Thread: A buddy of mine got a code P0010. Ramdom no start.

Tuner

A buddy of mine got a code P0010. Ramdom no start.

He's got a Gen 4 Crate motor with new stock ECM. The Truck has been running great until last week when it wouldn't start. It popped the P0010 code. He's got 30-40 psi oil pressure while idling. Most of the time, it will start and run fine, but occasionally it will crank, fire, then immediately quit.
    He's asking if we could just disable the VVT in the tune and if that would take care of the issue. I'm thinking we should fix the real problem and be done with it, but don't know where to start.

Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Senior Tuner
    I would at least start by trying to trouble shoot it. It could be something wrong with the assembly of the engine.

Start by looking up the diagnostic steps in the service manual for that particular model.

Tuner
    That's a mass airflow code... I'd check for mechanical things like a vacumm leak, wiring, loose air intake clamp etc in the air intake system..
    And then clean the MAF, etc
    Likely an old fashioned issue, not a "tune" thing

DTC Descriptor
    DTC P0010: Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfoggy View Post
    That's a mass airflow code... I'd check for mechanical things like a vacumm leak, wiring, loose air intake clamp etc in the air intake system..
    And then clean the MAF, etc
    Likely an old fashioned issue, not a "tune" thing
    No it's not. P0010 is a VVT control solenoid code.

Tuning Addict
    Crate motor? As in crate crate - i.e - higher hp built crate or just a "crate" motor - as in stock replacement? Only reason I ask is because you state you're running a "stock" ecm, but I haven't seen a "crate crate - built" engine come from GM with variable cam timing...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner
    Crap.. I'm wrong.. I looked up P0100... fat finger I guess.
    IF it's a larger cam, then the VVT tables will need to be modified.. And possibly a cam phaser limiter should have been installed too

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Crate motor? As in crate crate - i.e - higher hp built crate or just a "crate" motor - as in stock replacement? Only reason I ask is because you state you're running a "stock" ecm, but I haven't seen a "crate crate - built" engine come from GM with variable cam timing...
    Sorry, I just found out this engine came from a 2015 Denali, but the PCM and harness is from BP Automotive. Finding this out, I told him he needs to check the VVT Solenoid for any trash, and make sure it moves smoothly.
    I'm guessing there's no way to disable VVT tune wise?

Senior Tuner
    2015 Denali? You sure its a Gen 4 and not a Gen 5 DI engine? And Denali is really just a trim level that is used on a lot of different models.

Tuner
    The ECM is an E38 if I remember correctly. He might have got the year wrong, or could it possibly be an early 2015 with a leftover gen 4??

Tuning Addict
    Is it DI or port injection? It wouldn't be out of a denali if it's a gen4 and a 15 model. Unless I'm mistaken the only differences in the early vs older ones were the transmissions they came with - 6 vs 8 speeds and both DI motors.

You can disable vvt, but you're better off to keep it if it's not too much trouble to figure out what's wrong or mismatched...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC