Thread: TECHM programming question

Potential Tuner

Question TECHM programming question

Brand new guy to this forum and programing. I know someone has asked this question before, but apparently I'm incapable of locating the question. Here it is - Can you program a blank (New) TECHM with the HP tuner? Currently, I use Opus - Drew Technologies - (RAP) programming to do all our new installs. I was wondering if the HP tuner had the capabilities of copying and flashing to the new TECHM something like the old Dorman units used to do with the ODB11 plug in. I feel like we are kind of being redundant with paying RAP to program it and then I go back in and change the DOD and lock up timing. I hope I haven't confused y'all as mush as I am. All this programming stuff is a bit confusing to this old brain. Thanks for your help.

Nope, not a new blank one. If it's a reman that's had some sort of calibration in it before or a used one, then yes, HPT can write a different calibration.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you, I am brand new to this part and trying to get caught up. These forums are a blessing and make my head explode all at the same time.

Senior Tuner
    I've programmed probably around 100 right out of an A/C Delco box TECHMs and every one of them had 4 segments already programmed in them and all could be overwritten. I used to do it for a local transmission shop every time they changed one. I built a bench harness for them and as long as they still had the old one, I would read it with Tunercat OBD2 and write that file back to the new one. I believe there is no such thing as a new in a box TECHM. I think they are all re manufactured from cores. I would bet the only truly new ones only go in new manufactured vehicles.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 03-29-2023 at 07:04 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    I've programmed probably around 100 right out of an A/C Delco box TECHMs
    so how does this work? we read the tcm module from the original vehicle while its still in one piece, change the techm over and then just write that file to the new techm?
    what about the vin recorded in the new techm? will that get written over?

Senior Tuner
    Like I said I used Tunercat mostly. I would write the VIN to the TCM separately with TC Their licensing is different than HPT. You buy a definition file for the T43 and you can program as many as you want even if it is not paired with an ECM. Using HPT I would assume you would have to license the ECM paired with the TCM in order to just write the TCM only. I have done a few with HPT but they were on vehicles I had model year licenses on (07-13 V8 GM Trucks) so having the ECM licensed was never an issue.