Thread: 2.2 L61 Throwing P606 after reading vehicle

Potential Tuner

2.2 L61 Throwing P606 after reading vehicle

Hey there! I'm brand new to using HP Tuners and as following the setup video, I set up and registered my HPVI3. After setup, I noticed a check engine light and didn't think anything of it because I was in auxiliary mode. I started to read the vehicle to download the stock files and save them, but during the reading process, after the first click of reading my ECM, I ended up getting a little message on my dash where the temperature and milage are saying, "Engine pwr reduced" followed by "Engine Disabled". After the TCM was done being read, i saved my file, and then turned my car from auxiliary mode to off, opened my door so my battery was cut, and then unplugged the HPVI3. I then went to go start my car, saw there was a check engine light still there, and plugged in my FIXD to check the code and clear it, and low and behold P606 was there. I was concerned so I cleared the light, and my car started right up. Going back later to reread the vehicle after I accidentally saved over my stock file trying to follow an article on throttle response, I followed the same process again and the same code popped up after I had plugged in the HPVI3. I did already write the correct tune for the throttle response and have flashed it to that and back to stock, which is where it sits now. Is this something that I should be concerned about, or is this a normal occurrence? The only thing I can find is people getting it after a bad tune file or such. I drive a 2007 Pontiac G5.

Senior Tuner
    Is that P0606? You always need to give the 4 numbers.

The mpvi3 has had some major issues with some of the Cobalt ECMs. These are probably the same ones. Some of them ended up temporarily bricked although I think they were all recovered eventually. I would stop and submit a support ticket to HPT. Especially if you can’t be without the vehicle for a while.

I read a 2011 HHR with the original MPVI and it gave the same code plus a few for the VVT stuff, I cleared them and it started right up.

That is a 2.2 engine as well with the E37 computer. Not sure if it was normal but I noticed the code, never flashed the computer though.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    [QUOTE=gtstorey;719130]Is that P0606? You always need to give the 4 numbers.

The mpvi3 has had some major issues with some of the Cobalt ECMs. These are probably the same ones. Some of them ended up temporarily bricked although I think they were all recovered eventually. I would stop and submit a support ticket to HPT. Especially if you cant be without the vehicle for a while.

The code shows P0606, I will definitely submit a form knowing that they ended up temporarily bricked, as this is my only vehicle for transportation at the moment

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle.shapiro View Post
    The code shows P0606, I will definitely submit a form knowing that they ended up temporarily bricked, as this is my only vehicle for transportation at the moment
    I believe in the saying, "Don't race you paycheck." What are your goals for tuning a G5 anyway?

Potential Tuner
    haha I should start following that saying. My end goal for the car is to supercharge it. i have almost everything to do so but before i started with everything, i wanted to tune my throttle opening rates via a video i saw for my car, the problem occurred.

Senior Tuner
    Don't race your paycheck x10. You better have another vehicle before you start the project.

Potential Tuner
    i?m currently looking at an 84 blazer as a secondary vehicle, i do have a work van to get me around places if needed, but having a second personal vehicle would be much better

Potential Tuner
    see i didn?t have to flash the vehicle for it to even happen, reading the vehicle itself set it off? have you read the computer or flashed since then and gotten the code?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle.shapiro View Post
    see i didn?t have to flash the vehicle for it to even happen, reading the vehicle itself set it off? have you read the computer or flashed since then and gotten the code?
    Who are you asking? I don’t have a ‘3 and I have a different ECM. I’m just passing on what I’ve read here and the DF kit car forum.