Thread: Review My Tune? Med 17.1 4.0t

Tuner in Training

Review My Tune? Med 17.1 4.0t

I'm making this thread for insight, open to any criticism.

2013 S6 with Rs7 turbos

Mainly wondering if I am approaching the tq tuning/driver demand correctly?

Turbo settings? Most of it is copied from stock rs7 map since it is the same turbos.

Also I am wondering about tq limits under the general tab of torque managment , should I be raising these? I haven't touched them initially because the rs7 makes more power but the limits are set the same

My complaint about the tune is that I want to request more power, ive managed to do so, but when I do the car is making more power on partial throttle than full throttle.
    Ive managed to work out that kink, but now I want to get more power without the partial throttle overboosting.

The car also will not request more than 60% TQ

Any insight is appreciated. I will attach my file, a stock s6 file, and the rs7 file I use for reference as well.

I know this side of the forum isnt high traffic but hopefully someone with experience with Med 17.1 can chime in

thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by boostboy; 02-28-2023 at 03:03 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by boostboy View Post
    I'm making this thread for insight, open to any criticism.

2013 S6 with Rs7 turbos

Mainly wondering if I am approaching the tq tuning/driver demand correctly?

Turbo settings? Most of it is copied from stock rs7 map since it is the same turbos.

Also I am wondering about tq limits under the general tab of torque managment , should I be raising these? I haven't touched them initially because the rs7 makes more power but the limits are set the same

My complaint about the tune is that I want to request more power, ive managed to do so, but when I do the car is making more power on partial throttle than full throttle.
    Ive managed to work out that kink, but now I want to get more power without the partial throttle overboosting.

The car also will not request more than 60% TQ

Any insight is appreciated. I will attach my file, a stock s6 file, and the rs7 file I use for reference as well.

I know this side of the forum isnt high traffic but hopefully someone with experience with Med 17.1 can chime in

thanks!

Just wanted to add to this thread. I changed a few things around. More importantly I raised those tq limits, and man its smooth as ever and making a lot of boost,Car isnt knocking at the boost levels ive set it too. Overall tweaking and logging will answer any questions you have in due time.
    Last edited by boostboy; 03-25-2023 at 01:19 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I know it's not your latest but tune with the torque mods but note the changes under Airflow/Pressure Control/General
    Torque Model/General & Monitoring
    Torque Management - all
    Not sure how it compares to your latest but this is how I would've done it: 91-e30 S6 2_23 x chev.hpt

Note I put Optimum Torque (Monitoring) back to oem, because raising those in my car lowers power. I lowered your Torque to Load because of that, in case it made too much boost, so adj as needed.
    The other settings under the torque sections all have a reason, but feel free to ask if it doesn't make sense.
    Under Airflow I lowered the values and also modded that spark retard table a lot. With more Max Desired Load I think that spark table needed a huge adjustment to pull it back down under ping. My car does that but there is no chart available in HP to adjust it, but it works fine as is and pulls power at or even before -3deg retard. My Max Desired is based on eng water temp, not intake air temp, which makes me wonder if you have an intercooler? But I also wonder if it's true because some charts in mine have IAT where it makes no sense, and not respond to IAT so I think it's mislabeled? Maybe yours is too but I just don't know, but if no intercooler it would make sense.
    I put your air filter loss back to oem because in mine it seemed to cost me power. It makes sense to change it, but many things just don't work as expected. My theory is if thinks the flow is better it lowers boost in response? Just a theory...

I would also lower the engine temp in the Fans section. After tweaking mine I've never hit 220F and usually hover ~200-210 at idle and even in the summer I don't exceed 215. I can't imagine it getting to 230-240. Fyi my fans are set to 0% 194F to 100% at 220F
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    I know it's not your latest but tune with the torque mods but note the changes under Airflow/Pressure Control/General
    Torque Model/General & Monitoring
    Torque Management - all
    Not sure how it compares to your latest but this is how I would've done it: 91-e30 S6 2_23 x chev.hpt

Note I put Optimum Torque (Monitoring) back to oem, because raising those in my car lowers power. I lowered your Torque to Load because of that, in case it made too much boost, so adj as needed.
    The other settings under the torque sections all have a reason, but feel free to ask if it doesn't make sense.
    Under Airflow I lowered the values and also modded that spark retard table a lot. With more Max Desired Load I think that spark table needed a huge adjustment to pull it back down under ping. My car does that but there is no chart available in HP to adjust it, but it works fine as is and pulls power at or even before -3deg retard. My Max Desired is based on eng water temp, not intake air temp, which makes me wonder if you have an intercooler? But I also wonder if it's true because some charts in mine have IAT where it makes no sense, and not respond to IAT so I think it's mislabeled? Maybe yours is too but I just don't know, but if no intercooler it would make sense.
    I put your air filter loss back to oem because in mine it seemed to cost me power. It makes sense to change it, but many things just don't work as expected. My theory is if thinks the flow is better it lowers boost in response? Just a theory...

I would also lower the engine temp in the Fans section. After tweaking mine I've never hit 220F and usually hover ~200-210 at idle and even in the summer I don't exceed 215. I can't imagine it getting to 230-240. Fyi my fans are set to 0% 194F to 100% at 220F
    Hey chev thanks for the help, I finally got a chance to try that file and log it. The desired map and actual are always on point or very close
    I'm also seeing 99% tq request so both of those are good improvements.

as for the feel its smooth and torquey across the whole rev range. That file you modified isnt my most current so there were some changes that you made that are actually
    very similar to the ones I did in the latest revision such as the indicated tq limts.

I also tried the fan thing, I can hear the fans activate sooner now, the scaling I put definitely makes more sense. Also I saw what you meant about the tq settings, I wasnt sure
    how to read those so i left them alone but the changes you made also do make sense and it feels better for sure.

Man I have to say, after my latest revison I thought it was perfect, but after trying yours, I see that it definitely wasnt. The logs were good on your file.
    for the final product I will just add a couple tweaks from my map onto there and I'm excited about the results.

I should also add that the Throttle inlet pressure actual is consistently on point , something I was having issues with as well

also yeah its based on IAT i am not sure why its set up like that but this car does have an intercooler. It is a water to air system with an intercooler brick connected to the intake manifold, and then a w2a heat exchanger at the front of the car
    Last edited by boostboy; 03-09-2023 at 03:25 PM.

Cool any help would be greatly appreciated ..

i have med 17.1 . my parameters are different . does any one know how to change the rpm limit while in p/n ... have not been able to get that in drive under 2mph to work either. i did something similar with a supercharged g5 i had a while back but these tables are beating my brain , i wonder if miss labling is a factor here.Audi-A4-Stage-1_Revision_1.hpt catless down pipe is all i have installed. any one know how to change those limits? i seem to find people who know other software but these tables are totally different from theirs. stock tune -> audi A4 S-line Stock tune (Do Not Mod).hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperG5 View Post
    i have med 17.1 . my parameters are different . does any one know how to change the rpm limit while in p/n ... have not been able to get that in drive under 2mph to work either. i did something similar with a supercharged g5 i had a while back but these tables are beating my brain , i wonder if miss labling is a factor here.Audi-A4-Stage-1_Revision_1.hpt catless down pipe is all i have installed. any one know how to change those limits? i seem to find people who know other software but these tables are totally different from theirs. stock tune -> audi A4 S-line Stock tune (Do Not Mod).hpt
    I really wanted to help but it seems that table is missing from yours. I do have that option under fuel/ Cuttof, DFCO under RPM limits, but yours is different

thanks for the confirmation , I had made a ticket before and got an awesome response

Advanced Tuner
    Isn't there an offset in the rev limit section? I assumed the greater the offset under P/N, the lower the rev limit in P/N would be.
    I suppose plug in an offset 2k shy of your normal limiter and see if it hits it at 2k? Eg; if your normal limit is 7k, then plug in an offset of 5k.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

the only offset parameters are for idle . changing those values didnt effect idle either. i made a ticket , and chris didnt understand me in the first email. im trying to change the rpm limit while in park or neutral . this was my question. i finally got the pops and bangs that i was looking for , do you guys know how to shoot fire? im straight piped btw. ill post a video if i can get it to flame right .

Chris from hp tuners took care of the missing parameters. Looks like I just have to figure out the lambda part for a flame cannon. I have no idea how but here we go!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperG5 View Post
    Chris from hp tuners took care of the missing parameters. Looks like I just have to figure out the lambda part for a flame cannon. I have no idea how but here we go!
    Awesome congrats. I wonder if they will help if I submit a ticket about the missing table to enable flex fuel sensors on this ecu?

lol might be wishful thinking

Awesome congrats. I wonder if they will help if I submit a ticket about the missing table to enable flex fuel sensors on this ecu?

lol might be wishful thinking
    I used one of the files you posted to see the missing parameters. I think i sent that; my file and an info log . 1 week later i have access to more tables, almost feel like buying a better valve train now

Potential Tuner

updates?

Any updates on your tune? Have you got into the trans tune yet?

Hey chev thanks for the help, I finally got a chance to try that file and log it. The desired map and actual are always on point or very close
    I'm also seeing 99% tq request so both of those are good improvements.

as for the feel its smooth and torquey across the whole rev range. That file you modified isnt my most current so there were some changes that you made that are actually
    very similar to the ones I did in the latest revision such as the indicated tq limts.

I also tried the fan thing, I can hear the fans activate sooner now, the scaling I put definitely makes more sense. Also I saw what you meant about the tq settings, I wasnt sure
    how to read those so i left them alone but the changes you made also do make sense and it feels better for sure.

Man I have to say, after my latest revison I thought it was perfect, but after trying yours, I see that it definitely wasnt. The logs were good on your file.
    for the final product I will just add a couple tweaks from my map onto there and I'm excited about the results.

I should also add that the Throttle inlet pressure actual is consistently on point , something I was having issues with as well

also yeah its based on IAT i am not sure why its set up like that but this car does have an intercooler. It is a water to air system with an intercooler brick connected to the intake manifold, and then a w2a heat exchanger at the front of the car