Thread: Single Turbo Upgrade Questions

Potential Tuner

Single Turbo Upgrade Questions

I have a 2008 F250 6.4 with less than 4k miles on a new motor (everything - Complete bottom end, new heads, and injectors). Everything is deleted, 4 inch down pipe to 5 inch striaght pipe and a H&S mini maxx tuner. With this set up on the highest tune setting (300hp+) it has an enormous amount of power. On occasion when I do unleash the beast it peaks at 40psi which is from what I understand the highest the twins can spool before destorying themselves. The twin turbos have 200k+ on them, there's a little play in the shaft and now my actuator went out. Luckly for me they are on back order at Ford with no time table so used is about the best I can do and it's still $400-$500. So I was thinking of doing a single turbo swap but I don't want to do it unless its really really worth it. I found a SXE 364.5 single turbo kit for $1500. So if I'd pay $1000 more than the actuator itself and still have my twins to sell/rebuild. The big thing is the power going to be the same/more/less? The other important issues is getting tunes for this set up. Where/how much? Will the tunes work on my mini?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

I'd stay with compounds over a single all day long. The 6.4 is a beast in stock form and would become laggy and possibly make less with a single. KC turbos has turbo options,

Potential Tuner
    Well I pulled the turbo's off yesterday andturns out the actuator not working was a result of the turbine being completely destroyed and siezed (however both turbos are completely intact and not affected). After finding a this out I went last night and picked up a SXE 364.5 single turbo kit. I finished installing it around lunch time. Holy cow it blows my stock twins out of the water and thats saying something because "need to be careful" already when on performance mode. Now it's absoutley insane. With the twins 40psi was were it stopped building (anything higher and they would not due very good for very long). This single just keeps building and building. And the exhaust sound is completely different. It's throaty and rumbles. Driving down the road you would think death was chasing you. It has a kind of cummins sound if cummins had an older bigger and badder brother but don't worry lil bro hes gonna have a way more violent and premature death.

So not rose today tho. It rained all day so I wasn't able to go much past 60-70% throttle and with boost building I had to let off at the 3rd gear shift because it was breaking the rear tires and kicking the rear end out. Also I don't have a single turbo tune so i'm running the preloades from my mini maxx. I believe this causing the boost to be cut if I try to accerate agressivly while doing normal cruising. If I request moderate throttle it will downshift and then I have to slowly increase throttle for a few seconds before being able hammer down.

Does anyone have a or know where to get a couple tunes for a single turbo setup? Also does anyone know how that works with my mini maxx? Can I load them into it? From what I understand I need to do 2 things to these tunes and I would be good. Remove the reporting of the actuator to the ECM and change the interaction between the Cruise Control and the actuator so it will work. Does anyone know how I can do that?

I will upload some pic's shorty.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothyclark03 View Post
    Well I pulled the turbo's off yesterday andturns out the actuator not working was a result of the turbine being completely destroyed and siezed (however both turbos are completely intact and not affected). After finding a this out I went last night and picked up a SXE 364.5 single turbo kit. I finished installing it around lunch time. Holy cow it blows my stock twins out of the water and thats saying something because "need to be careful" already when on performance mode. Now it's absoutley insane. With the twins 40psi was were it stopped building (anything higher and they would not due very good for very long). This single just keeps building and building. And the exhaust sound is completely different. It's throaty and rumbles. Driving down the road you would think death was chasing you. It has a kind of cummins sound if cummins had an older bigger and badder brother but don't worry lil bro hes gonna have a way more violent and premature death.

So not rose today tho. It rained all day so I wasn't able to go much past 60-70% throttle and with boost building I had to let off at the 3rd gear shift because it was breaking the rear tires and kicking the rear end out. Also I don't have a single turbo tune so i'm running the preloades from my mini maxx. I believe this causing the boost to be cut if I try to accerate agressivly while doing normal cruising. If I request moderate throttle it will downshift and then I have to slowly increase throttle for a few seconds before being able hammer down.

Does anyone have a or know where to get a couple tunes for a single turbo setup? Also does anyone know how that works with my mini maxx? Can I load them into it? From what I understand I need to do 2 things to these tunes and I would be good. Remove the reporting of the actuator to the ECM and change the interaction between the Cruise Control and the actuator so it will work. Does anyone know how I can do that?

I will upload some pic's shorty.

Thank you.
    You've probably been driving with a bad compound turbo setup for a long time, If you were to put a set of properly working compounds back on after driving with your single for a while you'd see the off idle spool time would be decrease. What size is your SXE 364.5? 68/73? because a 68/73 can flow up to 80lbs a min which is good for a solid 670-700ish HP, how ever it'll want a good working intercooler when making more HP.

Potential Tuner
    So I started getting a cylinder 8 misfire code after this post and it actually popped up a couple times during the inital test run but it would clear and run for a little before reappearing. So once this happened I rememebered that when I initally installed the engine I had the same code and removed the valve cover and found the injector connector was unplugged (well no clipped, Baerly making contact). So I plugged it in but then had trans problems for the next year and never drove it. So I pulled the valve cover tonight and sure enough the freaking clip was off again and after closer inspection noticed it was actually broken. Not sure if it was when I orginally found the issue. It's possible I was so excited to find it unplugged that I snap it on and never checked. So this time I swapped it out with the harness off of the old engine and took her for a drive.

And holy crap what a diffenernce all 8 cylinders all the time makes. It was again raining but I was unable to to actually give er becasue the tires just spun. I'm talking 60mph give er and back end starts sliding. I was able to on stock (which is +50hp) ease into and hit the max of 32psi. Then on Peformance mode easying into it 60mph hit 42psi but just for a second becuase we were hitting close to 100mph. The biggest thing to take away from this is how great it runs on the Mini Max tunes. I get 1 engine code when I turn the key to on. Once it's started and I clear it i don't get another code until the same one pops up when I turn it off and go to restart. That code is for the actuator plugged that is no longer being used. I am hnoestly blow away at the performance and lack of hesitation. With no actuator and the single just responds and maintains. It's truley unbelievable how responsive it is.

It runs amazing and sounds even better. Oce it stops raining I will get some videos and post them. I can't speak highly enough about this set up.

Potential Tuner
    Yes it is a 68/73. I actually had to get a new intercooler boot kit to replace all of them becasue I kept blowing off the bottom one. Intercooler will be soon I just have to stop spending money on this $15k dollar truck that I now have 25k lol. Next is a new seal and bearing kit for the front axle because luckily for me the right side is vibrating at any speed above 60mph.