Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 f-150 advice

2019-2020 f-150 advice

So I just purchased and downloaded the software in order to tune my F150 with a 3.5 eco-boost. I?m researching all the background information and watching videos to assist on the general knowledge. I?ve done some minor modifications (exhaust and intake) and from what I?m seeing, the main thing is to do is dial in my fuel air ratios based on the new modifications and possibly adjust the desired torque to get some gains. Am I understanding this correctly? Any advice as I start researching more, will be appreciated!

So if I?m understanding this correctly, I can record my a/f reading while driving and reference back by replaying the log. It?ll then show me the new a/f with recent modifications and will let me know a basis of what I need to adjust to get back into desired parameters?

So I?m studying more (I?m assuming I?m too novice for people to respond thinking they are wasting their time) and got into adjusting airflow based on modifications. I?m seeing that there are mas, map, and ve used for corrections. Which does the ecoboost (3.5) use for tuning that require adjusting (if not all)? Hopefully this is a better question for you guys.

Advanced Tuner
    Hello and welcome! You will used long and short term trim adjustments and mapped points to tell you which mapped point in the speed density calculator to adjust for fuel corrections.

Thank you for the response. I have a few minor intake and exhaust mods so I?ll have to check trims to see if it needs adjusted. I was told as long at the trims are within 5% that they should be considered accurate or should they still be dialed in?

Advanced Tuner
    Depends on your level of trust in fords fueling mechanics and your OCD level. All jokes aside, I dont flinch much till they creep into the 8-9 percent mark. On my own stuff of course. It is very different for my Customers.

One of the main things I have had people mention on other forums is to remove the Power Enrichment delay. I believe the f-150 has a delay of 120 seconds (would pretty much disable). I was wondering if that was for a particular reason on the 3.5? I can not find much other info on it.

Am I at least understanding it properly? Whenever the engine gets to a higher rpm or pedal value, the lambda changes into a richer mix. From what I read, the richer mix is normally there to help protect the engine from heat which in-turn lower performance but these 3.5 engine adjust cam timing and spark while in power enrichment to produce more power than just standard 1 lambda throughout the entire rpm range??
    Last edited by Perna00; 03-04-2023 at 05:46 AM.

Tuner in Training
    What motor do you have. I have a tune for 2019 f150 2.7 Ecoboost.

I got the 3.5. I?ve been working with a member on this site and have slowly been adjusting torque limits/requests as well as other minor tweaks as I?m learning the systems and becoming familiar with it. Thanks for the offer though!

If Your just getting into tuning a Ecoboost, you have a lot to learn. Ford's system is pretty complicated, but not impossible to learn. Just takes time, and you will make mistakes along the way, we all do.

Quote Originally Posted by skylinedan View Post
    If Your just getting into tuning a Ecoboost, you have a lot to learn. Ford's system is pretty complicated, but not impossible to learn. Just takes time, and you will make mistakes along the way, we all do.
    I'd have to second that. I had been tuning for several years but I still took several months of intense study before attempting my first Ecoboost. Many Ecoboosts later I still learned some really helpful stuff on a 2.3 Ranger a few weeks ago. And that bit of helpful stuff made a big difference. I would not deter anybody from diving in....just suggesting LOTS of reading and very careful first steps. There are some really great folks on here. You can do it with patience and their generous help.

Thanks for the info. I am getting some help and reading a lot of info. There are a few people that want to help but it seems like you need to have some decent knowledge prior to ?earning? their response! I was able to adjust Driver demand and torque maxes to increase some power. I hit a cylinder pressure limit for spark I was able to tweek to get above that. My latest limit to slightly increase is popcorn which may be starting to get to my max without major part replacements. I?m running 93 fuel and my KOA is .61 (I think near -1 is ideal but not sure how mine is .61 running 93).

I believe my limit is coming from the LSPI tables which I can adjust top valves but I?m trying to understand them better before modifying. I see there are high, norm, and low. This says it depends on your octane adjustments but maybe I?m looking at the wrong value. Those tables are based on temp. I also see the max load on max LSPI that seems to be the line my torque demand is following. Anyone have some insight to provide??

Advanced Tuner
    LSPI tables blend based on KOM value, worst KOM is the low, 0 is normal, best KOM is hi.

The value of KOM kind of depends on year, the mustang, -1 is best and 1 is worst... But at some point Ford changed it, usually some time after 2017, based on your numbers it would appear that 1 is best.

There's a knock vs octane table that defines this, though the exact name and number escape me at the moment (not in front of a computer).

The LSPI tables are a hard load limit that are indexed by RPM and air charge temperature, I would leave the low rpm areas alone (2000 rpm and under) and anything over 120 degrees F, anything over that should be mostly safe to increase to a point.
    Last edited by Seishuku; 03-20-2023 at 11:04 PM.

Thank you for the clarification… That is the part I was not understanding was the reverse values of the octane modifier. It had me second-guessing myself. The only other question is that there is also a max LSPI load limit based on RPM that is set lower than the temp limits. Will that need adjusted also (table 6835)?

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I would imagine that would need to be raised as well, not totally sure when that is used though.
    Looking at a stock F150 3.5 tune, if I were to guess I'd say it's used as an absolute max load, if it were to overshoot the LSPI and hit the max limit, it would take more drastic measures to cut load (any or all: pull timing, cut throttle, close wastegate, etc).

That?s exactly what?s it?s doing. The main effect is closing the throttle body and limiting the load very closely to the LSPI tables. I?m going to adjust the load limits up and see how it tracks. I?m running about 1.8 load but it drops and throttle closes at higher RPM?s. From researching, it seems like 1.9-2.0 carried through is about the limit on a ?close-to-stock? vehicle w/ higher octane. Would that seem like a realistic goal?

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I'd have to look at the logs, but I think the last 3.5 I helped on ran around 2.0 load before hitting fuel window limit.

Advanced Tuner
    how would you set up histogram to be able to tune speed density for fuel corrections? i have a 17 focus st with catles sp cold air and exhaust and im still high teens in ltft at idle and when driving and all. wanting to see if i can adjust the fueling to help it out. even on stock file it had very high ltft, no vacuum leaks as if you rev to 3k the fuel trims dont go to zero. hes got good plugs, smoke tested and passed and done a gdi induction cleaning to try to help and nothing works. car drivers me nuts

Tuner in Training

Fuel air ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by Perna00 View Post
    So I just purchased and downloaded the software in order to tune my F150 with a 3.5 eco-boost. I?m researching all the background information and watching videos to assist on the general knowledge. I?ve done some minor modifications (exhaust and intake) and from what I?m seeing, the main thing is to do is dial in my fuel air ratios based on the new modifications and possibly adjust the desired torque to get some gains. Am I understanding this correctly? Any advice as I start researching more, will be appreciated!
    You can run the vcm scanner and watch short term fuel to see if you running lean or not. You can copy the graft and paste it VE table under airflow , speed density to get it lined out.
    But before you make any changes to ECM make sure to save the stock form. Then copy and paste the file rename it and make the changes to it.
    Last edited by crown159; 03-22-2023 at 03:33 PM.

Tuner in Training

Fuel delay

Quote Originally Posted by Perna00 View Post
    One of the main things I have had people mention on other forums is to remove the Power Enrichment delay. I believe the f-150 has a delay of 120 seconds (would pretty much disable). I was wondering if that was for a particular reason on the 3.5? I can not find much other info on it.

Am I at least understanding it properly? Whenever the engine gets to a higher rpm or pedal value, the lambda changes into a richer mix. From what I read, the richer mix is normally there to help protect the engine from heat which in-turn lower performance but these 3.5 engine adjust cam timing and spark while in power enrichment to produce more power than just standard 1 lambda throughout the entire rpm range??
    I set mine at 30 secs.