Thread: Review my tune

Potential Tuner

Review my tune

I started tunning my a4 2.0 tfsi a while back. So far ok but was looking for some insight as this is the first audi ive ever tuned. if any one has a better graph layout that would be great also. thanks in advance . does any one see a big problem in my tune? i get overboost every onceand a drive during regular freeway driving at 70-80 mph a4 sline 2.0 stage 1.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Is the overboost just at part throttle? I had an issue where it would do that at any speed as long as rpm was ~2Krpm and load was ~40-90. The further from 2k it was the less sensitive it seemed to be, and ~1500 and 2500 seem to be out of the danger zone. Below ~40% load it couldn't make enough boost, and somewhere above ~90-100% or so it seems it no longer cares, for whatever reason.
    It's also on some sort of timer, so I can be in that zone and it won't trigger as long as I don't stay there too long. Too long is hard to judge but it seems to be ~2sec. Eg; in first or 2nd gear the car moves and rpms rise quick enough so I'm out of the danger zone before it times out. If in high gear the car doesn't move much, so just a little more gas than normal at cruise puts it in that load zone and ~two seconds later, poof.
    What it does on mine, when it faults, is turn the turbos off. The turbo solenoid goes to min duty cycle and stays there until I restart the eng. Is this what is happening to you? From what I remember, I don't get a code, and certainly no CEL. I just need to restart the eng and its good go. This is a pita with keyless start because I have to stop the car. If I use the key I can do it on the fly, but I'm spoiled now and hate using the key. Yes I tried pulling the keyless thingie and putting the key in, but the car said "Nice try foolio." >: |

It wasn't actual overboost, like at full throttle, it's some bs setting that trips if boost before the throttle is higher than it likes. In my case it seems to be ~5psi boost while the intake is still under vacuum, say 10psia. Not a big deal but I suppose it hurts mpg so apparently they made a setting for it.
    If all the above sounds familiar, and you can duplicate it, try the same conditions but downshift one gear, or give more gas, and see if it prevents it.

The reason it's happening to me is I set the minimum duty cycle for the turbo at 50% so it makes boost at part throttle where it normally would not. I see you didn't do that but fyi if you mess with it in the future.
    The reason for the bump in min DC is to decrease turbo lag. So rather than lose than bennie across the board, I retarded my Exhaust cams in the danger zone. This reduced turbine speed and of course lowers boost but doesn't hurt turbo lag much and not at all above 2500 rpm. To do this I retarded the Ex cams by 4 deg at 2Krpm from ~40 to 100% load, then 3 deg at the 1750 & 2250 rpm columns, and 2 deg at 1500 & 2500. So if you have the same basic issue then I suppose retard in that zone would fix it.
    There is one other thing, and that's the vent for the turbo solenoid. If that is blocked with fod then it can't close the wastegates as quickly, which could easily net the same results as too much min DC. Considering it only take ~ seconds to fault out, some fod could do the trick.

There is also a setting for TIP (Throttle Inlet Pressure). A chart called "Maximum TIP error before Overboost" Seems logical that this is the culprit, but maxing the values out did nothing for me. Still, wouldn't hurt to play with it. This chart is kinda hidden under Engine Diagnostics/Airflow, for whatever reason. It also has an Overboost Timer there, which again seemed like a fix considering what I mentioned, but no... The oem values or maxing them out change nothing for me under any conditions, so either the oem values were never a threat, or these charts simply don't work. You may discover things, like I did, that are not what HP says. So on top of all this trying to figure all this out, some of it is wrong, doesn't work, or will change/screw up something completely unrelated.

I'd post your oem tune so I/we can see what all you've been tinkering with. And if I was off in my assumption of the issue, a better explanation.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    Is the overboost just at part throttle? I had an issue where it would do that at any speed as long as rpm was ~2Krpm and load was ~40-90. The further from 2k it was the less sensitive it seemed to be, and ~1500 and 2500 seem to be out of the danger zone. Below ~40% load it couldn't make enough boost, and somewhere above ~90-100% or so it seems it no longer cares, for whatever reason.
    It's also on some sort of timer, so I can be in that zone and it won't trigger as long as I don't stay there too long. Too long is hard to judge but it seems to be ~2sec. Eg; in first or 2nd gear the car moves and rpms rise quick enough so I'm out of the danger zone before it times out. If in high gear the car doesn't move much, so just a little more gas than normal at cruise puts it in that load zone and ~two seconds later, poof.
    What it does on mine, when it faults, is turn the turbos off. The turbo solenoid goes to min duty cycle and stays there until I restart the eng. Is this what is happening to you? From what I remember, I don't get a code, and certainly no CEL. I just need to restart the eng and its good go. This is a pita with keyless start because I have to stop the car. If I use the key I can do it on the fly, but I'm spoiled now and hate using the key. Yes I tried pulling the keyless thingie and putting the key in, but the car said "Nice try foolio." >: |

It wasn't actual overboost, like at full throttle, it's some bs setting that trips if boost before the throttle is higher than it likes. In my case it seems to be ~5psi boost while the intake is still under vacuum, say 10psia. Not a big deal but I suppose it hurts mpg so apparently they made a setting for it.
    If all the above sounds familiar, and you can duplicate it, try the same conditions but downshift one gear, or give more gas, and see if it prevents it.

The reason it's happening to me is I set the minimum duty cycle for the turbo at 50% so it makes boost at part throttle where it normally would not. I see you didn't do that but fyi if you mess with it in the future.
    The reason for the bump in min DC is to decrease turbo lag. So rather than lose than bennie across the board, I retarded my Exhaust cams in the danger zone. This reduced turbine speed and of course lowers boost but doesn't hurt turbo lag much and not at all above 2500 rpm. To do this I retarded the Ex cams by 4 deg at 2Krpm from ~40 to 100% load, then 3 deg at the 1750 & 2250 rpm columns, and 2 deg at 1500 & 2500. So if you have the same basic issue then I suppose retard in that zone would fix it.
    There is one other thing, and that's the vent for the turbo solenoid. If that is blocked with fod then it can't close the wastegates as quickly, which could easily net the same results as too much min DC. Considering it only take ~ seconds to fault out, some fod could do the trick.

There is also a setting for TIP (Throttle Inlet Pressure). A chart called "Maximum TIP error before Overboost" Seems logical that this is the culprit, but maxing the values out did nothing for me. Still, wouldn't hurt to play with it. This chart is kinda hidden under Engine Diagnostics/Airflow, for whatever reason. It also has an Overboost Timer there, which again seemed like a fix considering what I mentioned, but no... The oem values or maxing them out change nothing for me under any conditions, so either the oem values were never a threat, or these charts simply don't work. You may discover things, like I did, that are not what HP says. So on top of all this trying to figure all this out, some of it is wrong, doesn't work, or will change/screw up something completely unrelated.

I'd post your oem tune so I/we can see what all you've been tinkering with. And if I was off in my assumption of the issue, a better explanation.
    Stock Audi a4 Sline 2015 (1).hpt this is my stock . i had changed overboost to 13 seconds but it still happens just way later. 13 secs is maxed out and wait a min! I dont have exhaust cam control parameters

Advanced Tuner
    This might be the problem. I would put this back to oem and see what happen: tbo.jpg

Potential Tuner
    I changed back to stock and got the over boost in certain conditions, however disabling po234 or what ever code it is helped 100% I no longer see over boost but now just get get scared when my Guage hits over 25 psi

Advanced Tuner
    If you can post a run with 100% stock settings and one as it is now, and the tune used on it, then I/we can better help.

When I noticed that one issue I only glanced at your tune, but will try to look deeper when I can. Logs are a great help, plus your inputs. Like at xx time stamp floored it and 2 seconds later it stuttered, overboosted or whatever was important.
    Usually I can spot that stuff but sometimes the data doesn't come through on my end if your PID's are different, or maybe the data was never there. People often forget things like Injector Pulse Width, Load %, Torque, throttle blade position, intake air temp, Lambda, spark timing, spark retard, turbo solenoid duty cycle etc that we need to see the big picture.
    Even Voltage, which I recently discovered is very important. The lower the voltage the harder it is for the boost solenoid to maintain vacuum, which costs me a lotta boost.
    For some reason, when I floor it, the voltage drops ~ 1V. I haven't figured that one out but it seems to be a normal thing based on logs of people with my same engine. What makes mine more of an issue is my battery has been iffy of late so voltage averages a bit less than normal. Voltage also varies, as it does with others, so even with a normal battery but it happens to be on the lower end of voltage the moment you floor it then it'll cost you some power. I only noticed this because my voltage is lower so it drops more, and I lose more boost as a result so it was easy to put 2 & 2 together. If my voltage was normal and boost loss less I may not have noticed it. Or if I never monitored voltage.
    The point being monitor as much as you can, within reason. I imagine Audi is like my Benz and we don't have a whole lotta things to monitor in the first place?

Attached is my current PID list for reference:
    PIDz.jpg

Potential Tuner

vcm output

Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    If you can post a run with 100% stock settings and one as it is now, and the tune used on it, then I/we can better help.

When I noticed that one issue I only glanced at your tune, but will try to look deeper when I can. Logs are a great help, plus your inputs. Like at xx time stamp floored it and 2 seconds later it stuttered, overboosted or whatever was important.
    Usually I can spot that stuff but sometimes the data doesn't come through on my end if your PID's are different, or maybe the data was never there. People often forget things like Injector Pulse Width, Load %, Torque, throttle blade position, intake air temp, Lambda, spark timing, spark retard, turbo solenoid duty cycle etc that we need to see the big picture.
    Even Voltage, which I recently discovered is very important. The lower the voltage the harder it is for the boost solenoid to maintain vacuum, which costs me a lotta boost.
    For some reason, when I floor it, the voltage drops ~ 1V. I haven't figured that one out but it seems to be a normal thing based on logs of people with my same engine. What makes mine more of an issue is my battery has been iffy of late so voltage averages a bit less than normal. Voltage also varies, as it does with others, so even with a normal battery but it happens to be on the lower end of voltage the moment you floor it then it'll cost you some power. I only noticed this because my voltage is lower so it drops more, and I lose more boost as a result so it was easy to put 2 & 2 together. If my voltage was normal and boost loss less I may not have noticed it. Or if I never monitored voltage.
    The point being monitor as much as you can, within reason. I imagine Audi is like my Benz and we don't have a whole lotta things to monitor in the first place?

Attached is my current PID list for reference:
    PIDz.jpg
    pre muffler delete.hplthis is what im driving on right now.hpt this is what im driving on rn. i deleted p0234 and got rid of overboost but on the stock tune i get epc right away.. i have straight piped my a4 thats it though