Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 4 e38 dfco tuning

Advanced Tuner

Gen 4 e38 dfco tuning

What is the strategy for tuning dfco on gen 4 trucks? What tables need to be altered? How much to start off and how can i verify my changes? Specifically with a cam swap.

Senior Tuner
    camshaft prob just raises the airmass a little for decel so it may not be getting low enough now to trigger DFCO, just look at your logs and adjust the thresholds to suit

Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    What is the strategy for tuning dfco on gen 4 trucks? What tables need to be altered? How much to start off and how can i verify my changes? Specifically with a cam swap.
    What exactly are you want to change with this? I feel like most people either enable or disable DFCO. Is the truck doing something strange with it enabled?
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Advanced Tuner
    The dfco does not come on after the cam. I would like to get it working.

Tuning Addict
    07gts hit the nail on the head. You can also play with crank ref to enter and exit along with timing for both once it's properly going in.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

The dfco does not come on after the cam. I would like to get it working.
    How big is the cam and did you install a high stall converter too? On my setup, to prevent bucking and surging on decel, I had the unlock the converter at 0% throttle which causes the engine to idle down so fast that DFCO is pointless/rarely kicks in.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Senior Tuner
    There is no harm in turning it off I've found. Can clear up return to idle issues on some cammed or heavily modified vehicles.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    There is no harm in turning it off I've found. Can clear up return to idle issues on some cammed or heavily modified vehicles.
    I've been wondering about this. My car cuts fuel fairly quick and the WB goes full lean. Normally get concerned when exiting the interstate as I have quiet a decel stretch and was questioning the effects of this. I normally push the pedal enough so that the WB reads numbers again. When you say turn DFCO off, does that mean there is no fuel cut or there is fuel cut? Forgive my ignorance.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    I've been wondering about this. My car cuts fuel fairly quick and the WB goes full lean. Normally get concerned when exiting the interstate as I have quiet a decel stretch and was questioning the effects of this. I normally push the pedal enough so that the WB reads numbers again. When you say turn DFCO off, does that mean there is no fuel cut or there is fuel cut? Forgive my ignorance.
    Are you also worried about how lean the engine goes when you key it off?

There is absolutely no way you can hurt the engine lean in decel.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Are you also worried about how lean the engine goes when you key it off?

There is absolutely no way you can hurt the engine lean in decel.
    Thanks for simplifying that. Next time ill just key off while coasting so i can use the hydroboost to steer better.

Thanks for simplifying that. Next time ill just key off while coasting so i can use the hydroboost to steer better.
    This forum needs some type of react emojis or something! Good stuff man! LOL

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Advanced Tuner
    It is a truck norris in a 13 5.3 silverado. Stock converter. I believe I can figure this out with the info provided so far. What would be a good ballpark number to add to the airflow tables to begin with?

Measure you cylinder air on cast down, and steady state driving. Let's say on coast it goes below .08g, and steady state is .10g. So you would have it activate at .07, and shut off at. 09. Just an example, you will have to mess with numbers a bit, if it gets too "jumpy". Same with TPS %.

Tuning Addict
    ^^^^ what he said. Make sure to adjust re-entry the same amounts as your adjusting the exit table with. Keep them .02 grams away from one another roughly if you have to adjust them a little separately
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    You can play with the entry and exit crank ref's if you don't necessarily want it kicking in quite as quick, but want it coming out quicker. This is sometimes necessary for track cars that still use dfco, but don't necessarily want it kicking in right away - such as when they're in and out of throttle rather quickly and then to the other side of the spectrum lower crank ref's to exit, so it comes back "alive" quicker... You would need to increase to delay entry to keep it from kicking in so quick and lower exit to get out quicker.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    I appreciate the help.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You can play with the entry and exit crank ref's if you don't necessarily want it kicking in quite as quick, but want it coming out quicker. This is sometimes necessary for track cars that still use dfco, but don't necessarily want it kicking in right away - such as when they're in and out of throttle rather quickly and then to the other side of the spectrum lower crank ref's to exit, so it comes back "alive" quicker... You would need to increase to delay entry to keep it from kicking in so quick and lower exit to get out quicker.
    Thanks Greg. I appreciate you explaining the effects of raising vs lowering these tables.

Sorry ahead of time for the newbie question but I have to ask. Are you guys saying that you can run with the dfco disabled all the time if you want to? Because I disable it every time I tune my maf with my wideband. But I think I noticed the other night when I was out scanning with it disabled I was hearing a lot of pops out of the exhaust when I let off of the gas at high speeds. Is this normal? Thanks guys.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Advanced Tuner
    I would say that is normal in a way to have pops while dfco is off. Especially in ol, assuming rich conditions. But if you are shooting 9 foot flame balls out the tailpipe something is way off.

I would say that is normal in a way to have pops while dfco is off. Especially in ol, assuming rich conditions. But if you are shooting 9 foot flame balls out the tailpipe something is way off.
    Yeah I was in open loop for maf tuning so I can see that now. But do you need dfco or can you disable it for good? The reason I ask is because I have an issue with my current tune when returning to idle when coming to a stop. My cam is a GPI SS3 vvt 228/246 646/638.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter