Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.3 bored to 5.7 Tune

5.3 bored to 5.7 Tune

Hello, I am new to this, I have been supporting myself with videos and reading on the internet but I have not been successful.

I have a gen 3 5.3 bored to 5.7 with 243 heads, .660 btr valve springs, stock delphi injectors, long tube heads no cats.

I add a 230/242 113 .625/.605 camshaft.

Adjust the idle and add more airflow but it still needs to hit the throttle and it smells a lot like gasoline. i dont have wideband for now

Can you see my tune and tell me if I'm doing it right? Thank you all

5.3 bored to 5.7 VCM File.hpl5.3 bore to 5.7 Tune.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_M View Post
    Hello, I am new to this, I have been supporting myself with videos and reading on the internet but I have not been successful.

I have a gen 3 5.3 bored to 5.7 with 243 heads, .660 btr valve springs, stock delphi injectors, long tube heads no cats.

I add a 230/242 113 .625/.605 camshaft.

Adjust the idle and add more airflow but it still needs to hit the throttle and it smells a lot like gasoline. i dont have wideband for now

Can you see my tune and tell me if I'm doing it right? Thank you all

5.3 bored to 5.7 VCM File.hpl5.3 bore to 5.7 Tune.hpt
    The VE table needs to be adjusted next. It's too rich at low rpm and too lean at WOT.
    I would also recommend Zeroing table 12626 base spark adder table. With your current settings, it can add 8-10 degrees timing over your current target.
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 02-20-2023 at 10:34 PM.

stock delphi injectors
    Well that narrows it down to about sixty or seventy different part numbers! Are they the stock injectors for the year/make/model/engine the tune file is from?

I bet they are the stock 25lb/hr injectors that came with the return style fuel rail on his 2003 Silverado.

They are way to small for the power this engine makes, so he's better off upgrading them now.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    It's too rich at low rpm and too lean at WOT.
    im learning the VE, and looking at his 3D map, are you talking about the 3k to 5k rpm range where it has the slope to above 5500 then its flat until 8k?
    and also the rich at low rpm, are you reffering to the uplift then dip at 500 rpm to im guessing 1200 rpm area?
    thanks for clarification

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Well that narrows it down to about sixty or seventy different part numbers! Are they the stock injectors for the year/make/model/engine the tune file is from?
    delphi injectors 25lb/hr

The VE table needs to be adjusted next. It's too rich at low rpm and too lean at WOT.
    I would also recommend Zeroing table 12626 base spark adder table. With your current settings, it can add 8-10 degrees timing over your current target.
    can i put VE table and spark idle from a corvette, can it works?

Senior Tuner
    No. You'll have to adjust the VE table based on your fuel trims or use a wide band oxygen sensor to help you get it dialed in.

Silverado 2003 TUNE idle VE.hpt
    i moved some percent in VE table only idle RPMS, what do you think? i ask you first because i dont wanna risk

Senior Tuner
    Silverado 2003 TUNE idle VE.hpt
    i moved some percent in VE table only idle RPMS, what do you think? i ask you first because i dont wanna risk
    It looks a lot more normal for your application at low rpm. However, you'll need to add more fuel above 2800 rpm with that combo.

It looks a lot more normal for your application at low rpm. However, you'll need to add more fuel above 2800 rpm with that combo.
    Thanks, with that VE changes my spark plugs looks much better, i can start the engine without push the pedal, but now, my idle is high is 1200-1250 rpm, how can i low it? i know is a big cam but i did see some cams like mines running 900-950

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv2011 View Post
    Sorry just was a question

Thanks, with that VE changes my spark plugs looks much better, i can start the engine without push the pedal, but now, my idle is high is 1200-1250 rpm, how can i low it? i know is a big cam but i did see some cams like mines running 900-950
    Nobody?

You are wasting a bunch of time trying to tune it on the tiny injectors. 25lb @ 58psi will only support right at 400 HP, at the crank... and if that combo won't make a lot more than that you put something together wrong.

SUM-8710R1 is 230/[email protected]. That thing's gonna want to rev to 7500. You'll be out of injector at something stupid like 4500.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You are wasting a bunch of time trying to tune it on the tiny injectors. 25lb @ 58psi will only support right at 400 HP, at the crank... and if that combo won't make a lot more than that you put something together wrong.

SUM-8710R1 is 230/[email protected]. That thing's gonna want to rev to 7500. You'll be out of injector at something stupid like 4500.
    is just for break-in period, is a full rebuild engine

Takes less than 30min to "break in" an engine, think of how many times a piston moves in that bore. 100 or even 500 miles is just wasted time.

Kind of one of those things were it works or it don't. But people can do what they want I guess.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Takes less than 30min to "break in" an engine, think of how many times a piston moves in that bore. 100 or even 500 miles is just wasted time.

Kind of one of those things were it works or it don't. But people can do what they want I guess.
    well i think i will come back here when i did upgrade my injectors and get a wideband too, thanks too all

Advanced Tuner
    well i think i will come back here when
    they seem like jerks, but theyre not.
    im going through the same stuff, and when the same question gets asked over and over it gets repetitive.
    when someone tells you to get new injectors, there is a reason. Gm 50# injketors are cheap, and will support what you are doing.
    other wise, any tuning on the small iinjector is wasted time and effort on your part.
    Ot get it running and chck for leaks is one thing, but, get it on a trialer and get it dyno tuned.
    then you can mess around with the tune to dial in drivability, and long road trips and such.
    But there is a wealth of info in here and all over the internet, it takes time from both parties to do the research and come asking for the correct type of help.
    i hope that helps.
    no need to run a way, ask questions, that is what the forum is here for.

Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    they seem like jerks, but theyre not.
    im going through the same stuff, and when the same question gets asked over and over it gets repetitive.
    when someone tells you to get new injectors, there is a reason. Gm 50# injketors are cheap, and will support what you are doing.
    other wise, any tuning on the small iinjector is wasted time and effort on your part.
    Ot get it running and chck for leaks is one thing, but, get it on a trialer and get it dyno tuned.
    then you can mess around with the tune to dial in drivability, and long road trips and such.
    But there is a wealth of info in here and all over the internet, it takes time from both parties to do the research and come asking for the correct type of help.
    i hope that helps.
    no need to run a way, ask questions, that is what the forum is here for.
    I appreciate it thanks