Thread: New to tuning: Pentastar V6

Potential Tuner

New to tuning: Pentastar V6

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum, I recently purchased an MPVi2 for tuning my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.6 V6/NAG1 5-speed auto.

The thing is, I would like some help in tuning. I already know the basics but I was looking at the threads and I found people doing advanced things to their engines, albeit they had forced induction.

My question is: What should be modified and to what degree in a STOCK engine? (I only have a CAI).

Any help would really be appreciated and it would be nice to meet some of the community.

Thank you.

Elie Abou Issa

There's a lot of stuff that can be done with the pcm! My first thing was to set my spark/fuel/cam's to the Challenger settings the best I could as the Challenger has the highest power output then I modified my tune from there. Granted my adjustments and settings won't apply to your vehicle as I'm FWD but here's a copy of my tune that's been played with by many tuners and myself, it's kind of a hybrid tune. I will warn you, DO NOT copy the transmission settings as they are for my 62TE FWD transmission......

Attachment 129864

I have made many adjustments to this tune and I keep resorting back to it as a baseline for "MY" car. I use either 93octane or E50-E85 fuel with my mods.....
    I have more bolt ons than just a CAI....
    Also note that I average 22mpg highway on either fuels with my larger than stock fuel injectors and on E50+ at 7000rpm my injectors do not max out anymore using the bigger injectors I have. My stock Flex fuel injectors at 7000rpm were hitting 105% duty cycle on E50+ fuel so I added larger injectors to help compensate the max duty cycle so now at 7000rpm im only hitting around 75% max duty cycle on the injectors.
    Last edited by brr; 03-31-2023 at 02:14 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brr View Post
    There's a lot of stuff that can be done with the pcm! My first thing was to set my spark/fuel/cam's to the Challenger settings the best I could as the Challenger has the highest power output then I modified my tune from there. Granted my adjustments and settings won't apply to your vehicle as I'm FWD but here's a copy of my tune that's been played with by many tuners and myself, it's kind of a hybrid tune. I will warn you, DO NOT copy the transmission settings as they are for my 62TE FWD transmission......

Attachment 129864

I have made many adjustments to this tune and I keep resorting back to it as a baseline for "MY" car. I use either 93octane or E50-E85 fuel with my mods.....
    I have more bolt ons than just a CAI....
    Also note that I average 22mpg highway on either fuels with my larger than stock fuel injectors and on E50+ at 7000rpm my injectors do not max out anymore using the bigger injectors I have. My stock Flex fuel injectors at 7000rpm were hitting 105% duty cycle on E50+ fuel so I added larger injectors to help compensate the max duty cycle so now at 7000rpm im only hitting around 75% max duty cycle on the injectors.
    So a quick question from a new tuner, did you modify your 62TE at all? I am looking to compare this to my stock 2014 Caravan file to get me started.

Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    - Port the lower intake to PUG (Pentastar UpGrade kit) specs, or just buy a PUG lower intake.
    - Port/polish the throttle body.
    - Upgrade your oil cooler/filter housing assembly to an aluminum unit. Be sure to buy a set of OEM O-rings because the ones shipped with them will leak.

I've used a Challenger tune a reference to tune a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. It made a noticeable difference. If you post your tune, I'll do it if you want.

If you do custom cam angles or big bolt-on's you'll have to do your own VE tuning or use HPTuners Neural Network Trainer.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 04-12-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    - Port the lower intake to PUG (Pentastar UpGrade kit) specs, or just buy a PUG lower intake.
    - Upgrade your oil cooler/filter housing assembly to an aluminum unit. Be sure to buy a set of OEM O-rings because the ones shipped with them will leak.

I've used a Challenger tune a reference to tune a 2014 Jeep Wrangler. It made a noticeable difference. If you post your tune, I'll do it if you want.

If you do custom cam angles or big bolt-on's you'll have to do your own VE tuning or use HPTuners Neural Network Trainer.
    Thanks for the information, I won't be doing any bolt ons, but I can handle porting and Ill look into the other items as well.

This is what I pulled from the van stock.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post

I just read the other post and received the file you updated there for me based on a 2015 Challenger. Ill try to load it up and let you know

Thank you!

Attachment 130852
    Yes, this tune has a modified 62TE transmission tune done. This is the current tune I'm playing with but I still use my previous tune
    Attachment 130853
    As a base line.....
    I'm playing with the cams and A/F adjustments now. I also pulled 2deg of timing at WOT and MBT currently to see how things play out in daily driving.....

SiriusC1024, I used the NeuralNetworkTrainer on my current base tune that I posted here and my HPTsoftware numbers dropped. I have not purchased this trainer since, but it could be just a freak thing also.
    Last edited by brr; 04-24-2023 at 01:38 AM.

Attachment 131005
    I resorted back to this tune as a baseline again. I'm currently working on a few other adjustments but as of now this N/A tune has been the best based on HPT numbers....
    Last edited by brr; 05-06-2023 at 02:09 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by brr View Post
    Attachment 131005Attachment 131005
    I resorted back to this tune as a baseline again. I'm currently working on a few other adjustments but as of now this N/A tune has been the best based on HPT numbers....
    Do you have a log of this tune running?

Attachment 131342

Note, the WOT run was on a flat surface in 36deg winter weather and cold roads. Also my $400 Innovate ECF-1 was not working again(POS) so the recorded A/F's are not accurate.....

Advanced Tuner
    30 degree air

30 degree timing

yer not worried about it knocking like that?
    Last edited by LilSick; 05-06-2023 at 09:28 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Idk man. Those fuel trims need a lot of work. Also, commanding a little lean at WOT for my liking.

P0300 random misfire code, too.
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 05-06-2023 at 06:56 PM.

As I mentioned before, the Innovate gauge is off....I've had issues using the Innovate WB after 6 months of use. After that I've gone through many sensors to find out the Innovate gauge is junk when it comes to WB readings. I currently am using a AEM 30-4110 gauge with the previous "Bosch sensor with actual readings now. Typically at WOT my motor pulls hard using 11.5 A/F's or .78-.79 Lambda.

Attachment 131724 Here's my latest default tune

Attachment 131724 This is the latest log

I've been using this tune as a baseline lately due to the Alcohol % changes and the weather changes. I've been slowly changing things when I can to see what improvements are happening. It seems the standard Wideband O2 is the "Bosch 17025" sensor. I've tried cheaper WB sensor options and they do not work.

I'm going to try and delete my previous logs and tunes off of the site as after all this time of playing with things I ended up resorting back to my previous tune again. My ethanol content has ranged from 55-68% lately and outside temps where I live have ranged from 35-75deg F. Also depending on which tune I've used my knock has hit almost 2deg of retard with my many test tunes. The current one I'm using I'm going to leave alone for now as tomorrow I'm getting my exhaust cutout fixed and hopefully I can get better airflow numbers as I think the Mopar catback may be killing my airflow numbers.

Potential Tuner
    hello guys....im new hp tuners. im looking for tune gain HP and Tq and switch 87 to 93 octane?? I have 2018 Jeep Grand cherokee 3.6L...KN cold intake system, RIPP Coil packs, MMX throttle body 80mm ported and cat back exhausted. No supercharged or turbo. so u guys have write file for that?
    Last edited by Jeep2018; 06-10-2023 at 08:43 PM.

Potential Tuner
    The tune is not visible in attachment, is it ok if you share again please?