Thread: Another FNG looking for some guidance

Potential Tuner

Another FNG looking for some guidance

Greetings!

Another FNG here trying to figure this stuff out. You all have been a wealth of knowledge so far and its been fun trying to learn something new on this project. I have swap in a pickup that is coming along slowly. I bought this truck when I graduated high school and found it sitting. Excited to get it all restored back on the road after many years.

2000 5.3 LM7 and 4l60E swap in OBS K1500. Nothing real hot, Long Tube Headers, Truck Norris Cam, Valve Springs, Cold Air Intake, electric fans, no AC and some deleted items. Not going to be a hot rod just a toy. I do understand I?ll probably need injectors, I need to wait a bit if I can as this thing is a pit lol and I just need it moving.

As for the tune so far. I am just getting to the point where I can kind of drive it around the neighborhood. Truck isn?t really road worthy yet (unrelated). I?m in SD, MAF disabled. The truck starts very easy, runs great, warms up great. I?ve done RAF correction and reset IAC steps. I?m just starting to work on VE tables a little more. Pretty much the same High Octane and Low Octane Tables that it had when I got it. I would like to turn the MAF back on later.

Having trouble with a few things? Knock Retard. I?m getting it pretty bad at very low throttle, when I?m shifting the linkage even. Like I said earlier, stock high and low oct tables. It had a full tank of 91 oct fresh fuel. I changed the motor mounts, new AC Delco Knock Sensors and Harness. I?ve went over everything I can think of with a soft mallet and secured or adjust anything I can think of that could be touching. My headers are noise AF though. My gut thinks its false but, I?m not sure so I am asking.

I also have a hanging idle and in this short little log its got a pretty good cruise control thing going on.
    Hopefully I am on the right track and have done enough right to this point I can get some help from you all.

Thanks in advance!

Advanced Tuner
    I have attached 2 tune files that should help you out. One with the high octane copied to the low octane spark table, one with a sd enhanced os. Both with various changes to get you started. Also you can use the layout file which has histograms you will need to log afr err. You will need to write entire if you decide to use the enhanced os. You are running in low octane spark and secondary VE currently and the sd os fixes both issues.

Advanced Tuner
    Also your base idle air looks way too high. I would lower it 15-20%.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks I will definitely check it out..

I've done the RAF correction for Idle airflow a few times and its like dead on in park/neutral now. No changes from the last at least in the 34-212 deg range. I haven't done in gear just added 1. You thinking the whole table is off or just the colder areas?

Advanced Tuner
    What do your iac counts look like in the scanner? You may need to work on relaxing the throttle cracker table and also the PID idle airflow functions.

Potential Tuner
    Looks like about TPS 0.71V and about 65-70 Steps Warm. There has been a few less or more depending on the log.

Potential Tuner
    Downloaded the SD Enhanced OS that 04Silverado6.0 was kind enough to help me with. Made a short log.

So truck didn't start or idle as well initially. The over under speed made it a little rougher but the timing looks steadier in the log. Still some Knock Retard and hanging throttle, throttle is very touchy (ready to go as soon as you crack it). but feels a little better than it did before the last changes.

I assume I should pull timing out of KR areas a little at a time and see if the KR goes away. again this is at very low rpm, low load partial throttle. With this SD Enhanced OS do I pull equally out of High and Low Oct tables now? meaning if I have a cell in question pull say 2 degrees from that cell in each table?

Same question with the cruise control hanging throttle, should I chase that by pulling timing or air?

This VE doesn't match the log I already started manipulating it. Haven't touched anything else. Plan to adjust the base running airflow P/N when its cold next and again for in gear.

Thanks again for the help!

Advanced Tuner
    I didnt have a lot of time to look this over other night. I have made some changes in the idle tab that should stabilize idle and get rid of the cruise control. You can keep working on the PID airflow tables as i did not make a big change. Generally i add to the low tables and take out of the high, multiply by 20% at a time to get the airflow stable. Also you can disable the throttle cracker completely if needed by raising the mph and 0 out the table. Keep working on VE. As far as the knock you may have a noisy exhaust or lifter setting it off. You must get the VE dialed in before touching up idle. Also do not flash this file it is the older file, just copy over the changes to the current.
    Last edited by 04silverado6.0; 03-23-2023 at 02:06 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Made the changes, I'll try and run a log if I make it home at a decent hour tonight. I'll probably spend a few evenings dialing in my VE a little better. Hopefully I'll have the truck a little more road worthy in the next week or so and get a few better logs.

My long tubes are very loud and not sure maybe those valve springs I installed with that cam are a little louder. I'll try and take a stethoscope to it. Cant really hear anything with my ears that sounds off. I'm hesitant to blindly desensitize them not really knowing what I am doing.

Feel like its getting closer, appreciate the help!