Thread: 4L80E No 3rd or 4th Gear

4L80E No 3rd or 4th Gear

I am trying to help a friend, this tune was done by another shop. I am not good on the transmission tuning and wanted to post a tune and log to see if anyone can comb it over and notice anything obvious.

Background
    Square body S10 Gen 3 6.0 4l80e swap
    Mild cam
    Holley midrise,
    42ib racetronix injectors

He took it to a dyno tuner, no 3rd or 4th gear in part throttle or WOT.

Replaced transmission thinking it was bad, drove replacement before pulling had all gears.
    Replacement has same issue as original transmission

Checked the harness 3 times, all wires are pinned into the round connector correctly and the PCM side correct. Continuity checks out correctly.
    Replaced the PCM with 2 more PCMS, segment swapped the 80e from other known good files. Used another original 6.0 80e base file and copied over the other tuners engine settings over.
    Same issue.
    ISS and VSS are reading and working as should, tire size and gear ratio is right and not errored out. Engine grounds are good.

No 3rd or 4th...
    When I manually command 3rd or 4th gear with KOEO in VCM scanner the solenoid clicks rapidly, like a PWM sound. Is this normal?
    The only logical thing I can think of is the timing or fuel tables are keeping it from going into 3rd, and 4th.
    What do you guys think? jeremy tranny issue.hpljeremys pos reflash.hpt
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

I might also add at the beginning of this log he had the ISS and VSS conenctors reversed, I swapped them while still logging, noticed it as soon as i started it. I fixed it then started driving midways through the log file. Same issue
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Quote Originally Posted by JHPerformance View Post
    I swapped them while still logging
    Still did it after a key cycle? Often stuff is disabled until the next key-off when problems are detected.

screenshot.22-02-2023 09.35.49.png

If it's not the transmission, and it's not the PCM, and it's not the tune file, what's left?

screenshot.22-02-2023 09.43.21.png

If possible, backprobe between E & B at the 20-way with a load (brake light bulb or similar), still connected to the trans. Or tap in by piercing close to the 20-way if backprobing isn't possible. Command 3rd. Just verify the circuit can carry current without dropping out.

If it blinks or drops out, move one leg of the test light from 20-way B to battery positive. That splits the circuit in half, makes it easier to pin down which side the problem is on. If that's OK, put one leg back to 20-way B and other leg to chassis ground and retest (though a problem on 20-way B is unlikely, since it seems the other solenoids that share it are working).

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Still did it after a key cycle? Often stuff is disabled until the next key-off when problems are detected.

screenshot.22-02-2023 09.35.49.png

If it's not the transmission, and it's not the PCM, and it's not the tune file, what's left?

screenshot.22-02-2023 09.43.21.png

If possible, backprobe between E & B at the 20-way with a load (brake light bulb or similar), still connected to the trans. Or tap in by piercing close to the 20-way if backprobing isn't possible. Command 3rd. Just verify the circuit can carry current without dropping out.

If it blinks or drops out, move one leg of the test light from 20-way B to battery positive. That splits the circuit in half, makes it easier to pin down which side the problem is on. If that's OK, put one leg back to 20-way B and other leg to chassis ground and retest (though a problem on 20-way B is unlikely, since it seems the other solenoids that share it are working).
    Yes still doing it after key cycle, I will check the current load and report back! Thank you!
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Well I figured it out, the problem was in engine> shift light. The guy he had tune it had the shift light enabled and a bunch of enable settings which was causing the shift solenoids to pulse to ground. I ended up putting a new TPS on, rewiring the transmission, redoing the power and ground circuits, a 4th PCM. All to be the engine side of the tune.

Can someone make sense as to why those shift light settings would cause the shift solenoids to rapidly pulse when commanded?

Took stock shift light settings from a 99 6.0 4l80e truck (disabled) and its fixed.
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

After looking at it C2 47 is the shift light on manual p01 setups
    C2 47 is the 2-3 solenoid on automatic transmissions.
    Dude had manual engine settings on automatic file