Thread: (Newbie question) looking for L83 with T87 for 2014 Silverado

Tuner in Training

(Newbie question) looking for L83 with T87 for 2014 Silverado

Hello. As the title says I'm looking for help with creating or finding a stock tune file for a 2014 L83 engine that will have a 8L90E transmission behind it.

For some background information, I am planning to swap a L83 with a 8L90 into a Jeep Wrangler. I have both already, and the L83 has had the AFM cam replaced with a L8T stock cam.

I actually have two ECUs to choose from. I have the 2014 E92 from a Silverado and I have the E92A from a 2019 Tahoe. I also have both a T87 and a T87A transmission controller. As I understand it I need to use the T87 because the T87A needs to be unlocked first.

I'm hoping someone will be able to guide me on what I need.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone is willing to provide.

If I remember correctly - 2014 silverados only came with 6 speed autos.

i think high end 2016 silverados and tahoes might have had 8l90. i'de stay away from transmissions older than 2016 due to the hig cost of tuning the tcu..

i remmember a member over at GMtruckforum did a 6l80 swap to a 8l90 2 years ago. the search function sucks on that forum so you have to use google search of that forum to find the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by regorih View Post
    If I remember correctly - 2014 silverados only came with 6 speed autos.
    That is correct as far as I know, the 5.3 and 6.2 only came with a 6L80e.

The 8 speed started the next year.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Not positive, but pretty sure the L83 didn't get the 8 speed until 2017 with the T87A.
    The 2015 and 2016 L86 did come with the 8L90 and T87, and would likely be the most economical route. Would need one of those ECMs and appropriate engine harness. No unlocks and only 2 credits to tune.
    Just modify the L86 tune to work for the L83.
    However, that may all depend on the year of the 8 speed. I have no idea if 17+ 8L90 can work with the earlier T87 and E92. I ain't smart enough to know about all the TUN programing and compatibility between years.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks to everyone so far. I appreciate all the comments so far.

I'm obviously concerned about cost but that isn't my primary concern. I am willing to spend money on this project but I don't want to spend it needlessly. From what I've gathered so far I need to spend more money regardless...

I have done some tuning in the past to a Duramax but never really "learned" what I was doing. I had EFI Live . I would likely be using EFI if the V2 I had hadn't let its magic smoke out.

As I'm reading more about HPtuners I'm slightly disappointed how the licensing works. In EFI Live I could buy a license for an ECU and freely change said ECU as I saw fit. The license was tied only to the serial number not the OS/VIN.

From what I'm learning, I am hoping to find a 2015 or 2016 L83/8L90 file and license that to use on my ECU. And to do that I will need to license the current OS before I can even swap the new OS into it. This seems obvious to me that I should try to write the 2014 ECU because it only requires 2 credits versus the 4 credits required by my 2019 ECU.

Is there a list somewhere that shows what OS is used for the 8 speed transmission?

Tuner in Training
    I found a stock tune in the repository on this site:

https://www.hptuners.com/my-account/tunerepository/?

I searched the repository with filters on for 2016>Engine(5.3)>Transmission(Automatic)

I got results for three. The center one (Submitted By: sevinn) seems to be a 5.3 with T87 transmission controller...

Is there any reason I couldn't full write this tune onto my 2014 controller if I'm willing to pay for the credits?

HP Tuners can't write all 8 segments, it can only write 6 of them. So something is likely not to jive completely
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    So my options are what?

I need to find a ECM from the appropriate engine/transmission?

Could I use the VIN number from that tune I mentioned earlier and re-write my 2014 EMC with GM tools like TIS2Web?