZZPerformace in the mail.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Can anyone else verify the map calibration fields aren't available? I searched the navigator and nothing. Could be a problem if trying to slap a random sensor in there.

Based on the tables this ecu has a 2 bar map axis so if the oem sensor is indeed a 2 bar then it should be able to handle around 14 psi boost before the fuel map axis are exceeded. Assuming we find the correct sensor and everything is mechanically sound, it should run fine and just need some ve and ignition tweaks to run top notch.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    So I got the 2bar map sensor from ZZperformace in, threw it in and car started right away. however after a few seconds, idle was erratic, jumping all over the place before it settled down again. Any revs, and the car stumbles.

Heres the log from the start untill I shut i shut it off. it did stall twice in this log.
    Last edited by bkey79; 02-23-2023 at 04:46 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    Can anyone else verify the map calibration fields aren't available? I searched the navigator and nothing. Could be a problem if trying to slap a random sensor in there.

Based on the tables this ecu has a 2 bar map axis so if the oem sensor is indeed a 2 bar then it should be able to handle around 14 psi boost before the fuel map axis are exceeded. Assuming we find the correct sensor and everything is mechanically sound, it should run fine and just need some ve and ignition tweaks to run top notch.
    From what I understand, the stock MAP is a 1 bar MAP sensor. I bought the S/C kit used, and the guy I bought it from said the ECU was tuned for a 2 bar, which he included the 2 bar and the ECU. By the looks of it, and the part numbers, he sent a 1 bar sensor. The 2 BAR I just installed wont allow the car to rev at all, it immediately stumbles to almost stalling. I'll have to put the 1 bar back in until I/we/someone helps me figure this out.

Thanks again for looking and helping!

Potential Tuner
    Bump TTT