Thread: Need Help!! 6.2L Car intake on a Truck engine looses throttle E38 p0606 code issues

Potential Tuner

Need Help!! 6.2L Car intake on a Truck engine looses throttle E38 p0606 code issues

Hello,

I'm building a custom Land Rover Defender 90 with an NV4500 manual transmission and a 6.2L that was removed from a 2012 Cadillac Escalade. Due to engine installation requirements we installed a car intake manifold on the truck long block. Tuning consisted of Scaling the Escalade MAF with a wide band to work with the larger intake tubing and everything seemed to be happy. I have put about 120 miles on the swap and in the last 50 or so miles the ECM seems to be glitching out. Under moderate load in 3rd or 4th gear I randomly loose throttle. The engine still runs and idles fine and it will set a P0606 code without turning on the CEL. I clear the code and I get throttle back and everything seems to be back to normal. I Performed a write entire reloading my tune with the corrected MAF table and drove it another 20 miles and the rig ran great. Now it looses throttle above 3400 RPMs you let off the pedal and you get throttle back and does not turn on the CEL.

The log files are attached where I lost throttle completely "P0606 fail twice"- It happened at 5:51 then again at 5:55 I coasted into a driveway read the code, cleared the code and drove on.

The Second Log file "Throttle Fail 4"is when I loose throttle control above 3400 rpms but get it back if I let off. This first happened at 3:40 then again 3:41 and two more times at 3:42 3:43 This time the CEL does not come on but I have some "permanent" MAF and throttle pedal codes that show up only in the VCM scanner. The CEL is not on and these codes are not present if I scan with another code reader.

I also attached my current tune file for you guys to look over and give me any advice on calibration with truck engine and car intake, as well as Auto to manual trans.

Is My ECM failing? Any advice on correcting this issue would be very much appreciated. Let me know if I can provide more information.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Put back ETC tables to the stock ECM file

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Put back ETC tables to the stock ECM file
    Thanks for the Reply and forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something easy. The Electronic Throttle Control tables in the Tune file I attached have not been changed from the stock Escalade ECM. Am I miss understanding what you are suggesting I do? Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Changing the Trans Type dropdown to 'Manual' and deleting the TCM does not turn an auto trans ECM into a manual trans ECM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Changing the Trans Type dropdown to 'Manual' and deleting the TCM does not turn an auto trans ECM into a manual trans ECM.
    Thank you for the reply. Are you suggesting to put it back to the Auto setting as it was in the OEM Escalade tune file? If so how would that be the cause of my seemingly random loss of throttle under mild load? I have attached the adjusted file. Is this what you are thinking? I'll give it a try. Thank you for the advice.

An auto trans ECM OS is expecting lots of info coming in from an attached TCM, over CANbus. The auto trans ECM gets lost if it's friend goes missing. The auto-only Escalade OS is not the right choice for a swap vehicle with a manual transmission.

When you changed the intake, did you also use the car throttle body, or reuse the original from the Escalade?

Potential Tuner
    An auto trans ECM OS is expecting lots of info coming in from an attached TCM, over CANbus. The auto trans ECM gets lost if it's friend goes missing. The auto-only Escalade OS is not the right choice for a swap vehicle with a manual transmission.

When you changed the intake, did you also use the car throttle body, or reuse the original from the Escalade?
    Thanks Blindsquirrel! I used the Car throttle body. I just got back from two test drive after loading the tune with the trans set to auto and it ran great no issues. Attached is the log file from the second test drive.

What you are saying is that with more test drives the ECM might get lost because it does not see anything from the TCM? Which would explain why it runs well for awhile then starts glitching out.

Would you recommend a 2012 Camaro manual trans ECM? Do you know if I can flash my escalade ECM with the Camaro Tune or will the OS's Not mesh? I didn't want to go that route because of the VVT being in place in the Escalade ECM?

Thank you so much for your time and responses.

Throttle body, operating system, and pedal sensor all have to be compatible. Start mixing things and you get no-worky, or worse, works perfect sometimes but then at random just decides to shut down. Car throttle body with Escalade ECM & whatever you used for an APP are likely what's causing this particular issue.

And by compatible I mean the APP/TB have to have the right relationships between APP1/APP2 and TP1/TP2, and match the expected values coded into the TAC segments in the ECM, which aren't accessible in HP Tuners.

If you change to an OS from a platform that had a manual trans option, you'll need to make sure the TB/APP are compatible with that OS.

Potential Tuner
    Throttle body, operating system, and pedal sensor all have to be compatible. Start mixing things and you get no-worky, or worse, works perfect sometimes but then at random just decides to shut down. Car throttle body with Escalade ECM & whatever you used for an APP are likely what's causing this particular issue.

And by compatible I mean the APP/TB have to have the right relationships between APP1/APP2 and TP1/TP2, and match the expected values coded into the TAC segments in the ECM, which aren't accessible in HP Tuners.

If you change to an OS from a platform that had a manual trans option, you'll need to make sure the TB/APP are compatible with that OS.
    Got it. I think Im currently in the camp of works perfectly then random decides to glitch out. I have the escalade TB and pedal so I could give those a try which should not have any issues with the escalade ECM. MAF is out of the escalade as well as all the sensors in the block so all of that should be ok. MAP sensor seems to be happy.

Thanks again for your advice.

The first log in your attachments shows P0122 & P0223, which are both throttle body/TP codes.

Potential Tuner
    I don?t understand those codes because they only show up in the vcm scanner and they don?t turn on the cel. When I scan the ecm with my other shop scanner it reports no dtcs. In addition they are not always present after I drive the vehicle for several test drives they will clear.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesys View Post
    I don?t understand those codes because they only show up in the vcm scanner and they don?t turn on the cel. When I scan the ecm with my other shop scanner it reports no dtcs. In addition they are not always present after I drive the vehicle for several test drives they will clear.
    After another 50 miles the P0606 code has not come back and everything seems to be functioning correctly. I still have the MAF and the Throttle related permanent codes. I'm going to install the Escalade throttle body assembly and a new MAF sensor to see if that corrects the permanent codes.

Would you guys have any other advice?

Thanks