Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LC9 Swap Into a 34 Ford starts then dies after 2 seconds Diabled vats, etc

Tuner in Training

LC9 Swap Into a 34 Ford starts then dies after 2 seconds Diabled vats, etc

I am a novice. I have read all over the forums and found a lot of useful information but still can't get this engine to run more than 2 seconds.I did not read the tcm. Is there anything in the tcm besides maybe the park/neutral switch that would cause this issue. As the title says I am trying to help a buddy of mine get this combo running. He installed a psi harness. It has the stock 4l60e. It is a lc9 out of a 08 suburban that he got from the junkyard. The yard told him they ran it and is has a cam. Long story short I have hptuners so he called me. There was no injector pulse and it would not run at all except with starting fluid.
    I disabled in the os tab vats patch 1 and 2, starter fault checks, system starter diag under starter relay and wrote entire. Now it runs for 2 seconds and dies.
    Can't get any data log on it either. It seems when I hit record and try to start everything blanks out. If I hit record and try not to start it I can see current temp and watch the throttle input change when I press the accelerator.
    I noticed in the tune it was running in maf only so I re-enabled dynamic airflow to factory settings.There is a notepad list and a log below of dtcs and other stuff I have disabled since getting it to start and run for a couple of seconds.
    Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    My first thought is a voltage issue. I’ve never heard anyone on here that had the data log blank out on start up. Makes me wonder if there is a short to voltage on the data wires.

Tuner in Training
    My gen 3 shows data even when I hit record then start the truck. You might be on to something. I can hit record and physically see its logging data but when I start it just freezes. I'm starting to wonder is he has all the grounds hooked up. I've been reading gen 4's need power and grounds in a few more different places for the pcm, tcm, and sensors.

Senior Tuner
    Most of these swap and it won’t start end up being wiring issues. You need the diagrams for your donor and track down all of the connections. The swap harnesses also seem to have a lot of problems.

Tuner in Training
    I'm pretty much convinced at this point its gonna be a wiring issues. Thanks for the responses. I'm going to load one more tune into the pcm and if that doesn't work he's gonna have to pull wiring diagrams and go nuts tracing lol.

Senior Tuner
    Also confirm that throttle body, accel pedal came from the same donor as ECM.

Tuner in Training
    He said the yard gave him everything matching to the truck. How do I tell if the pedal and everything related matches. I'm not getting any throttle related codes and can see the percent change up and down in the scanner.

Senior Tuner
    Look up the vehicle listed in the tune file for part numbers for pedal and throttle body.

But first you need to determine why the scanner isn't reading when starting. Who knows if you will get codes once that is corrected.

Tuner in Training
    Ok. will do. Thank you.

Tuner in Training
    Update. We ran the engine on starting fluid and it run all day long. I was even able to log data. Everything seems in line while it was running.

Senior Tuner
    Exactly what did you mean by "try to start everything blanks out"?

Is there power at the DLC with IGN switch in the CRANK position, not just RUN? That happens a lot in swaps if you aren't careful about the layout of the original ign switch and power things from the wrong terminal.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Is there power at the DLC with IGN switch in the CRANK position, not just RUN? That happens a lot in swaps if you aren't careful about the layout of the original ign switch and power things from the wrong terminal.
    I will tell him to check that out. Thank you.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry it doesn't blank out. All the parameters are there. The data just freezes. If we keep the engine running on starting fluid the scanner records the parameters and doesn't freeze. I think being that the engine is shutting off so fast it just doesn't give it time to record.

Senior Tuner
    Time for the basic checks then. Fuel pressure, static and while trying to start?

Tuner in Training
    All the basics are there fuel, spark, air. We have 62 psi static, drops to 60 while cranking and when it runs for the short period it stays around 60. I am going back over there in a couple of days. Something is killing the injectors being we can run it on starting fluid all day long. I've sent him a link to this thread so he is seeing everything posted.
    Last edited by Craig0320; 03-28-2023 at 07:44 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig0320 View Post
    Update. We ran the engine on starting fluid and it run all day long. I was even able to log data. Everything seems in line while it was running.
    What is the scanner showing for injector pulse when running all day long on starter fluid? Do you have a noid light you can hook up while running on SF?

Senior Tuner
    My next step would be to go through pretty much all the sensors and parts affecting air flow and fuel (maf, map, injectors etc) and confirm part numbers are matching stock. And still check all of the wiring out.

Is there any sign that the injectors are firing? Are the plugs wet?

2xLS1 is heading to the same place as my second thought.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    What is the scanner showing for injector pulse when running all day long on starter fluid? Do you have a noid light you can hook up while running on SF?
    Next time I'm over we will run it and check both. I will update with the results. Thank you for the response.

Tuner in Training
    UPDATE! It runs on its own and revs with the gas pedal but still needs work! My buddy came over to help me with some exhaust work yesterday and he took my laptop home with him to load the latest tune in which I re-enabled dynamic airflow because someone had it running on maf only. When I saw dynamic airflow disabled I starting to think if the maf was incorrect or faulty the motor wouldn't have the ve tables to fall back on to run the engine. I also added some extra air in the idle range because it has a cam and the stock airflow values were still there(Verified by downloading a stock file of the same year). He loaded the tune and it ran a little longer but died out.
    I instructed him to unplug the maf then restart. That's when it ran on it's own and idled great he said.
    So the tech at psi harness told him to run the camaro maf instead of the stock suburban one. I'm guessing because the camaro maf has the temp sensor built in and the suburban doesn't. I verified this by plugging each one of them in and watching the temp go from 84 to -40. Or maybe the suburban does and is non-functional idk. I could not find any supporting information on the google for this.
    Anyways, can I just download a stock matching year camaro file and copy the maf tables over the suburban tables?. I would like to do this step first and see if it works before diving into the wiring for the maf circuit if needed.
    Thanks.