Thread: Quick tune change

Tuner in Training

Quick tune change

Ok this might be a dumb question. Is there anything I can buy or do to store tunes on and quickly change on the fly? Like when you buy a tune from say 5 star, you have multiple tunes and it's just press a button and it changes. Or do I have to hook up my laptop and hp tuners and flash my tunes each time?

I think only the diesel computers from GM and maybe ford offer a little switch. It's on the website I believe.

Nothing like that is there for any gas cars as far as I know. But there is really almost no need for different tunes because you can pretty much do everything in one calibration file these days. With flex fuel sensors and all the extra tables in the newer computers it's pretty seamless.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 03-24-2023 at 11:12 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok that makes sense I belive its been only diesels I have seen that on now that you say it. I was mostly curious because I drive the Alaskan highway often where there is no data or wifi available and I was looking into water meth but want to be able to change the tune with out data in case there was a problem with the system. I figure a tune change would be the safest easiest rout from going lean in case of a water meth malfunction or problem.

Senior Tuner
    All you will need is a laptop with tunes and HPT. I’m not saying its the way to handle this but it can be done.

Tuner in Training
    Don't I need internet each time to flash a tune

Senior Tuner
    I guess that might depend on what you are tuning. Maybe. And maybe the new 3 is different from my 2. I’ve never been connected to the internet while loading a tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rockofthenorth View Post
    Don't I need internet each time to flash a tune
    No, just the laptop with tunes saved on it and your HPT and cable.

Tuning Addict
    Depends on the year model. Newer year model GM's and Fords for instance require you to be connected to internet before you can even open them on your computer. Once open you can do what you want unless you want to open another "like" tune to compare to - which also requires internet hookup.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC