Thread: Handheld tune with so much timing

Advanced Tuner

Handheld tune with so much timing

One of my customers bought a truck with this tune already loaded in.

I pulled it to take a look, and wow, that?s a bunch of timing

truck starts, runs, drives, and has been like this for some time.

I have not data logged or done anything to it, as it?s in the shop getting body work, but i have to guess its pulling timing everywhere

This is a lifted vehicle with 40-inch tires, 5:50 ring and pinion, stock convertor, 5.3, truck norris NSR cam, short headers, no cats, 4" single exhaust =, that's it, nothing special.

Any ideas why theyd crank the timing and VE like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Base correction adder table is zeroed out, so the net is probably about the same as stock. Or at least not as much over stock as it looks like if you only look at the main spark tables.

VE is untouched compared to a stock VIN T file?

But then again...

Which file are you asking about? The one created by the handheld (at 'Base'), or the one that's been edited since it was last read out from the PCM?

screenshot.30-03-2023 12.24.43.png

The file in its current form is not the one the handheld put in there. It's been messed with. Otherwise those edits wouldn't show up in Tune History like that. I am feeling a bit deceived.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    . I am feeling a bit deceived.
    good catch, i forgot they store modifications. Learn something new everyday in here.
    Owner says it hasnt been modified, only what the handheld was inputted.
    interesting..

To get back to the as-read file, open history, right click on Base, select Open in New Editor, then save that file with a new name. That only takes you back in time as far as the first time the file was read out from the PCM, it doesn't show any changes made before that time. Changelog is stored in the file only, they don't get written to the PCM.

Advanced Tuner
    Definitely relax some of the spark into the 25-28 range and relax some of that shift pressure. Also fix your fan 2 temp settings. I would personally set a lot of the tables back to stock and compare with a known stock file on knock sensor sensitivity before you melt something.