Thread: dbw sure and stall

dbw sure and stall

Fighting a surge issue and stalling when the truck is put into gear or if light throttle is given then taken away like driving in a parking lot. Engine is an 04 5.3 with a small cam using the stock dbw throttle and a th350 transmission. I dont tune very many of the dbw with non electronic transmissions and Im struggling to figure out what I have got going on. Fueling has been dialed in with a wideband so I feel like it is correct. Ive tried adding base running airflow to get it to stop but thats no help. Ive also gave it some throttle follower in the low tps areas and that seems to help but then I get a rolling idle. Anyone have any recommendations on what could help. Also things I need to log?

nathan p59 ecm mod jason buff follower jup.hpt

Tuner
    You need the correct converter to match your cam. What cam do you have and what is the stall speed on the converter?

It is still set up as an electronic 4L60e transmission. You will fight it forever with the settings like this. A mild cam doesn't need a high stall converter.
    Need to zero out TM. Set System Options brake torque mngt to "0". Set trans type in the trans general tab to "non electric". You can wire in a park/neutral switch so the engine knows it is in park or neutral. Also log spark timing at an idle. See if it is wavy or pretty flat. Might need to knock some of the overspeed/underspeed timing correction out.

I had read a post where James Short from Shortuning said that he leaves the 4l60e option in the drop down and shuts off all of the transmission codes and tm instead of changing the drop down. Stall is like a b&m 2400 so I don?t believe the converter is affecting the engine like a stock one would. I should have tm set to 0 and abuse mode off. Ill try the btm and see if that helps

The drop down tab for Non Electric hasn't given me a warm and fuzzy but the TM and Abuse Mode will. Also I do like the P/N switch so It knows when it is out of gear as it is a seperate idle setting(s).

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 94heritage View Post
    Fighting a surge issue and stalling when the truck is put into gear or if light throttle is given then taken away like driving in a parking lot. Engine is an 04 5.3 with a small cam using the stock dbw throttle and a th350 transmission. I dont tune very many of the dbw with non electronic transmissions and Im struggling to figure out what I have got going on. Fueling has been dialed in with a wideband so I feel like it is correct. Ive tried adding base running airflow to get it to stop but thats no help. Ive also gave it some throttle follower in the low tps areas and that seems to help but then I get a rolling idle. Anyone have any recommendations on what could help. Also things I need to log?

nathan p59 ecm mod jason buff follower jup.hpt

Use timing as a way to catch idle. Airflow is slow. Also I know you said you said the fueling is correct.. Slightly too rich in this area will cause issues like this.

As far as the trans. I'd definitely delete the torque management and zero out shifts. I don't think it matters a lot to change it to non electronic auto but couldn't hurt. I do it as normal practice.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    To install the P/N switch, which PCM pin does it go to? C1 34? Does the pin supply the voltage or the ground? Is switch closed in P/N or in gear?