Thread: Scaling early E38 ecm for 1600cc injectors... HELP!!

Tuner in Training

Scaling early E38 ecm for 1600cc injectors... HELP!!

Hey guys, I've recently wrapped up my new build on my 2009 Pontiac G8 and need some help.

First off, I've posted my current tune. Sorry if it's a mess- I've lost a ton of sleep over the last few weeks trying to figure all this out and frustration has caused me to make so many changes that I might have forgotten to reset a few.

I'm trying to get this thing to start and idle so that I can get some heat cycles done before doing a re-torque on my headstuds and change the oil for the first time. I have 1600cc injectors and I am running E85. The problem I'm having is that the car is idling extremely rich and nothing I do seems to make it any better. Unfortunately, I have one of the early E38 ecm's with the 63.5lb/hr flow rate cap so I was forced to try my hand at scaling the tune instead of just doing the double stoich/half flow rate/half ivt terms method. I'm completely out of my element and would appreciate it if someone could post a tune that I can compare to mine and make sure that I've scaled everything correctly! I'm not trying to copy anything- I just need a good base to start from.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    if u scale the airflow way u have to scale ALL AIRFLOW TABLES every single one u can fine anything that uses g/s then u have to adjust the virtual torque to account for the lower airflow reading from the scaling, if u can get fuel pressure down to like 40psi u could fit in the double stoich halve IFR or close enough to run anyway

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    if u scale the airflow way u have to scale ALL AIRFLOW TABLES every single one u can fine anything that uses g/s then u have to adjust the virtual torque to account for the lower airflow reading from the scaling, if u can get fuel pressure down to like 40psi u could fit in the double stoich halve IFR or close enough to run anyway
    Thank you sir for the reply. I prefer to use the airflow scaling method and leave my fuel pressure at 43 psi.

So far I've:
    - input my injector data from the AUS injection website

- Entered 60lb/hr across the IFR table(return style fuel system)
    - Doubled the stoich table
    - Halved IVT terms
    - Multiplied the entire VE table by .75
    - Multiplied the high octane spark table row axis by .75(after i did this i noticed that it automatically changed the row axis values for the rest of the ignition tables)

My theory is that by setting the IFR table to 60 lb/hr and doubling the stoich table gets me to 120 lbs, while scaling the rest of the tune by 75% gets me from 120 lbs to 160 lbs. Is my thinking correct on this? Or am I way off?

When you mentioned adjusting my virtual torque table, are you suggesting that I need to multiply the entire table or the axis by .75 to match the tune?

Thanks once again for all your help!AUS 1600cc injector scaling.hpt
    Last edited by GATEKEEPER; 08-27-2020 at 12:47 AM.

So scale it by 1/3. Or 2/3, however that works out. Divide actual IFR by 3, divide IVT by 3, multiply Stoich by 3, if that's what it takes to make your flow rate fit in under the limit. It's dumb to mess with the airflow method unless you need to to get around an airflow limit. You can multiply/divide by any number you need to to make it fit.

Do you have real proper data for these injectors?

Senior Tuner
    u cant multiply the timing row axis as what ever value is in there is what it uses anyway, u have to shift the timing lower by the .75 so the 1.0g row values go into the .75g row and so forth, keep actual row labels as they were, scaling the ve table lower means all airflow is going to be lower artificially, as mentioned above if ur just on e85 all the time u can divide it up to suit fuel way would be way easier, i had the 210lb scaled stoich by 3 just fits and was working fine so if ur on 1600cc would work out easier, the airflow way is a PITA

Quote Originally Posted by GATEKEEPER View Post
    Thank you sir for the reply. I prefer to use the airflow scaling method and leave my fuel pressure at 43 psi.

So far I've:
    - input my injector data from the AUS injection website

- Entered 60lb/hr across the IFR table(return style fuel system)
    - Doubled the stoich table
    - Halved IVT terms
    - Multiplied the entire VE table by .75
    - Multiplied the high octane spark table row axis by .75(after i did this i noticed that it automatically changed the row axis values for the rest of the ignition tables)

My theory is that by setting the IFR table to 60 lb/hr and doubling the stoich table gets me to 120 lbs, while scaling the rest of the tune by 75% gets me from 120 lbs to 160 lbs. Is my thinking correct on this? Or am I way off?

When you mentioned adjusting my virtual torque table, are you suggesting that I need to multiply the entire table or the axis by .75 to match the tune?

Thanks once again for all your help!AUS 1600cc injector scaling.hpt
    Why not just multiply stoich by 2.66 and IVT by .375 and you're done

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Why not just multiply stoich by 2.66 and IVT by .375 and you're done
    If Stoich for the fuel you're using is 12.03 or less, that will work. Higher than that it will exceed the max of 32 in the Stoich table. My post up above from way back is wrong, it can't be scaled by 3. Or by more than 2.17 if Stoich is the standard 14.68.