Thread: loud TCC & 3 - 1 downshift lurch forward

Tuner in Training

loud TCC & 3 - 1 downshift lurch forward

I recently had my transmission completely rebuilt and the shop put in a heavy duty torque converter. It's much louder than the stock when it seems to be locking/unlocking -- specifically on higher gears when going from a low throttle position to a coast (0% TPS) it clunks and I can feel a little jerk in the car -- I have read a bunch and used other users tuning settings, but I have yet to get this worked out. I suppose it could just be the nature of a heavy duty TC

As for the 3 to 1 downshift lurching forward, this is the reason I initially brought it in for the TCC then decided to just get it all rebuilt. The shifts have been damn near perfect since the rebuild except for the downshift when coming to a stop. I logged it and it's going from 3 to 1 around the 4-5mph mark. I can see the downshift commanded in the tables, and have made numerous changes to try to adjust it without any success. I'm mostly here asking for help on this as I can deal with the loud clanking. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I have tried all I can think of.

Thanks in advance!

Potential Tuner
    did the tcc and other shift solenoids get replaced? i was shocked to learn that you specifically have to ask in advance or they generally will assume they are good to go. when its holding, i assume you are on the brake. next time, just tap the brake when coasting tcc lockup and see if the rpms change. that SHOULD unlock the tcc immediately, if it doesnt, fist thing needed is a click test (do them all) on a scan tool, and hear if it sounds muffled. alternatively, just replace the tcc solenoid. of course, go over the changes made to the tcc circuit. you might have inadvertently changed a 0 throttle speed setting or whatever. id say go back to stock and test, but im sure you made some gear speed changes, so the lockup speed should be adjusted to match, or youll end up with some potentially bad events. maybe take the dc% and apply settings back to stock and see what happens. factory settings use a partial slip to reduce engine vibrations, clear loose clutch material, keep the circuit clean, etc.... whatever the reason, its an update from the old direct/full lock ones that were tied to the egr, in the 80s and early 90s. i used to get a lot of those, mostly fwd that would stay locked up trying to stop after being above 45mph for a few miles straight, and stall the engine. tranny shops, being what they are, always said that you need a new 3k+ tranny for a 1500 dollar car, but i digress. not sure if im seeing horses or zebras, but thats where my head is at.
    while you are logging, see if its commanding the tcc off when its supposed to. the 3-1 could be waiting for the tcc release, then going below minimum speed, where it forces the jump to 1st anyways.