Thread: Simos8.5 Audi 3.0 V6 TFSI

Tuner in Training

Tune review Simos8.5 Audi 3.0T

Hi all,

This is my Q5 3.0T daily that I've been tinkering with a bit. Car is largely stock except for K&N pod filter in stock air box and upgraded intake hose (RKX and highly recommended) I've attached the original OEM file and my latest Stg1 tune for 98ron for comparison. I've succeeded in getting my 0-100kmh down to 4.8 sec but have some areas that I'd like to improve on.

MAP plateaus off at around 194kPa except for the odd bump up near 198kPa. Are there any tweaks to get to ~198kPa or even 200+ across a larger percentage of a WOT run? This might be of interest to some, I could not exceed ~191kPa for love or money prior to the intake upgrade, so this inexpensive mod definitely helps maxing out stg1 tunes at the top end on the 3.0T. An open top airbox gains a little more cylinder airmass in cooler ambient and IAT's but loses a lot in warmer weather or when heat soak is present, so I've experimented with removing the airflow director inside the box that angles the incoming air downwards and this has given a good middle ground in terms of not increasing IAT's, allowing some of the sweet SC sound to be heard and reduced airflow restriction.

For fueling I've mainly used OEM base lambda targets but a modified enrichment table, mainly OEM for first 2-3 seconds of demand, then gradually increasing the enrichment from about 4-5 seconds of demand. Has anyone found a good enrichment strategy? Are there any gains to be had in adding fuel in the first few seconds of enrichment or would modifying the base fuel tables provide any benefit, on initial tip-in?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Diesel_Enthuse; 03-20-2023 at 04:20 PM. Reason: removed some outdated info

Tuner in Training
    I'll provide a log file shortly

Tuner in Training
    q5-21-03-wot-3rd-gear-run.hpl

Also check below link - I found this Audi self study program pdf download on the EA837 super informative - I'd go as far as to say that you'll save yourself a fair amount of time if you read this before attempting tuning on the 3.0T tfsi

https://vwcampersite.files.wordpress...fsi_engine.pdf
    Last edited by Diesel_Enthuse; 03-29-2023 at 06:00 PM. Reason: added file

Tuner in Training
    Another run in slightly cooler ambient this morning and with some upwards tweaks to torque request in the ranges that were plateauing and bingo - an improvement in MAP 201kPa !

The richest settings in my enrichment table are around 0.85 lambda, however the actual lambda on the majority of this run is 0.80. Is this likely to be component protection? If so, is 0.80 a good fueling strategy or should I tweak enrichment tables richer in a more linear fashion to reduce need for component protection? Currently it is set at 950degC, I suspect this is on conservative side but not sure how high to go without causing damage. Any input is appreciated.

WOT-run-22-3-q5.png

22-03-2-wot-run-q5.hpl

Tuner in Training
    You hit 1800f in the first log, I thought you may have needed a bit more fuel to cool things down.
    I have Piss poor 91 octane gas here in California and run it at 0.90 at low revs down to 0.80 at the top.
    Also upped ECM:27485 at the high end to help in supplying fuel.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrill View Post
    You hit 1800f in the first log, I thought you may have needed a bit more fuel to cool things down.
    I have Piss poor 91 octane gas here in California and run it at 0.90 at low revs down to 0.80 at the top.
    Also upped ECM:27485 at the high end to help in supplying fuel.
    Thanks TheDrill, tried the extra fuel and its certainly more responsive and EGT doesnt get so high. What pressure do you run at? I increased it in top end by 1000kPa to 12500, just dont know what the safe limit is...

Tuner in Training
    If your recirculation valve is staying closed, you are essentially moving as much air as mechanically possible. Only improvements from there are to your intake setup. Log ambient and the pre throttle body MAP sensor, the larger the delta the more room for improvement.

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate your note, mtb703, will look into this and LYK how I go.

On another note, I've been tweaking intake valve timing. Initially I advanced by 5 degrees in the WOT range and noticed a reduction in top end power but an increase in MAP pressure. I then retarded the intake timing by 5 degrees across the WOT range and then smoothed out to be more consistent. After a couple of runs I found that I had reduced 0-100kmh by another 0.2 seconds which was very pleasing. Has anyone else experimented with this or discovered further gains in this area?

Tuner in Training
    For anyone - please see this screen grab from carscanner on the 2013 s/c 3.0T. My understanding is that the airflow is calculated from MAP as there is no MAF on this engine, is that accurate?

FYI - I haven't changed anything in VE tables.

I have made some minor changes to VCT in WOT area, i.e. less than 2 degrees.

I've made changes in Torque to Aircharge and Aircharge to Torque tables at the top end only, to prevent torque intervention from TCM but doubt this would effect the MAF reading. Notice the recorded torque is virtually unaffected by the MAF reading. Also notice the bypass valve isn't opening until above 6k rpm

Can anyone explain the spikes in the air flow?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    In addition to the above, I now have the same type of mystifying event occurring when I log on VCM, see below hpl and screen grab.

Any ideas???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files