Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help tuning

Tuner in Training

Need help tuning

I am currently trying to tune my jeep after swapping engines 2001 5.3 with stage 1 torque cam, tbss intake, 92 mm throttle body, full exhaust, and shorty headers. I would appreciate any help.5.3 engine.hpttest 1.hpl

What injectors? (8-digit part number printed on the side)

What fuel system? What type of pressure regulator? What's the fuel pressure?

Is the intake off an actual Trailblazer SS, or is it just a random Gen 4 truck cathedral port deal?

What part number MAP sensor?

'Full exhaust' means cats, or no?

Tuner in Training
    injectors have 6 numbers Delphi is on 1 side and 253176 on the other.
    bosch fuel pump with corvette filter/regulator
    it was off a 2006 TBSS
    map sensor 09359409
    exhaust has a cat 3" from the Y pipe back

Tuner in Training
    first drive recorded
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JeepSpeed; 03-12-2023 at 08:05 PM. Reason: no upload

Senior Tuner
    It looks like the injectors maybe are part #25317671. Looks like the were used on an Olds v6 around 2000. Most of the sites selling them now look iffy.

Most of the uses for that map was late 90’s GM also.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsear...rtnum=09359409 - correct for 2006 GMT360, and uses same linear/offset as the Gen 3 stuff, no changes needed

Injectors are unknown. 2006 GMT360 used injectors with numbers 19421333 or 12580681. If yours are not those, injector data will be forever unknown, until you replace them with something usable.

Fuel pressure is unknown. Fuel pump is unknown. The Corvette filter-reg has an issue with large pumps, it can't bypass enough volume back to the tank to keep pressure in check. If you ever get around to checking it with a gauge and find it's higher than about 60 psi at idle, pump will have to be changed to something compatible.

A single aftermarket cat in a non-stock location will have to have the PCM set up as if it's got no cats, and just hope the cat can survive whatever you send to it. Stock PCM can't be configured for a single cat with a single downstream O2 so all that will have to be turned off. And, Gen 3s don't like having the downstream sensors totally removed, they try to run the cat/post O2 test repeatedly, there is no way to turn it off. You have to leave the sensors plugged in but not installed in the exhaust. Once it runs the tests and flags them as failed, it stops trying and you stop seeing it dump fuel and pull timing trying to run the tests.

This thing is not ready to be driven yet, I'm not even going to look at the logs.

Tuner in Training
    The injectors are stock 2001 LM7. fuel pressure gauge at rail reads 56 to 58. front 02 sensors are in but the back are suppose to be deleted.

2001 LM7 used a return style, referenced fuel system. The flow rate & offset tables are flat. Those injectors were used all the way up to 2006, by which time they'd changed to a returnless non-referenced fuel system, the flow rate & offset tables are sloped. Here's your file with injector data taken from a 2005 LM7.

5.3 engine - 17113698 non-referenced 58psi.hpt

Senior Tuner
    A little more digging turned up injector #25317628 claimed to be for the LM7 injectors and claims that it is equal to 17113698 and various other GM and other cross references. The 17113698 seems to be the only one that matches an actual GM #. Did you buy these for this project?

The combo isn't really radical but I suspect it'll still be enough to use up every last bit of a 25lb injector right quick like. Even the 29lb (numbers listed above) would probably be marginal.

Tuner in Training
    This engine was pulled out of my yukon. Everything was running at the time I pulled the engine/tranny out.

Senior Tuner
    What changed from the Yukon to the Jeep?

Tuner in Training
    btr 1 stage torque cam tbbs intake 92mm throttle body.

...and fuel system type, which needs a totally different injector data format. Which is provided up above in post #8. And hasn't been looked at by anybody yet.

2001 LM7, referenced regulator, key-on fuel pressure spec in the manual is "55-62 PSI" (aka 58):
    2001 LM7 17113698.png

2005 LM7, non-referenced (returnless), key-on fuel pressure spec in the manual is "55-62 PSI" (aka 58):
    2005 LM7 17113698.png

Both use the same 17113698 injector and the same fuel pressure. Only difference is the regulator type. One is referenced to manifold (2001) and the other is referenced to atmosphere (2005). You changed the fuel system type, you need to change the injector data to match.

BUT, even with the correct injector data, these 25lb'ers will not be enough to feed a 5.3 with a cam and the best LS intake and a big throttle body and headers and non-stock exhaust.

Tuner in Training
    The fuel system was kept a return system like the stock Yukon had. It is regulated by the corvette fuel filter and has the return built in.

Tuner in Training
    Is there anyone out there that can make a tune with the information given? Or what other information is needed?

The 2001 had a regulator mounted on the fuel rail. That regulator had a little vacuum hose going to it. That vacuum hose lowered fuel pressure when vacuum was high, and raised fuel pressure when vacuum was low (like WOT). This system uses injector tables like in the file you posted. Flat from left to right. Because fuel pressure is adjusted 1:1 relative to manifold pressure. This is what's meant by 'referenced' - it's the presence of that little vacuum hose. NOT whether there is a return line for excess fuel to get back into the tank.

Your new fuel system with the Corvette filter/reg has no little vacuum hose. It has no reference to manifold pressure, it's what it is always no matter what's in the manifold. This is a 'non-referenced' system. The non-referenced regulator is nothing but a spring-loaded poppet valve that bleeds off anything above the set pressure back to the tank. It does not matter if this poppet valve is inside the tank, or outside the tank with a separate return hose for the excess fuel. It has no idea what the manifold pressure is. This second type of fuel system uses injector data like in the file I posted in post #8 <-- click here, download the file, flash it to your PCM

Did I accidentally mute myself again? Can somebody give me a radio check here?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Did I accidentally mute myself again? Can somebody give me a radio check here?
    5x5

Phew. Thanks.

edit: I mean... Copy that.