Thread: Tuning Vue 2.2l ecotec

Potential Tuner

Tuning Vue 2.2l ecotec

I was looking to do some basic tuning on my 05 vue. Hp tuners doesn't support this particular ecu. What would be the next best alternative ecu? The Cavalier ecu might work, but would require converting to a cable throttle. An LNF or LNJ might work, but the crank sensor pickup tooth count changed sometime around 2005. Can Hp tuners adjust for this?

Senior Tuner
    I hope you know what you are getting into with this. Probably a major job of rewiring at the very least for very little gain.

The LNF is probably of the table, since it is Turbo and Direct Injection. It is also a weird ECM that is tuned differently than anything else. I would think that maybe an 07 Cobalt Base 2.2 might be a better choice.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    I hope you know what you are getting into with this. Probably a major job of rewiring at the very least for very little gain.

The LNF is probably of the table, since it is Turbo and Direct Injection. It is also a weird ECM that is tuned differently than anything else. I would think that maybe an 07 Cobalt Base 2.2 might be a better choice.
    I heard the crank trigger on the later engines was a different tooth count? Is this something hptuners can address? I can repin and change ecu plugs if needed. Would prefer to avoid a cable throttle though.

Senior Tuner
    You would have to look at the tunes in the repository and see if that is available.

You realize that any of the other modules that might need to communicate with the ECM probably won’t?

With the limited amount of traffic and knowledge on this section, and the unusual thing that you want to do, you probably aren’t going to get much help on here. The people that knew about these ECMs have mostly moved on. But you might get lucky and have one of the people who might know the answers weigh in.

What are you hoping to accomplish with a 2.2 ecotec tune?

Potential Tuner
    This is a manual, so I don't have to worry about any transmission control module. Main issue is the cluster and the BCM.

I'm after fuel economy. I'd like to lower my o2 stoichiometric voltage.
    Last edited by mr220v; 03-31-2023 at 09:30 PM.

Do you know for a fact that it really does not work, or just assuming that from the supported vehicles page? ECM service number for 2005 Vue 2.4L comes up with 19299212 or 12202143, both of which cross to 2002 thru 2007. I have had cars that were not on the official supported list but was able to pull the tune off the ECM, view everything, and make changes like normal.

That said, I do not think your plan for improving fuel economy is going to work like you think it will.

Senior Tuner
    It’s said that the 2005 base cobalt ecm isn’t tunable but I haven’t tried it and don’t even know it’s the same.

The instrument cluster might be a module on that car that may communicate with the ECM, I don’t know how to determine what are modules and what communicates with what.

So 2007 with the same ECM is tunable, but previous years with the same service number are not? Is it an OS/calibration thing? How different can they really be if the supported and unsupported years all run on the same hardware? Look, I'm not saying it works or doesn't work, just that I've seen similar one-year-earlier-than-officially-supported work just like normal. Sometimes a year/platform is 'unsupported' only because they never had one to test on. If it reads the file off the ECM, and it opens in the editor, you can send the file to support and they'll add it to the supported list.

Senior Tuner
    For the cobalt, it’s not just that they don’t list it, but particularly say that it (05 & 06 2.2l) doesn’t work. I’ve had one to try. Definitely worth trying before trying to make some other ECM work.

I thought we were talking about an officially-unsupported 2005 Saturn Vue 2.4L? Where the '07 Vue with the same engine and same ECM service number *is* officially supported?

The 'can I swap a Cobalt ECM into my Vue so I can alter the O2 rich/lean bias' part is... yeah. Let's not.

Senior Tuner
    Actually I think we are talking about a Saturn Vue 2.2l. I thought it likely that this was a similar ECM to the Cobalt 2.2l of the same year, but I didn’t do any digging to see if that is true.

You're right, all the Vues are 2.2L... anyway, lookup says all from '02-'07 are the same service number.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...ntrol-12202143

Senior Tuner
    It gets more confusing as we dig. They did make a 2.4 Vue starting in 07 which HPT does list as supported. It looks like this is the hybrid version so I’m surprised that HPT supports it.

Oooooh, so that's the one in the list? I didn't catch that. The '07 2.4L has an E67.

The 06 pcm was an oddball that isn't supported, it looks physically different. I don't remember which is in the vue, we converted our cobalt racecar to cavalier so we could get cable throttle, electronic isn't real desired with a dirt track car that's exposed to the elements. The reluctor changed from 6+1 to 60-2 on the newer motors, we run a 2.4 bottom end and have to buy a custom reluctor wheel to function with the older pcm
    Last edited by badcoupe; 04-02-2023 at 07:58 PM.