Thread: Do i have the dreaded lifter issue?

Potential Tuner

Do i have the dreaded lifter issue?

So i have bolts on for a while now then consist l86 tb and intake not ported,,headers cold air intake it has been tuned since 75k-80k miles Dod was turned off then now i have 183k . Me and my buddy are at a lost cause so i wanted too post on here my tune and log file .it has spark knock around 1400-1800 plus 3000-4000 plus are kinda old i have replace two coil so far new wires . any help would be great . I have a catch can i pulled intake today the valves are really dirty so i had a intake cleaner done today . i also have a cut-out .Two logs posted and my current tune .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 14gmc5.3 View Post
    So i have bolts on for a while now then consist l86 tb and intake not ported,,headers cold air intake it has been tuned since 75k-80k miles Dod was turned off then now i have 183k . Me and my buddy are at a lost cause so i wanted too post on here my tune and log file .it has spark knock around 1400-1800 plus 3000-4000 plus are kinda old i have replace two coil so far new wires . any help would be great . I have a catch can i pulled intake today the valves are really dirty so i had a intake cleaner done today . i also have a cut-out .Two logs posted and my current tune .
    You have too much spark advance in the HO spark table...especially in the 3000-4600 range. Try pulling 3-4 degrees and try again.

Potential Tuner
    Do you see anthing else that could cause it ? if you look zt the log. For a while i didnt have my pids done right my wide band took a shit on me again well the sensor did gotta get a new sensor again.

Tuning Addict
    You're running about 6 degrees more timing in the 3000+ rpm area than I normally do at light engine loads on stock manifolds. I normally run a touch more in the fuel economy areas and less at higher loads in the lower rpms, but other than that. Fuel isn't what it was 3 or 4 years ago. Your knock sensor settings are also basically killed at those high of levels, so watch out on that even though it's showing knock - it's definitely real at that point.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    I have headers not stock manifolds btw .Do you think it real knock or what ? Could this be a issue I dont feel like it falling on its face but who really knows

Tuning Addict
    I know you have headers. They aren't a ton different in timing abilities if you're still running any sort of cats. I would say real knock with those knock settings and today's gas.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Oh sorry too add i have no cats and 3inch pipe from headers back sir.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 14gmc5.3 View Post
    Do you see anthing else that could cause it ? if you look zt the log. For a while i didnt have my pids done right my wide band took a shit on me again well the sensor did gotta get a new sensor again.
    No. Greg is spot-on. It just has too much spark advance. That engine has 11.0:1 compression ratio, and is in a very heavy truck. If you are running 93 octane fuel, I would start around 20-21 degrees at peak torque and 1-2 degrees more above 5000 rpm. It would be way better to pull 4 degrees of timing from around 0.42-1.24 cylinder airmass range, from 1200 rpm-up. Start low and then add 1 degree at a time to see what happens with KR>

Potential Tuner
    So i have too much spark is what causing this not my lifters? Wish i had the $$ id cam this truck and stall it . What are the weak points have ran across besides lifters .

Tuning Addict
    Usually a lifter on these just goes. Not like the older ones where they would start ticking first. Yours is just showing random misfires - nothing to say bad lifter per say. They're also bad for carbon on top of the pistons causing firing issues as they are DI motors, but the cleaning made no difference I assume? Main other thing they're bad for are injectors wearing - actually surprised your fueling is still that close with that many miles - I typically see fuel trims out 10 to 15% by 100000 tuning them.

~Greg Huggins~