Thread: Scanner no longer runs on my PC windows 10 x64bit pro

Tuner

Scanner no longer runs on my PC windows 10 x64bit pro

Hi All, until recently i have been scanning with my laptop and transferring my files via memory stick to my PC with a larger screen with no issue. Now i find that no longer how long i wait it never opens yet in task manager it says it's running. I've just installed .NET framework 4.8 as a fix but this makes no difference, any pointers?
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Did you make any headway with your issue? I am having the exact same issue where VCM scanner wont load but show up in the background processes under task manager.

I want to add that its using roughly 18% of the CPU. If I open it again it will show up as 2 copies running in the background and both copies will be using roughly 18% CPU load so almost 40% between the 2 of them, yet nothing will open.

One thing I did was tried the BETA version with NET 6.0 run time installed and VOILA!!! it worked. However the regular version would not. I also noticed the regular version is 32 bit and the BETA version is 64 bit and they are both installed in the separate program files directory in windows.

Wierd thing is that I have the exact same windows 11 version on my desktop and VCM scanner works just fine on it

Tuner
    Interesting, i might try the beta to see if it runs ok. I,ve tried an older version 4.0.2.0 and the same issue is there so i'm at a loss for now, luckily it's just to look at other tunes at the moment, i'll wait and see how it progresses !
    Gen3 L59/4L60E LS3 cast manifolds, Small Cam change, 2800 Convertor, MPVI, using MTX-L for wideband tuning

Advanced Tuner
    I really dont get why it wont work. what's even more intriguing is that the VCM Editor works fine. Both the scanner and editor are installed with the VCM suite. Why will one work and not the other?

I've spent a great deal of time googling this and found several people with the same issue and no solutions. What baffles me is there is no one out there with a solution with how popular HP Tuners is.

Tuner
    I tried this, but it's a bit above me
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Net-installed

Tuner
    I've sent a copy of my issue to Microsoft too see if they can fix it as no one seems to know why i can't use this feature

Advanced Tuner
    Are you running any anti virus programs? Those could potentially block you from running it.

Tuner
    Only Avast, run it for the past 20 years never had this issue, i'm sure it's a microsoft framework issue, just not knowledgeable in these things

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah because an update never changes anything right? If your so sure what's causing your issue, why are you asking for help? Pretty contradictory, especially when you say you're just not knowledgeable in these things. Aside from that, free or paid anti virus programs are a scam. Nothing is better than windows built in. Anything else is subject to being problematic, resource intensive, and no better than windows defender. But hey, keep thinking it's .net framework even though many of us all are using the same .net framework and windows 10 with no issue.

Tuner
    Not just me it seems, more too come with windowss11 maybe
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ground-process

What version of VCM scanner won't run on your machine? Any other versions work? Does VCM editor of the same version always work?

One more question - what MPVI device?

Sorry if I missed any of this before.

Tuner
    I've tried an older version that always worked 4.0.2.0 and a latest version 5.0.4.0 and neither run the scanner, the editor runs fine, but although loaded the scanner doesn't show on screen It's the older MPV1 with the logger built in. Everything worked fine till about 10th Feb 23 as i had screen shot. i'm sure it's a microsoft issue, not a tuners issue, just can't find whats changed

Tuner
    Finally the right up date from Microsoft, which i might have missed due too the PC being shut down every night to save power, scanner now opens as before, link to required update
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-f472b3f9d3fd

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    Finally the right up date from Microsoft, which i might have missed due too the PC being shut down every night to save power, scanner now opens as before, link to required update
    So did this end up fixing your issue bud? I did catch the link you posted but I run windows 11 and not windows 10 like yourself. Or are these updates the same for both 10 and 11?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jsf55 View Post
    So I went into windows update and took an update that was waiting and its fixed and Scanner is loading and working perfectly. Now being I run windows 11 your update numbers were different than mine
    However its working and that's really all that matters. Thank you so much for your help bud

Tuner
    I see you got it fixed, yeah i'm all good now back reading old and new logs and what ever posted on here

Advanced Tuner
    Happy Tuning Bro