Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear o2 permanent codes somehow

Tuner in Training

rear o2 permanent codes somehow

did longtubes and hi flows and deleted the rear o2s, before first start i uploaded a tune that had every bank X sensor 2 code in the list set to no error no ses. still somehow it set permanent codes for bXs2 heater and circuit causing it to incomplete the o2 sensor monitor (no cel but still wont past obd smog due to monitor). how do i get rid of these stupid codes? i dont have rear bungs to put them in and i dont want to pull the exhaust apart again just to add them. do i have to plug the sensors in and ziptie them under the car or something? do i have to reenable those codes to make the computer check for them then disable again once it clears the codes?
    Last edited by daktah; 03-19-2023 at 08:28 PM.
    2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT (E38)

I'd try plugging the sensors in, disable the codes and see if the permanent codes go away.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuning Addict
    I'd be willing to bet the O2 test are still enabled for the rear O2's, not to mention cat test which need the rear O2's to run. I wouldn't drive it with the rear O2's hanging and plugged in - will cause it's own defaults and failures resulting in getting stuck in open loop.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I'd try plugging the sensors in, disable the codes and see if the permanent codes go away.
    yeah I'm going to give that a shot this weekend, hopefully it's that simple

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    I'd be willing to bet the O2 test are still enabled for the rear O2's, not to mention cat test which need the rear O2's to run. I wouldn't drive it with the rear O2's hanging and plugged in - will cause it's own defaults and failures resulting in getting stuck in open loop.
    I'll have to double check but I don't think I've seen an O2 test config, let alone for the front and rear. I'll have to double-check though I could be wrong and just glanced past it. and I don't think it would be an issue if I max/min the set points for what the computer would think is too rich and too lean on on them? plus don't the rears only monitor cat health/efficiency and have no bearing on fueling except maybe for overtemp?

Senior Tuner
    I don't think there is any problem with having permanent codes in the back ground. If things are fixed they usually go away in time. But they don't turn on the light. won't keep you from passing inspection. Again as long as everything is fixed.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    it will fail smog though, because the o2 monitor is not set. its obd only, no visual no sniffer, but having anything but the evap monitor not ready and/or a check engine light = fail. otherwise i wouldnt care.

Senior Tuner
    fairly certain it will not have readiness issues with permanent codes.

The evap monitor might not go ready if you do not have rear o2 sensors plugged in or some other issue.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    again, the o2 monitor is not and will not set with permanent codes. it will not pass obd smog without all applicable monitors being set other than evap.
    the o2s usually set within literally 60 seconds of startup if everything checks out (ive watched it in real time many times after a fresh code clear when trying to get other cars ready for smog), they dont require drive cycles. the computer just checks the circuits for continuity/resistance, checks that they heat up correctly and makes sure the readings between the fronts and rears makes sense, then passes the monitor. if it doesnt set right away, let alone after several drive cycles totaling a couple hours, it will not set at all.

Tuning Addict
    Post the tune. Guarantee test are still on...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    learn me something
    Attached Files Attached Files

Greg is right, the Catalyst Test is still active. New versions of the software removed the ability to edit that. Someone may be willing to edit it for you.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    very cool to have options you paid for removed especially when youre still mostly following the rules anyway while celebrities will burn 2000 gallons of jet fuel to fly from la to hollywood to preach to you how bad your car is for the environment
    aaaaanyway, will turning off the catalyst test (which i assume is for p0420/0430/etc) turn off a p0036, p0054 and p0056 (o2 circuits/heaters)? because those are the perm codes that i am dealing with here. can i just modify the hpt in a hex editor or something or do i NEED an older version to change it?

Tuner in Training
    Another option is to use a clamp on exhaust bung, and use the down stream sensors.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by daktah View Post
    very cool to have options you paid for removed especially when youre still mostly following the rules anyway while celebrities will burn 2000 gallons of jet fuel to fly from la to hollywood to preach to you how bad your car is for the environment
    aaaaanyway, will turning off the catalyst test (which i assume is for p0420/0430/etc) turn off a p0036, p0054 and p0056 (o2 circuits/heaters)? because those are the perm codes that i am dealing with here. can i just modify the hpt in a hex editor or something or do i NEED an older version to change it?

welcome to politics...

"found" this tune that should fix your issues with those missing tables of jet fuel and such...

Tuning Addict
    Just open and do a write entire with this one.

EDIT - RDF1 beat me to it

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    thanks guys ill let you know how it goes

Tuner in Training
    mmm nope same as before
    Untitled.png

Tuning Addict
    Well legal way to do it would be to put the post O2's back into the exhaust. There's another way, but not posting that...

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    since no one has any idea what to do or want to share their super duper top secret totally illegal techniques, I just did what I was originally going to do and plugged in the o2s and zip tied them to the underbody and went for a drive. I also re-enabled the three codes in the DTC menu just in case that was necessary. good thing I had my widebands because the computer decided it really wanted to run at 1.1 to 1.2 lambda I'm guessing due to the input of the rear o2s so as a quick and dirty fix to avoid melting my engine I just set it so PE comes on immediately above idle and that was enough to keep it around stoich and safe enough for a light cruise. 20 minutes later I pulled back into the garage and check the codes, and voila no more permanent codes and both O2 monitors had also passed. so I'm going to remove the sensors, flashback the old tune with codes disabled and run it again this weekend and see what happens.