Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Request: log files from stock LSA

Senior Tuner
    I asked my sales person to check the price.. They said that things have changed a lot over the last couple years. We used to custom order kits for odd setups and that went away or at least is a lot harder to do.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

My ZR1 HX will work fine. Looking at it closer it does function as a dual pass, just the dividers in the tanks are only welded/brazed in one little spot and don't seal completely. There's some bypass around them.

Pump outlet into the bottom left HX fitting, across, loop the two RH fittings, across again, out the top left HX fitting to the brick, out from the brick into the tank, out from the tank into the pump inlet. Yes, it will purge better with the full flow going into and then out of whatever tank I decide to use.

Assuming my MSPaint guess is correct as to how the stock ZR1 is plumbed, I cannot think of a worse way to plumb it. It's constantly feeding air to the pump inlet! How would you ever get all the air out of that damn catch tank thing - it has no fill point, only an in, an out, and a drain fitting in the bottom? The flow goes IN the top fitting in the HX, and OUT the bottom one?! Where's the air gonna go?!! What??

...if I cut the RH tank open and remove the divider on that end I could then also weld up the two fittings and not need to loop a hose...

Last dumb n00b question (yeah, right...), probably specifically for Alvin...

Will the stock tank unit/regulator work OK with a 340lph pump? Stock regulator flow enough to keep pressure in check? It looks way tiny to me but if it works it works.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    My ZR1 HX will work fine. Looking at it closer it does function as a dual pass, just the dividers in the tanks are only welded/brazed in one little spot and don't seal completely. There's some bypass around them.

Pump outlet into the bottom left HX fitting, across, loop the two RH fittings, across again, out the top left HX fitting to the brick, out from the brick into the tank, out from the tank into the pump inlet. Yes, it will purge better with the full flow going into and then out of whatever tank I decide to use.

Assuming my MSPaint guess is correct as to how the stock ZR1 is plumbed, I cannot think of a worse way to plumb it. It's constantly feeding air to the pump inlet! How would you ever get all the air out of that damn catch tank thing - it has no fill point, only an in, an out, and a drain fitting in the bottom? The flow goes IN the top fitting in the HX, and OUT the bottom one?! Where's the air gonna go?!! What??
    All radiators/heat exchangers are plumbed this way for heat dissipation even heater cores flow in the top and out the bottom. That's why they do it that way is to make it better for getting rid of heat - not air - also why most require vacuum bleeding now. Once the air is bleed out it shouldn't get any more in it unless it gets low and they do require a special procedure to get the air out with running the pump with the top bleeder open and filling it and the reservoir with coolant, but even then the reservoir size and setup will make up for a lot of that. If it back fills the pump and cooler due to it's location for example it will bleed out pretty easily... With yours being mounted up high like it will be, you honestly shouldn't have a problem with either way you plumb it.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Last dumb n00b question (yeah, right...), probably specifically for Alvin...

Will the stock tank unit/regulator work OK with a 340lph pump? Stock regulator flow enough to keep pressure in check? It looks way tiny to me but if it works it works.
    We use/sell a 450 walbro that has been great.. No issues.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner

I think I wrote this out already but hardly anyone.. aftermarket or OEM plumb these things I think correctly. reservoir feed the pump.. Pump into the lowest things to the highest. Make it self bleeding.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    We use/sell a 450 walbro that has been great.. No issues.
    I think I measured the orifice in the little pod regulator at like 0.073". Crazy that little hole can bypass enough, but if you say it works then it works.

This is from the Magnuson instructions...
    screenshot.08-03-2023 09.24.41.png

Tuning Addict
    Pretty much everything there. Reservoir depends on what the person is after and what they'll use it for. If it's going to be tracked for instance a lot of people will fill the reservoirs with ice water and feed that straight to the brick, so they'll plumb the reservoir into the opposite line. I've even seen setups with two reservoirs basically on both sides and both filled with ice water. Personally I do it like the magnuson diagram with the hot side going in the top - if setup that way - and come out the bottom. They aren't that hard to bleed either way as long as the reservoir or general fill point is kept high.

You'll also want to keep in mind that if you're going to use the reservoir as just a reservoir then it's going to be a lot harder to bleed the air out. It really needs to be a flow through, which honestly wouldn't be that hard to add a nipple in the top to attach a hose to.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 03-15-2023 at 08:50 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Senior Tuner
    This is from the Magnuson instructions...
    screenshot.08-03-2023 09.24.41.png
    That looks great to me.

If you happen to use ice..put a screen in the reservoir.. It will kill the pump. Also wouldn't be a good idea to send ice to the heat exchanger up front.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

LOL, NO! No ice! No 2.25" blower pulleys! Stock transmission! Stop that!

Senior Tuner
    oh yeah.. forgot this was a "just the tip" build lol
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

It turns out that it is much more frustrating to put a pump in the stock basket assembly contraption if you wait a year between complete disassembly and reassembly. That thing has about 35 different parts and they only go together one way. Except for some parts, which can be assembled any of several different ways, only one of which is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    In that case try lowering your force motor current a touch in the lower torque settings. That'll pretty much do the same thing as increasing line and hold pressure.

Yes 6speeds can shift super fast even without decreasing shift time settings or increasing pressures. Requires a lot of tuning though.
    So what is up with the positive AND negative FMC? Which one do you modify? Both look the same so do both?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuning Addict
    Personally haven't had the luxury of tuning one of these standalone OS's, but looking through the calibration there are actually a few duplicate tables with identical settings. I would modify them and keep them the same - kind of like having to make the VE 1 and 2 tables the same every time you changed one. So modify one then copy and paste into the other differently named table.

~Greg Huggins~

Personally haven't had the luxury of tuning one of these standalone OS's, but looking through the calibration there are actually a few duplicate tables with identical settings. I would modify them and keep them the same - kind of like having to make the VE 1 and 2 tables the same every time you changed one. So modify one then copy and paste into the other differently named table.
    So when you reduce them is it a very small percentage? 2-5%? Or something like 10%?

Tuning Addict
    Don't decrease the whole table - just the areas of torque and throttle where you cruise. Adjustments depend a lot on how worn the trans is and what you're after.

On built transmissions for example a lot of the time you have to increase the values for 0 pedal P & D shifts to soften them up and not have horrible bangs into gear. More worn transmissions I have had to take up to 20% out in some areas, but at that point you're fighting a never ending uphill battle. I would start with 2 to 5 just to see how it acts for you then go from there and keep the transitions smooth.

~Greg Huggins~

Don't decrease the whole table - just the areas of torque and throttle where you cruise. Adjustments depend a lot on how worn the trans is and what you're after.

On built transmissions for example a lot of the time you have to increase the values for 0 pedal P & D shifts to soften them up and not have horrible bangs into gear. More worn transmissions I have had to take up to 20% out in some areas, but at that point you're fighting a never ending uphill battle. I would start with 2 to 5 just to see how it acts for you then go from there and keep the transitions smooth.
    Know what you mean by having to soften up the low TQ areas. Some of these re builders like them to break your teeth when you are just cruising to the 7-11. Going to have to gives those a try