Thread: New to tuning- Hardware and Software needed

Tuner in Training

New to tuning- Hardware and Software needed

I have never tuned before but now have a hobby vehicle, a 2012 Grand Sport LS3 that I just put a TSP Stage 1 cam in and headers with cat delete.(bunch of other upgrades like trunion, pushrod, roller timing chain, Melling oil pump etc) I need to find out what I need to purchase to do my own tuning. Right now it needs a base tune just so it will idle better and keep from damaging the car. I assume I need something like the 30-0334 AEM wide and and the MPVI3 HP Tuner? is there anything else I need for it to hook up to the laptop or car to get started?

Thank you for any and all help with this.

Tuner in Training Turbostangs90's Avatar
    That is all that you need. You will goto the HP tuners website and download their VCM editer and scanner programs. Editor is used to make changes, and scanner is used to datalog. But you will be provided with a generic list of things to datalog. I recommend adding extra things that you intend to monitor. There are some good videos on youtube for tuning information, I have always liked watching Goat Rope Garage tutorials.

Getting the wideband setup properly in the Scanner software will be the 1st hurdle to overcome. Do some research on that.
    2009 CTSV Sedan CRT
    TMS 427, Modified Huron Twin Kit, BW-S369s, Greg Good CNC Brodix BR7s, Lil Jon Turbo Cam, PTC converter spec'd by Dusty Bradford, ID1700s, FORE Fuel System, built 6l90

1990 Mustang tuned using Holley EFI

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbostangs90 View Post
    That is all that you need. You will goto the HP tuners website and download their VCM editer and scanner programs. Editor is used to make changes, and scanner is used to datalog. But you will be provided with a generic list of things to datalog. I recommend adding extra things that you intend to monitor. There are some good videos on youtube for tuning information, I have always liked watching Goat Rope Garage tutorials.

Getting the wideband setup properly in the Scanner software will be the 1st hurdle to overcome. Do some research on that.
    Appreciate the quick post, so the 30-0334 will data log directly to the laptop with the MPVI3? no other connections needed.

I have read the post about how to connect the AEM properly to get it to work right off so I am aware of the pitfalls. I have watched a little of the Goat Rope Garage stuff, they make it sound simple. I am a 35 year aircraft mechanic and engineer by trade so I trust myself but then my aviation background kicks in with an over abundance of caution, prepping and planning before I dive in.

Any other nuggets of advise would be appreciated!

Tuner in Training Turbostangs90's Avatar
    The HP mpvi has presets for just about all aftermarket widebands on the market, so usually its as simple as selecting your unit and you are ready to go. If it isnt in their list of options, then you just have to research to find out what the correct slope/intercept formula is to make the gauge reading match up to what you see on the datalog. Having an engineering background, I have no doubt that you will pick it up quickly with tuning. Good thing your guinea pig is a NA car and not boosted. Itll be much easier to pick up.

Only other advice I have...is with that car...is the trans tuning. That is where you will make the biggest gains. They seem complicated when you first look at the options of things you can change...but make baby steps. Once you have the fueling and timing down, everything else will be in the trans tuning.
    2009 CTSV Sedan CRT
    TMS 427, Modified Huron Twin Kit, BW-S369s, Greg Good CNC Brodix BR7s, Lil Jon Turbo Cam, PTC converter spec'd by Dusty Bradford, ID1700s, FORE Fuel System, built 6l90

1990 Mustang tuned using Holley EFI

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbostangs90 View Post
    The HP mpvi has presets for just about all aftermarket widebands on the market, so usually its as simple as selecting your unit and you are ready to go. If it isnt in their list of options, then you just have to research to find out what the correct slope/intercept formula is to make the gauge reading match up to what you see on the datalog. Having an engineering background, I have no doubt that you will pick it up quickly with tuning. Good thing your guinea pig is a NA car and not boosted. Itll be much easier to pick up.

Only other advice I have...is with that car...is the trans tuning. That is where you will make the biggest gains. They seem complicated when you first look at the options of things you can change...but make baby steps. Once you have the fueling and timing down, everything else will be in the trans tuning.
    Appreciate the additional information and additional input so much! Off to buy the equipment and get started!