Thread: New engine (5.7 hp103), need a tune to get her home

Tuner in Training

New engine (5.7 hp103), need a tune to get her home

Hi! Been working on cars for years but I'm very new to real tuning, unfortunately I'm gonna have to learn as I go... but I need some help if possible in resurrecting my baby.

I was wondering if anyone had a safe tune, (something that won't blow up) for the ATK HP103 gen 3 hemi engine, just to get it home from the installer's so I can start tinkering and learning. The ECU is for the Dodge Magnum 5.7 2007 model, so I should have all the tuning features people like.

The basic situation is the engine died and needed replacing, something wrong with the original block, maybe a rod, something nasty, so I decided it was best to get a slightly built rebuilt engine rather than just a stock one, problem is this sucker needs a tune to run according to the seller's site. Ive read its the comp cams 268h, the specs of the cam in the engine are 216/220 @50 .528/.531 113LSA, and it'll have my bbk shorty headers, a cool air intake, suitcase delete and high flow cats. I just need something baseline, I don't much care about horsepower numbers right now, and once I save up enough to do it maybe I'll be able to pay someone to do a tune right, but just the engine is stretching my funds beyond their limits so I need something gentle that will get her home, and maybe let me get the wife to work while I'm working on dialing in the power..

Does anyone have something like that, or even better, have a tune designed for this specific off the shelf modified engine? Ive got about a week to figure this out before the engine ships to the mechanic, then about 2 days till it arrives, and then maybe a day for him to put her in. (I don't have the cherrypicker or hoist to lift engines or I'd be swapping it in here) My plan, hopefully, is to bring the laptop down, install a canned tune to get her home and work from there, because the mechanic does NOT tune, doesn't know how and wouldn't have time to if he did according to him. Its gonna fall to me.

If anyone does have a decent usable canned tune for the 06 magnum 5.7 please let me know. Ive got the 3rd rev of the hptuner software and cable if that's important.

Sorry for the super long post, didn't want to leave out anything important. I checked the repository with everything I hcould think If I could id post a file from my ECU but the car is at the installer's and thats allll the way across town, so just any 06/07 (maybe 08 too, I heard they have the same tuning options file would be fine. I do really want to learn how to do this right, but with time and funds extremely low I'm left to hope someone can share me a copy of their safe (conservative) tune for a similar cam and springs upgraded vehicle. I need to learn, and thus earn, the speed of a good tune.

Thanks! Isra
    Last edited by Israfil; 03-14-2023 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added info

Tuner in Training
    I didnt think to mention it, but I would be willing to kick someone like... I dunno, 100 bucks? (hopefully thats a fair amount for responding to a post with a working file to just copy theirs I cant afford a lot ) to let me use their working canned tune for one of these engines, or even just one designed for a stock 5.7 with a similar cam thatll work?

I just want to be able to daily her, get her broken in safely, etc.. while I learn to tune her myself. She doesn't need to be fast yet, doesn't have to race, not even planning on getting into the pedal unless other drivers force me to, but my baby needs me to drop her off at work while I'm earning my ponies by learning to tune.

i got you bro

dm me

Post your current tune, there are few 268 threads here.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post
    Post your current tune, there are few 268 threads here.
    Current tune is literally the stock 07 5.7 with some slight tweaks from the crappy superchips 91 canned I used to run on her., I'd post it but like I said, installer and car is across town from me and I won't be able to go there until the day the engine is in the car.

I did find this one in another thread (https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ngs-required-) ) that im hoping might work. Someone's sister's tune i guess but if it ran a 12 I figure its worth trying. My wife's Playstation subscription just hit the bank account last night so ive gotta wait until one of us has a direct deposit come through (think hers hits first like next thurs) but If someone has one that's meant for this engine (hp103) or cam (268) and runs well enough to just "grocery-get" im certainly still willing to venmo them the second im able to. GeForce, ill dm ya in just a sec to see if thatd work for ya.

Attached is the "sister's tune" if anyone wants to take a look.Cmayberry Run1.hpt

Thanks for the assist guys. Been so long with my car out of commission im excited as hell to get back in her and even more to learn to tune her.

Understand that without having YOUR tune from YOUR car, you'll have to copy and paste over to your tune from this tune I posted.

Here's one that you can copy and paste over to your tune,it's a modified version of Cmayberryrun.

It's good base to start from.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post
    Understand that without having YOUR tune from YOUR car, you'll have to copy and paste over to your tune from this tune I posted.

Here's one that you can copy and paste over to your tune,it's a modified version of Cmayberryrun.

It's good base to start from.
    Thanks man, I'll give that one a try too once the engine arrives and ive got access to the car. You guys are awesome. Im HOPING to eventually just straight up get the tune figured out with my own tweaking then release as a nice solid canned tune for this engine on the repository so noone has to go through all the worry of "will my new engine run?" Or the pain in the butt that dragging it to a dyno is, nor anything else. A production engine, Gglllmbuilt the same every time, should have at least a basic tune the company can suggest to install and drive it home with.
    We'll see if I accomplish that, but either way I appreciate the assistance here.

Also, if anyone is wanting to start a mopar dyno shop... Vegas only has ONE that I was able to find, literally one, and I had to call dynojet and go through their entire sales list to find one that tuned mopar, and they're well out of my price range.. Lol so I guess the market is pretty open.