Thread: Need some minor tweaks to fix high rpm shifting - NAG1 / A580

Potential Tuner

Question Need some minor tweaks to fix high rpm shifting - NAG1 / A580

Specs - 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona 5.7 Hemi and NAG1 (A580) donor parts. Stock engine with headers, 3" exhaust, running on E85.
    Installed into 1968 Charger using a Russell Drake (sound german automotive) PCS controller for pulse when moving sending signal to TCM.
    3.73 rear gears.

My car runs great but the shifting has never been perfect.
    At normal driving, it shifts fine.
    At wide open throttle, it seems to hesitate slightly between shifts.
    If the car is spinning, it seems to shift properly at high rpm.
    When in manual mode, it shifts quickly at high rpm.

Here's a few pics of my settings and I have attached my latest modded tune file.
    Also here's a video of what I'm talking about.

https://youtube.com/shorts/hqBzf5ue4rQ

I appreciate any advice on how to fix this.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

Advanced Tuner
    first thing i would do is create a log file
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Potential Tuner
    Here's one from today.
    It appears from my limited knowledge that it is closing the throttle body at 5,600 rpm when it is not shifting on the 1-2 and then it's closing the t/b again this time at 5,800 rpm on the 2-3 shift.

I've tried 3 different tunes on this and none really work any better than the other.
    Which is why I was asking if the ramp torque settings may be suspect or part of the issue.

Mine is a hybrid setup.
    Stock TCM going into a Russel Drake PCS controller.

Any help/advice is appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Ryan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Taking a look at the tune and the data file - Your DFCO (ECM -> Fuel -> Cutoff, DFCO) RPM is set to 5800rpm which you touch on the upshift in your data file. Consider moving:
    1. the 1-2 upshift point down about 100rpm (engine speed, you'll have to back-calculate the trans output speed, or just multiply the WOT 1-2 rpm by 0.97)
    2. the DFCO rpm up 100rpm
    3. A mix of the 1-2 upshift speed down and the DFCO rpm up

I also had lots of issues when my DFCO rpm and the 1-2 upshift rpm were too close with a hangup on the 1-2. A conservative distance between them has done me well.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparFan426 View Post
    Taking a look at the tune and the data file - Your DFCO (ECM -> Fuel -> Cutoff, DFCO) RPM is set to 5800rpm which you touch on the upshift in your data file. Consider moving:
    1. the 1-2 upshift point down about 100rpm (engine speed, you'll have to back-calculate the trans output speed, or just multiply the WOT 1-2 rpm by 0.97)
    2. the DFCO rpm up 100rpm
    3. A mix of the 1-2 upshift speed down and the DFCO rpm up

I also had lots of issues when my DFCO rpm and the 1-2 upshift rpm were too close with a hangup on the 1-2. A conservative distance between them has done me well.
    Thank you. I'll give that a try.
    Last night I was tweaking it some more and actually got it better at one point.
    Here's the file I had made for it. I basically changed it to "Comfort" mode and changed a few rpm settings.
    I'll take that file and make the changes you suggested and go out for some more testing today.

Potential Tuner
    Great news.
    @moparfan426 - Your suggestions made a big difference. I did an initial test drive and was hitting limp mode. So I moved the TCM limp offset up by 1500rpm and fixed that issue.
    Attached is my final tune + tcm changes.
    Car runs great, shifts better than it ever has.

I appreciate the advice!
    Ryan

Quick vid I threw together. From a dig and from a roll.

https://youtube.com/shorts/kae6ZFVF9a4
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Great to hear, the car looks and sounds like its nailing the 1-2 shift!