Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation of VCM Suite Issue

Tuner in Training

Installation of VCM Suite Issue

I bought a new laptop and am trying to download VCM Suite on my new laptop and keep running into the same issue. I get the following error message. Screenshot (44).png

Any idea what's going on or what I have to do to be able to download?

Tuner in Training
    Any ideas? Could it be a problem with Windows 11?

Looks like your userid doesn't have write access to the required directory. Did you set up a userid that you're using that doesn't have admin access?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by OhTwo View Post
    Looks like your userid doesn't have write access to the required directory. Did you set up a userid that you're using that doesn't have admin access?
    Nope, I only have one user ID on my laptop. I tried right clicking the download to hit run as administrator but that doesn't even come up as an option.

Tuner in Training
    Spent the last 2 hours googling solutions and tried everything. Nothing has worked

A couple of things... I don't think Windows offers an Admin install option for a .msi file which is how the normal install files are sent.

(1) Not sure you can install anything so this may not apply but I've never used "Windows 11 S Mode" - if you're in S Mode, you'll probably need to get in regular mode.
    (2) Can you see that directory and if there's anything in it?
    (3) One issue that will cause problems is if something else is using that directory like another install going at the same time or if you have VCM scanner or editor open.
    (4) Try rebooting your laptop if you haven't already.
    (5.a) Open the Windows run dialog box: WINKEY + R
    (5.b) Unregister Windows Installer Module (type in run dialog box): msiexec /unregister
    (5.c) Re-register Windows Installer Module (type in run dialog box): msiexec /regserver
    (5.d) Reboot and try installation again.
    (6) If none of the above fix it, you may need to take ownership of the directory. I do this by right clicking the directory in file explorer (may need to do this to parent directory) and selecting "Properties". Select the "Security" tab and then "Advanced" button. From there you can "Change Permissions" or near the top of the dialog box, select "Change" next to Owner and change to yourself, hit "Apply", then probably reboot but the reboot may not be necessary.

Good luck!
    Last edited by OhTwo; 03-07-2023 at 01:21 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for taking the time to help, I appreciate it.

Tried all of that and then some. Nothing I do seems to work, I keep getting the same message.

Screenshot (47).png

Let me think some more and see if I can come up with something that's really helpful.

Have you tried to install anything else - even the latest HP Tuners Beta? I know that goes to a different directory so maybe a good test.

Anything installed can be deleted.

Brain just popped as I typed - can you delete the directory in question and start installation over (maybe after a reboot)?

If the laptop has an ARM processor, that could be a problem. They are not supported.

https://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Su...ghlight=ARM%20

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by OhTwo View Post
    Let me think some more and see if I can come up with something that's really helpful.

Have you tried to install anything else - even the latest HP Tuners Beta? I know that goes to a different directory so maybe a good test.

Anything installed can be deleted.

Brain just popped as I typed - can you delete the directory in question and start installation over (maybe after a reboot)?
    I installed AutoCAD a few days prior with no issues.

I tried that also. Tried deleting, tried saving to a variety of different places, I get the same error message every time.

Quote Originally Posted by crankz1 View Post
    If the laptop has an ARM processor, that could be a problem. They are not supported.

https://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Su...ghlight=ARM%20
    I have an intel processor i-7 processor.

Advanced Tuner
    I had troubles with loading apps on a new laptop, I had to disable S mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-031bfb28a307

Senior Tuner
    Have you tried a support ticket with HPT?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    I had troubles with loading apps on a new laptop, I had to disable S mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-031bfb28a307
    Just tried it, I keep getting a message stating I am unable to switch out of S mode on this version of Microsoft store.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    Have you tried a support ticket with HPT?
    I did, they've been trying to help me for a while as well

If your computer is stuck in "S mode", i don't believe you'll be able to install any apps outside of the Microsoft STore.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    If your computer is stuck in "S mode", i don't believe you'll be able to install any apps outside of the Microsoft STore.
    Got it off, still won't work

fScreenshot (52).png

Tuner in Training
    Beta won't work either; I get the same error message.

Tuner in Training
    I gave up, I had to dig out my old laptop to use hptuners.

One more thought is to do a fresh install of Windows 11 making sure you're not installing in "S" mode. Rare but I've seen install issues during my career that a fresh install has fixed. They were usually brought on by some weird issue during the original installation.

Tuner in Training
    Okay I’ll give it that a shot when I get home.