Thread: GMC Yukon XL 6.2L disabling AFM

Potential Tuner

GMC Yukon XL 6.2L disabling AFM

I need help with the very basics. What hardware to buy, what models are available in the HP tuners realm.
    My primary goal is to tune out the AFM and maybe at some point do a performance tune. Ideally a canned tune. The 6.2L 2013 GM engine has 40K miles on it, has been replaced by the PO because the previous one failed most likely due to the AFM so I am deeply concerned and want to do it ASAP. I am in DC area.

I did a canned performance tune with another tuner, not as advanced as HP tuners, on a 5.3L GM and was pretty happy. Want to repeat it but that tuner is locked to the vehicle and I want something more advanced anyway. Any assistance is appreciated.

Senior Tuner
    "canned tunes" really aren't a thing for HPT, although I'm sure some tuners have ones that work with basically stock engines fairly well.

To disable it like right now, unplug the brake booster vacuum sensor. It will turn the check engine light on, but affect nothing other than the light and keeping DOD from enabling. That sensor is only used to kick it out of DOD if the vacuum reserve in the booster is depleted.

Potential Tuner
    Location of the brake booster vacuum sensor?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    "canned tunes" really aren't a thing for HPT, although I'm sure some tuners have ones that work with basically stock engines fairly well.
    My previous tuner was the Diablo intune i2030 v2. I tuned the 5.3L once 5 years ago with a performance tune, was happy and then put it away. Was going to tune this 6.2L but then realized I needed to buy a license. Then wondered if I should buy something better anyway. Learn something new, log some files. The handhelds are very limited. I am in IT so don't mind messing with software and a laptop.
    If there is an algorithm here that I can follow. I've read the AFM thread, seems straightforward.

Someone pointed me here, saying the HP tuners is a more serious product.

how does the license thing work? I have 2013 GMC with 6.2L and also a 2012 Ford F550 with V10 I may tune at some point.
    Last edited by dictum; 03-03-2023 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dictum View Post
    Location of the brake booster vacuum sensor?
    In the brake booster. It's a sensor. It has wires going to it. It's the thing stuck into the booster that is not a master cylinder and not a vacuum check valve with the hose going to it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...r+sensor,12739

Senior Tuner
    As far as hardware to buy, there really isn't much but 1 option of MPVI3.

Different vehicles take different numbers of credits. The number required is on HPT's supported vehicle list.

Not sure how much being in IT will help, other than helping get through windows setup/driver issues that can show up. It's more about understanding how engines work and interacting control functions.

Tuner
    If you already own a diablosport and plan on keeping your Yukon stock... Just buy another VIN license for it
    so you can tune out the DOD...
    Unless you want to improve your transmission performance.. Then the HPT would be my choice as you can modify shift scheduling tables along
    with Torque Converter lockup tables which make for a much more enjoyable vehicle

Potential Tuner
    I am thinking what to do. Another canned tune (which served me well) or deep dive into the world of tuning. It does sound enticing, somewhat.

question, if I have a malfunction with something, will the tuner help me diagnose a malfunction, say with fuel delivery or such. It seems it has capabilities other than tuning.

Download & install the software, it's fully functional except you can't save changes to tune files or flash anything - which you can't do anyways unless you have bought the interface.

Very first thing to do when you open the editor, go to Edit > View > select Advanced, otherwise 90% of the settings are hidden.

https://www.hptuners.com/downloads/

Sample file from the repository:
    2011 Yukon XL 6.2 1GKS2MEF7BR170818 1492654820.hpt

Senior Tuner
    The scanner can help perform diagnostic checks. But probably not as good as true diagnostic scanner.

Definitely not as good as a true diagnostic scan tool; it's very tuning-oriented. You can misuse it to do some diag stuff, but there's lots it can't do because it wasn't built for that.