Thread: 1.4T ZZP Stage 1 cams

1.4T ZZP Stage 1 cams

I have their 1.4T LUJ/LUV stage 1 cam lying around in the garage waiting to be installed in the next two weeks.
    But before i do, does anybody have some information on them? I mean intake and exhaust angles, at least the basics.

I contacted ZZP themselves but they were really not helpful, as they require me to buy their custom tune to get all the tuning data for them.

I know the clearance at 0 degrees intake and 30 degrees exhaust and 30 degrees intake and 0 degrees exhaust is just fine on the stock camshafts, and the valves will not touch the pistons.
    What about the ZZP ones? I assume that should also be the case, else custom tuning is going to be a big nightmare.

Advanced Tuner
    Good luck, not sure how zzp did it, but there's a bunch of tables and parameters that don't exist in the editor to calibrate these cams correctly. The valve event timing appears to be the same as OE, but the duration is longer, obviously, because its high lift.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    you would have to sacrifice a set of cam phasers and degree them in at full stops to know their position information. Same test can tell you piston clearance if you set measuring equipment up correctly.
    I don't think you'll ever get that level of cam information out of ZZP.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    Good luck, not sure how zzp did it, but there's a bunch of tables and parameters that don't exist in the editor to calibrate these cams correctly. The valve event timing appears to be the same as OE, but the duration is longer, obviously, because its high lift.
    There's indeed some interesting tables in the ECU for things, but no worry about that. I'll email hp tuners support to add them to the software when i find all the definitions.

Yesterday i found a whole set that enables when and how scavenging is activated. Turns out my stock ECU doesn't even use it, which explains why i get full boost at 3500 rpm on a bigger turbo.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    you would have to sacrifice a set of cam phasers and degree them in at full stops to know their position information. Same test can tell you piston clearance if you set measuring equipment up correctly.
    I don't think you'll ever get that level of cam information out of ZZP.
    Yeah, we used an old school cam degree wheel and a dial indicator on a spare engine we had to sort it out... Even that's not 100% accurate, but it gave us enough information to sort out what they did.

Funny thing is at one time ZZP actually had the duration and lift specs for the new cam. The exhaust side is just a flipped intake cam. That cam has more lift and somewhere around 10* more duration than the stock exhaust cam. There stage 1 intake cam has more lift and duration than a stock intake cam. I have them in my cruze and it absolutely screams. The biggest thing done to adjust for them was retard the intake side 5* at low rpm and airflow. Then changed the startup intake cam temp to 100*f and the angle to 5* to get rid of the lope at startup.
    Last edited by jmardlin; 02-26-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmardlin View Post
    Funny thing is at one time ZZP actually had the duration and lift specs for the new cam. The exhaust side is just a flipped intake cam. That cam has more lift and somewhere around 10* more duration than the stock exhaust cam. There stage 1 intake cam has more lift and duration than a stock intake cam. I have them in my cruze and it absolutely screams. The biggest thing done to adjust for them was retard the intake side 5* at low rpm and airflow. Then changed the startup intake cam temp to 100*f and the angle to 5* to get rid of the lope at startup.
    Thank you very much!

Also if anybody is interested in alternatives, dbilas dynamic from germany has camshafts, springs, injectors, conrods and pistons for this engine.

cu29ugGV8Y.png

Tuner in Training
    dBilas is 50km far away from my home
    Maybe the user derTobi, which is from the company EDS in germany, have them, too.

cam.jpg

ZZP camshaft has been installed, together with valve springs and retainers

The K04 turbocharger spools on the stock cam at 3300 RPM, on the new camshaft it spools at 4200. It seems very happy at 1.5 bar of boost. This is on the stock conrods and pistons. Lacks tons of torque below 4000 tho, it's like a generic 1.6 N/A i'd say now ��
    Dyno time to be booked soon, together with proper cam angles.

Heck I run mine mostly on E85 and get up to 265 kpa on the map sensor. At my altitude that equates to 163 to 164 kpa of boost. She absolutely screams with the zzp cam, valvesprings and a big wheel V3 turbo.

Tuner
    Trifecta has an article on their blog about their experience with tuning that particular cam for the LUJ and the LUV. Just go to the website. It's in their blog. I just read it the other day and it offers a lot of insight for the stage one cam and what goes into installing it and what you need to do to tune it so it works right
    "Insert some inspirational or smart*** quote here..." - Some Dude
    software_engineer.net_sec.linux_hero
    www.dusette.net
    RoninDusette@github

Quote Originally Posted by RoninDusette View Post
    Trifecta has an article on their blog about their experience with tuning that particular cam for the LUJ and the LUV. Just go to the website. It's in their blog. I just read it the other day and it offers a lot of insight for the stage one cam and what goes into installing it and what you need to do to tune it so it works right
    Their post is next to worthless from a tuning perspective.

Ended up using Emu Black standalone ECU and doing it there instead for unrelated reasons, but here's the current cam angles i am using.
    VYkoGYRRys.png

Both cams retard up to -60 degrees. When the engine starts, both of them start at about 0 degrees. So you can translate it to correct numbers in hptuners.

AF9uQpFpaB.png

200-220 g/s of airflow compared to the stock turbo and cams max 130 g/s, at 10 degrees of timing and 1.3 bar (18.8 psi) of boost. No horsepower numbers yet (no dyno), but it results in 14.5 - 15 seconds from 100 km/h (62 mph) to 200 km/h (124 mph) in a 1300 kg (2866 lbs) car. 100 RON fuel, 0% alcohol, still very knock limited.
    Measured with a dragy.

z6Mqbv0RsW.png