Thread: 5.3 LM7 1989 Firebird, first tune

Tuner in Training

5.3 LM7 1989 Firebird, first tune

I've spent a lot of time tuning this car and just finished a T56 swap, which necessitated going trough it again. I bought this car in highschool and finally got it finished up, mechanically at least. I haven't been able to get my wideband hooked into HPTuners just yet but I feel the car is comfortably close to on the money and safe to drive.

I logged based off an external wideband for VE and MAF, not ideal, but it worked. I also managed to get the O2 sensors working at idle finally.

This is the first heavily modified car I've tuned, if anyone has time to take a look over the log and tune, I'd be most appreciative. I want to make sure there are no glaring issues I'm not seeing. Thanks!

1989 Firebird
    LM7 5.3
    706 heads
    LS1 intake and injectors
    234/228 .576"/.571" 113 LSA 112 Centerline (I believe this is an old SLP camshaft)
    LT Headers, 3" exhaust
    T56 Magnum

WhitebirdCurrent.hpt
    WhitebirdLog1.hpl
    Last edited by elementaltoad; 03-30-2023 at 04:06 PM.

Tuner in Training
    No critique? I've been driving the car in the wild weather and temp swings we've been having in Texas lately. It feels great and I haven't noticed any glaring issues.

O2 responsiveness at idle seems better than my stock 2002 Z28. Fuel trims at idle are less than 2% in either direction, trims around town are withing 4-5% and WOT AFRs never lean out more than 13.2 anywhere. Time for some track times and a dyno session.

Senior Tuner
    You might be disappointed spending the money on a dyno tune. I think you've done a pretty good job.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    You might be disappointed spending the money on a dyno tune. I think you've done a pretty good job.
    Thanks! Worst case, it's a 5.3, easy to replace. I sent off the oil for analysis and it came back perfect, so I know I'm not hammering out bearings or anything.