Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Request: log files from stock LSA

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Trans won't make the shift any quicker than 0.300s no matter how low I drop the commanded. Seems about normal for a stock unit from other ones I've seen; the 6L's will shift much much quicker, right? I had the shift times all zeroed out for a while but it doesn't like that, it does something weird to the adaptives over time and it ends up dragging the shift out to ~1 second with a real bad double-bump - it also did that stock before anything was changed in the tune. It will shift firm if I turn down the TM but I like the trans living as long as possible much more than I like firm shifts.

No torque coefficient junk here, this is basically just a Gen 3 in a Gen 4-style box.
    GEN 3 doesn't seem to use adaptive shifts.. at least very well. If it's not shifting fast enough I'd suggest lowering the FMC table. The pressure vs. shift tables will not get you very far.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

I meant Gen 3 as in airflow-based, not torque-based. It's an '06 E40/T42.

Got a CTS-V lid delivered today! I only had to check ebay every day for three years to find one the right price ($600) + right condition (new, complete).

They have become gold! Same with the ZL1 lids.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Senior Tuner
    I meant Gen 3 as in airflow-based, not torque-based. It's an '06 E40/T42.
    You know I shouldn't have classified it as GEN 3.. Really it seems like no 4lXX will make any meaningful learning to hit shift time targets.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Hey, so... the intercooler uses the same 50/50 coolant mix as the engine, right? The coolant recovery jug on this truck is a old-style non-pressurized overflow type. Is there any good reason not to use the engine coolant reservoir as the fill point/reservoir for the intercooler? Like with a single hose from the bottom of the reservoir to a tee in the IC hose that goes to the inlet side of the pump?

(this is what I do at 4:30am while the rest of you normal people are asleep)

Yes any coolant will do and you can run it that way. My STS-V was set up that way. A lot of guys use and under hood tank. I run a 60/40 mix and Red line water wetter. I don't beat on mine as much and have a front mount second heat exchanger and I stay around 15* above ambient cruising.
    2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Senior Tuner
    I wonder how much hot water from the radiator makes it into the reservoir when ambient temps are real hot? One never really paid any attention.

The biggest problem I see is that the coolant reservoir is probably quite a bit lower than the supercharger and makes it more likely to trap air in the SC. They always recommend mounting the reservoir as high as you can get it. I eventually removed the reservoir on my Camaro because I had trouble trapping air in the SC. And it was mounted above the headers so just heat soaked a lot of water when stopped.

As the engine warms up a small amount of coolant usually goes from the radiator into the jug, but then stays static unless engine temp spikes (pressure rises). But even then it's a small volume.

There really shouldn't be any fluid movement from the jug into the IC circuit once it's filled. I was initially thinking of plumbing it like a true IC reservoir with one line in and one out, but that'd just be dumb. It only needs to be a fill point. And act as a space the IC coolant can expand into; the IC isn't pressurized like the engine coolant so that volume if any will be small too.

Reservoir is located up pretty high and all the way back against the firewall. I'll have to measure it but pretty sure it's higher than all the rest of the plumbing. The height of the liquid level is what counts, not the location of where lines/fittings enter the jug.

Tuning Addict
    You should be OK with that - although I'm not sure I like the idea of the two being able to mix (radiator and SC), but I also assume you're running a pump and air to air intercooler for it? Those things build a lot of heat and have serious problems with air pockets. I always found Royal Purple's chiller adder works good too.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Bosch pump, 15249057, it used to be the aux coolant pump for the stupid rear HVAC on this truck which I have since deleted with extreme prejudice. It's the same part as everything else I've seen being sold as an intercooler pump. I have a ZR1 Vette front heat exchanger but haven't test fit it yet.

Is this correct flow path in the ZR1?

screenshot.06-03-2023 09.01.56--.png

It must be, but I can't make sense of the heat exchanger. If I put water in any one of the fittings, it comes out all the others. It wouldn't do that if the tanks were divided/double pass. But if it's not double pass then the plumbing layout makes no sense.

Senior Tuner
    I do a lot of trailblazer stuff.

These tanks are expensive (labor intensive) but make a remarkable difference on magnacharged/LSA stuff. There is a overflow port that could be incorporated but the tank is so big if you leave it low by a inch it will never make much of a difference hooking up a overflow tank.

heat-ex.jpg

https://www.pcmofnc.com/product/tbss...ger-reservoir/

for the front heat exchange.. You can buy one really reasonably priced from magnacharger. I want to say i've paid $100 ish for them before.. Bolts right in and goes.

As far as the routing.. Don't follow GM. Do it in a way that is self bleeding. Tank to pump, pump to lowest spot on heat exchanger, out of highest spot on heat exchanger to lowest port on aftercooler, out top of aftercooler to tank.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Senior Tuner
    aghh.. lastly. And I only have one for magnachargers.. but we do a 4 inch intake that goes into the fenderwell. I've seen 60 rwhp from them. I'd encourage building a really nice big (4 inch at least) intake piped to outside air.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

I don't wanna copy the GM design, I just don't understand what the water hose test tells me about what's inside the tanks of this HX. Diagram only works if it's dual pass, my hose test sure looks like it's single pass with the two fittings on each tank in parallel (this is the 20759871 '09-'13 Corvette piece, btw). Or maybe a bleed hole in the baffles/dividers? Something weird is going on.

Trust me, I know how bad the stock airbox/washer jug setup sucks. That adapter elbow thing at the filter that goes from 4" down to 3.25 makes me mad every time I look at it, it's just wrong. But... making the most power possible will just break more stuff faster. I have to keep reminding myself that too.

Senior Tuner
    If thats the case why even put the blower on it? come on.. dont be a b
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Buying shit you can't afford on credit has ruined several whole generations of hot rodding. Or what hot rodding used to be about.

Magazines used to have real info in them, now they are half glossy ads and the other half is articles pimping the latest hot items you can buy from the sponsors. The 'builds' are collections of parts donated by sponsors.

Social media influencers get free shit and then tell all their followers how great the thing is and that they should definitely go buy one, until next week's post where a different new free item will appear which is now the best thing you can get, and last week is stuffed into the memory hole.

Not really feeling a lot of love for this new world.

me:
    Hi. Is the front intercooler used in the '06-'09 Trailblazer kit
    available separately?
    Magnuson:
    Thank you for contacting Magnuson Products.
    The replacement low temp radiator is $1,016.00 plus shipping and current availability is estimated at 4-week lead time.
    Please let us know if you have additional questions and/or need to place an order.
    Kind regards,
    Magnuson Sales Support

Senior Tuner
    me:

Magnuson:
    Yikes.. I put a Camaro Magnacharger on my TBSS when I had it and bought the intercooler separately (a couple times) and felt like the first time was $110. We've done this a couple times for LSA swapped TBSS's too
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com