Thread: Car starts and runs, shuts off.

Tuner

Car starts and runs, shuts off.

I will go ahead and list the details first. 05 5.3, ss2 cam/springs new lifters, filed rings .030, Ported 706 heads with Speedmaster intake, Single Gt 45, Deka 80's, inline external fuel pump and cell, running straight e85. I had some issues getting the car to start when i got done installing the engine, Flushed the fuel system, pump was stuck after sitting 3-4 months. Found a spreadsheet with the injector data and copied all that, running 07 p59 without a flex fuel sensor, used the VE table from an LS1 tune i did for a friend and that seemed to make it run fine. Car runs for a minute or less then just turns off, i was having an issue getting scanner to connect but its always a pain anyways. All of my sensors are showing a normal reading, i have good throttle response, the car will drive but just shuts off. I remember when i had this problem before i would start logging in VCM scanner and as soon as I start the car looking at the lt/st fuel trims it would highlight a cell it was in and start counting up from 1 to 999 and just shut off. I'm not sure if I ever pinpointed why but that is what it was doing and wont stay running long enough to get a good log as is. I am looking at this older log now it says the vehicle is a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3l V8. I can run a different PCM , I Have a bunch. Any ideas would be appreciated. Top file is the 03 PCM the lower one is the 07.

03 3 bar in volvo.bin

Volvo 5.3 Deka 80LB with Data.hpt
    Last edited by Folken; 03-28-2023 at 04:34 PM. Reason: add tune files

Tuner
    Changed over my injector data to an 03 PCM stuck in the car starts ok but idles smooth. Maybe i am missing something on this 07 PCM , its the one that comes with the fancy EV14 stock flex fuel injectors. Still needs work, the map charachteristics are as default on 3 bar O/S modification. Gets lean and falls off when i give it pedal. Map scaling is way off.

Does the throttle body, pedal and APP all match?

They used different parts for different years.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Propably not, i usually keep the pedal and tac module together and write the letter on the pedal. I have swapped throttle bodies around, now the issue is that when i give it a little throttle it will not rev and wants to die.
    Last edited by Folken; 03-28-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Tuner
    I went back through all of the tune files that I had on the car before for comparission porposes. Made a few minor changes but found that the car would run the best on the VE table on the previous tune that i was using the decapped flex injectors. Started and ran but a little rough. Let it heat up and tried to give it a little throttle. The car gradually started to smooth out, regardless of correction factors. Logging the idle it was dipping down below 35 KPA and reading lean on the wideband. Gently giving it throttle it would tend to almost stall but would rev free when given throttle up to 3,000 RPM. Only wanted to stall on Decel. Tried the 2 step a few times then the 02 readings cleared up. Seems ok now but tries to die when i let off, is that something to do with the short pulse adder/VE. I can keep it stable if i pedal a bit, no Mass Airflow meter. I am pretty sure the 02 sensors and wideband were fouled from the E and sitting.