Thread: 2013 F350 6.7L- Newbie

Question 2013 F350 6.7L- Newbie

Hello to all
    First time posting and looking for recommendations-
    I am looking at tuners for both gas and diesel engines. Never done tuning before, but not afraid to learn. Seems HPT is only system that lets you do what I'm looking for with one hardware system. Only need to purchase the credits required for vehicles working with. The answer to one of my questions is purposefully unclear, as I have searched these forums front to back. Here goes... can I, as an individual, with zero support or consent of HPT, successfully delete the EGR and DEF systems from my personally owned vehicle? A simple yes or no is all that is required. Many thanks for indulging me.

No, Just HPT is not enough.

Banned
    yes you can..

Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    yes you can..
    So you're saying a person with Just HPTuners and no previous experience or outside help will be able to achieve proper delete?

Banned
    yes. if you have the xdf files for user defined parameters for whatever it is your trying to tune then yes. hptuners is all you need. never said anything about experience though.

Experience is definitely a plus. BUT even HPT makes it hard to FULLY delete the computer system of all of its emissions controls. There are back door work arounds but that normally takes experience or a lot of trial and error.

I am going with an answer of NO on this. just for the experience aspect. If someone is willing to teach said person how to do the backdoor methods then sure.
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Banned
    DEF.PNG

right here. you just 0 out all your DEF and EGR and SCRC. that makes your stock delete. then just adjust what you want after that.

Advanced Tuner
    I didnt think you would be able to get access to that as a user defined parameter with the epa stuff out there now. interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    DEF.PNG

right here. you just 0 out all your DEF and EGR and SCRC. that makes your stock delete. then just adjust what you want after that.
    I would still disagree... I'm simply saying the average guy buying HPT like this guy is with no prior tuning experience, will not have access to XDFs by just purchasing HPT. How would he even know how create the XDF or use user defined parameters properly. I think it gives some false hope.... But i'm sure you could sell him something that'll work

Tuner in Training
    I haven't dived into XDFs or user defined parameters, but I've been curious how the different areas are found in the binaries especially when a new engine is released. Is the source code leaked from a rouge engineer from the mfr? I'd imagine most commercial tuners don't have the skills to disassemble code to that level. There must be some sharing in the backfields going on. A while back I was comparing tables from the MCC software from my old MM days and the base file I downloaded as a starting point when I first bought HPT (from another reputable tuner). The timing tables were identical and too far advanced for my taste compared to stock (noisy and luggy). Overfueling was also a problem. It seemed like there was not much really custom tuning done other than messing with the injection timing and shift tables. I left the injection timing and pressures stock and used the torque to fuel, driver demand and boost tables to get the power curve that's smooth and efficient (not pegging the EGTs from overfueling).

Banned
    jaeger is right.. this is were we separate the boys from the men.. This tuning industry has turned upside down. so many companies claiming to be tuners but they are buying tunes instead of making them. if your just getting started, your going down a long rabbit hole..

One word A2L… lol
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Quote Originally Posted by projectlnf View Post
    Experience is definitely a plus. BUT even HPT makes it hard to FULLY delete the computer system of all of its emissions controls. There are back door work arounds but that normally takes experience or a lot of trial and error.

I am going with an answer of NO on this. just for the experience aspect. If someone is willing to teach said person how to do the backdoor methods then sure.
    Sorry for delayed response(s). I had notifications turned off. Been sitting here thinking no one had replied. LOL
    I agree experience plays a huge part into proper tuning, etc. I further agree some training along with trial and error will be required. But I must also keep in mind that folks have private businesses that would do all this for me. At some point they learned themselves. I come at this from a 'hate not knowing how' perspective. I don't want to go into business, just fix my own stuff. To my original question, I really need to clean up some issues with my gas burners. The possibility of egr delete on my Ford would be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    I would still disagree... I'm simply saying the average guy buying HPT like this guy is with no prior tuning experience, will not have access to XDFs by just purchasing HPT. How would he even know how create the XDF or use user defined parameters properly. I think it gives some false hope.... But i'm sure you could sell him something that'll work
    I agree fully. There must be some difficulty and/or hurdles to overcome or everybody would be doing it. They'd be sending out the women and children to do it.