Thread: Logging can-bus data

Logging can-bus data

I see PROLINK+ has a can-bus input and wondering how logging data from can-bus works.

I want to log Lambda and EGT data from can-bus. If my stand alone Lambda and EGT controllers inject their custom can-bus data onto the bus can I then log this using MPVI3 and PROLINK+?

I guess the question is can the VCM Scanner be configured to log multiple can-bus messages. I want to use 14point7 lambda controller and ecumaster egt2can controller. I see the software has build in support for 14point7 controller but how can I also add a second the egt2can controller.

Is no one doing any custom can-bus logging? I need this info before I commit to the purchase.

We don't have the support in-software yet to decode your own CAN frames. It's on our list.

If you send us the device name and CAN format, we can add it to the software.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    We don't have the support in-software yet to decode your own CAN frames. It's on our list.

If you send us the device name and CAN format, we can add it to the software.

Ok thank you, I will check what the CAN details are on the EGT controller. How often do you guys perform updates like these?

This is the controller: https://ecumasterusa.com/products/ec...nel-egt-module

Looks like the CAN details are available here: https://www.ecumaster.com/files/EGT2...N%20Manual.pdf
    Last edited by racemonkey; 03-15-2023 at 11:07 AM.

Can that device be configured to be 500 kb? It appears the PDF says its 1 Mbps
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    Can that device be configured to be 500 kb? It appears the PDF says its 1 Mbps

Yes, fully customizable even the message IDs can be modified.

egt2can.PNG

Potential Tuner
    Can VCM scanner be configured to simply log all CAN BUS traffic--even w/o decoding--just the raw data for other tools to analyze?

Would be awesome if generic can-bus logging was implemented.

Say you specify the frame id and which bytes of the message to log. Then optional math equation if you need to do some conversion/calculation based on the data in those bytes. The math equation could be done in real time or later at log view time, whichever is more efficient.