Thread: 2006 GMC Envoy Denali, 5.3 LH6 Truck Norris cam Misfires are Idle

Potential Tuner

2006 GMC Envoy Denali, 5.3 LH6 Truck Norris cam Misfires are Idle

Hi Everyone,
    I bought the Envoy with a spun rod bearing. I rebuilt the motor and did the DOD delete and added the Truck Norris cam. The Envoy doesn't have VVT. I have sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and do not believe I have a vacuum leak. I did a compression check on the 2 worst cylinders and they were both 120 lbs. I also added 2 grounds from the block to frame and firewall to cylinder head. It runs good above 1500 RPMs. I just added a wideband but it is only showing a voltage currently...I still have to sort that out. I am hoping this is a tune issue but I am not sure.

I have searched for P0300 but didn't find anything relavant. I am sorry if I missed the solution. I will attach the tune file and a scan file while idling.

Thank you in advance for the help!MIssfire log 032923.hpl2006 GMC Envoy 030423 final before WBo2 base idle airflow increased 1.15.hpt

Tuning Addict
    You need to set the cylinder deactivation codes to no error and then raise the misfire counters by (x1.5) for starters then go with smaller amounts until the misfires aren't showing anymore. Usually a truck norris won't show that many misfires but your cal does have very low settings for misfires. I also assume you've done a crank variation relearn for the rebuilt motor and all bearing clearances were checked? Loose bearings will show misses, but shouldn't be for all cylinders unless multiple are loose.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    You need to set the cylinder deactivation codes to no error and then raise the misfire counters by (x1.5) for starters then go with smaller amounts until the misfires aren't showing anymore. Usually a truck norris won't show that many misfires but your cal does have very low settings for misfires. I also assume you've done a crank variation relearn for the rebuilt motor and all bearing clearances were checked? Loose bearings will show misses, but shouldn't be for all cylinders unless multiple are loose.
    Thank you Ghuggins! I was able to set the cylinder deactivation codes to no error but I couldn't find where to raise the misfire counters. Under Engine Diagnostics, I went to the misfire tab, but they are all read only tables. (I just realized I need to take a training and test...which I just did) I have the tables adjusted and will try it tomorrow.

The other issue I have is the Crank Relearn, I originally did it wrong. I redid it correctly this time...I believe. But the scanner didn't confirm it was completed successfully. It is a T40 which of course if not a full Gen4. The process is to slowly press the gas until the gas cut off happens...then cycle the key after the engine comes back down to idle. I waited 15 seconds to turn it back on. The scanner didn't do anything....not sure if that is normal.

Thank you again for your help!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by HPTuner newbie View Post
    Thank you Ghuggins! I was able to set the cylinder deactivation codes to no error but I couldn't find where to raise the misfire counters. Under Engine Diagnostics, I went to the misfire tab, but they are all read only tables. (I just realized I need to take a training and test...which I just did) I have the tables adjusted and will try it tomorrow.

The other issue I have is the Crank Relearn, I originally did it wrong. I redid it correctly this time...I believe. But the scanner didn't confirm it was completed successfully. It is a T40 which of course if not a full Gen4. The process is to slowly press the gas until the gas cut off happens...then cycle the key after the engine comes back down to idle. I waited 15 seconds to turn it back on. The scanner didn't do anything....not sure if that is normal.

Thank you again for your help!
    I think it's normal to not get any feedback on a lot of HPT's special functions.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    I think it's normal to not get any feedback on a lot of HPT's special functions.
    That also means you need to know all the conditions that have to be met - above a certain ECT, apply brake BEFORE turning IGN to RUN, etc. It is described in your service manual. Doing it on a Tech2 you will get prompts and feedback about each step, HPT does not hold your hand and assume you don't know what you're doing.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry for the delay in responding life keeps getting in the way of my project. I appreciate the confirmation gtstorey. Thank you Blindsquirrel, I did look up what was required after I did it incorrectly. GHuggins, that did it. I have a little fine adjusting to go, but it is 95% there. I appreciate everyone's help.