Thread: L83 Manual Swap

Potential Tuner

L83 Manual Swap

2014 GMC Sierra original L83 w/ 6L80. Just swapped in TR6060 and having trouble building ECM file for a manual configuration. I have performed successful manual swaps in Caprice PPV and Gen 5 Camaros in the past but this LT OS is a different animal and I have spent hours trying to come up with the right solution. Hoping someone can point me in direction. The factory ECM is a E92 running on OS 12663390. I reviewed files for E92 vehicles with LT engine and manual transmission vehicles like 15 Vette, 16 and 17 Camaro. None of them have a operating system that is the same so I can not perform a segment swap. My next idea was downloading a 17 LT1 M6 Camaro file, pay to credit it and then change vin to my truck vin and copy over all the L83 engine calibrations. Im sure this method will create some issues and when I tried changing vin on a 17 camaro file to my truck vin it said os was not compatible. I have a MDI2 and access to GM SPS but not aware of how I can obtain/ program anything other then what GM gives makes available once it sees the vin of vehicle being programmed.

Is there a way to use MDI2 and GM software to change my current OS?

Is there a way I can create a E92 ECM file for l83 with manual transmission using GM MDI2 or HPTuner?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Tuner in Training
    I wish there was more public info on this topic but there does not seem to be.

Note* you likely have the older fuel rail pressure sensor which is not on the 2016 and up LTs

I have a 15' L83 and have tried running a 15' C7 manual tune unsuccessfully. I didn't do the segment swap but I did go to the comparison log and copy over all differences. For whatever reason that does not work. I suspect it has something to do with the different maf cartridge p/n and the intake size difference. You would think it just needs some scaling but that doesn't seem to work.

I have managed to get it drivable on a c7 tune but had lots of drivability issues, I didn't do a good job of making notes and saving at every step so that file wasn't saved. I'm still trying, thinking of setting most of the c7 tables back to stock and just messing with the VVE table and MAF table to see if that will work.

good luck, hopefully you figure something out soon. these are a pain in the a**

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever get it straightened out?

Tuner in Training
    I was simply flashing the C7 tune on my L83 ecm after copying over the differences - this would never work right for some reason.

Now, I paid a guy to do a factory reflash of an ecm to a c7 manual vin I found online and I'm in the process of tuning the vve. I tried using my old vve and maf table but the fueling was off. I think there are some background tables that are different and throw stuff off. The vve is changing as expected though so this method is definitely better than the previous one. My last tune, the tuner cleaned up a MAF only tune so I'm guessing the vve was still off on that one and may have been playing into my throttle hang issues. in addition, I don't think my VT was touched much by the tuner. to properly tune these it seems to take a lot of effort, some more experienced folks here and not so forth coming with the info as they make a living from tuning (I get it). there is a guy named Cringer on here that has some tools to help tuning with some slides he made which help me more that the caveman methods I was trying. it seems to take a lot of work though.

with all that said, there are guys running these engines on airboats so I'm curious what tuning strategy is used there since they also don't have vss sensors hooked up and don't complain about rev hang (maybe something with the DD tables?)