Thread: Throttle Unexpectedly Snaps Shut

Potential Tuner

Throttle Unexpectedly Snaps Shut

The engine is a 2013 LC9 from a 2013 Silverado. Twin Turbos, stock cam, 6 spd manual. The E38 ECM is from the Silverado and I'm not running a TCM.

I've been chasing an issue with the throttle will unexpectedly close while under power (usually under boost). I've been doing some MAF tuning and I caught it twice in the logs. There's another weird thing that happens after the throttle closes...most of the PIDs in the log drop out. The first time it happened, my tach stopped reading as well. It doesn't happen often but I can't seem to find the pattern.

I've attached the two log files and the tune from the second run (the only difference between the runs is the MAF table). Does anybody have any ideas?

Look at the following time stamps:

MAF Tune_A 00:05:18:014
    MAF Tune_D 00:05:22:360

Thanks in advance.

-Tom
    2023-03-19 MAF Tune_D.hptMAF Tune_A.hplMAF Tune_D.hpl

Tuning Addict
    What map sensor are you running? It looks and sounds like you have a 5v shorting out. You have codes for ect, map and O2... Wiring melted somewhere? Wrong map installed?
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    I’m using a 2 bar MAP, GM 12615136. I thought it could be a wiring thing, which is why I started logging Throttle Voltage, but I didn’t see anything unusual in the log. I checked all the wiring that was visible, and there’s nothing near the exhaust. I may have to pull some harnesses apart and dig further. Thanks!

Tuning Addict
    offset should be 8 then. Shouldn't be enough to cause the problem though. You may even have a sensor shorting causing the problem if wiring is good.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBird View Post
    The engine is a 2013 LC9 from a 2013 Silverado. Twin Turbos, stock cam, 6 spd manual. The E38 ECM is from the Silverado and I'm not running a TCM.

I've been chasing an issue with the throttle will unexpectedly close while under power (usually under boost). I've been doing some MAF tuning and I caught it twice in the logs. There's another weird thing that happens after the throttle closes...most of the PIDs in the log drop out. The first time it happened, my tach stopped reading as well. It doesn't happen often but I can't seem to find the pattern.

I've attached the two log files and the tune from the second run (the only difference between the runs is the MAF table). Does anybody have any ideas?

Look at the following time stamps:

MAF Tune_A 00:05:18:014
    MAF Tune_D 00:05:22:360

Thanks in advance.

-Tom
    2023-03-19 MAF Tune_D.hptMAF Tune_A.hplMAF Tune_D.hpl
    This almost looks like a loose ground situation to me. If you look all the data gets lost for a second on shutdown. HPTuners will draw a straight line between the last two good data points in the line display. When throttle closed MAP would have slammed down also. Also.. pretty much all data is junk after the shut down. This is like a hard restart or something.. like a loose ground

Check for bad grounds.

Check for codes after it shuts down like this.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs