Thread: 2014 eb f150

Advanced Tuner

2014 eb f150

how long does learned octane take to settle and learn actually? wifes truck has been sitting a few minutes and i flashed it with a small tune update and i reset kam and put 3 gallons of e85 in as it had 87 in it. driving to where its adding timing the inferred octane jumped as high as 97 but when i get knock retard it quickly lowers it but im just wondering how many miles it usually takes to settle and stop learning and adjusting for the same tank full. i have a bad cat on bank 2 so once it gets richer then .82 the cat isnt happy and i get knock retard.

Advanced Tuner
    should have asked if it settles and learns for a given tank after some miles or does is always adjust going off of how much timing is being added or taken away by the knock sensors

Advanced Tuner
    It'll only learn when the parameters are met in Spark->Retard->Knock Adaptive Learning and Enable. Typically with stock settings on the 3.5, you have to be above 1200RPM with at least a .45 load and hold that for 6 seconds before it will start to record into memory.

So it depends on your typical driving, if you're bumping around at low RPM and low load, it'll never really learn... On my Mustang, I could normal drive for 500+ miles and never have my KOM update, but a high gear pull on the highway (60MPH, 5th, not WOT, but getting into low boost at least) will get KOM up no problem.

Advanced Tuner
    ok thank you for the info