Thread: 98 T/A TCC Lock-up

Potential Tuner

98 T/A TCC Lock-up

For some time now my car will drive fine, and once it has some temp in it. It'll lock up the converter clutch. After a few miles or so it'll just randomly unlock and won't lock back. It has no problems when it is locked up feels fine. No codes or anything being shown. I got HP Tuners recently and I wanna address this problem. I'm a noob when it comes to this so forgive me.

Rundown on the car:
    SBE LS1, 227/235 .619/.606 110+3, Stock heads, Ported Fast 92, PTM 92mm Throttle Body, Headers, True Duals, Performabuilt Level 2 4L60e, Yank SS3600 Single Disc.

Here's the tune that was done a few months back after I had it dyno tuned locally. Any help is much appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

im not on my tuning laptop with hptuners but i noticed you have an aftermarket higher stall converter and depending on if your pcm is tuned yet or not, may be the culprit.

Advanced Tuner
    You should be able to monitor why its unlocking if its in the tune. Id have to connect to a pcm and find the channels tho.

Look up all the TCC channels and see if any of them show you why its happening

Senior Tuner
    While it is acting up scan it to see if there is a P0741 pending. This is acts exactly like that.

The tune looked OK from a quick glance.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    It's been tuned for the converter. And the last drive while scanning, the TCC Mode went from Locked straight to off for seemingly no reason. TPS was at 5% doing around 65mph. And it didn't try and apply it for the rest of the drive. I looked at my DTCs and the P0741 is turned off in the tune. I checked it back and will go for another drive.

Edit: I drove it, and scanned the DTCs while driving and the only pending code I have is a MAF code. I'm tuned in speed density so I suspect that's why that pops up. I monitored the TCC mode and it never changed from off. Never said Apply/Locked or '--- 3 ---"
    Last edited by JonRussell18; 02-15-2023 at 07:31 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I wanna bump this just in case someone has a similar issue. After Facebook groups and other forums suggest misfire detection in the tune and that not helping in the least. I logged the car again with more PIDs and discovered the pressure manifold switch that includes the trans temp sensor is faulty. It pegs the sensor at 5 volts and -36 degrees. And once in the log it was reading 97 degrees and 1.43 volts like it should and the TCC mode was set to "---3--" which I've read means that the TCC is ready to be locked. So if anyone has issues with a TCC lock up intermittent issues, log the trans temp sensor.