Thread: 16 silverado 1500 5.3 stage II cam and built 6l80. trans shift mode issue norm-hot

Tuner in Training

16 silverado 1500 5.3 stage II cam and built 6l80. trans shift mode issue norm-hot

whats up everyone. I have a weird issue, and was wondering if anyone here has dealt with the same, or would possibly have an explanation as to why..

The truck is 2016 silverado 6l80 trans, i just recently had it rebuilt. Ive had the truck tuned but the transmission shift mode goes from normal to hot, for what seems to be no reason at all.. The temp is never higher than 180 when it occurs. it does it under normal cruising speeds, light throttle. I can feel it switch modes because the parameters are different. As well as see it in the scanner.. Im not seeing any significant slip or changes in the scanner that would make it change shift modes.. I am also not an expert, so I figured I would try here before I send the truck back to the trans shop.. thanks in advance..

Tuning Addict
    About 80 or so percent through tuning one right now that was doing the same. Same story too - he had it rebuilt as well - I wound up changing a bunch of things that actually did help it, but it would always eventually go to hot mode. Wound up being his TCM/Valve body after replacing the converter to fix a burnt TCC issue. He was running a Circle D that came apart, but even after fixing all of that it wound up needing the valve body. His didn't show any slippage other than when the bad converter was in it. It apparently had been slipping for some time before he looked me up and I started on it as it was slipping bad from the getgo and no pressure or apply settings made any difference - well converter clutch burnt out so you can imagine the slippage.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    ok, I believe im going to just take it back to the trans shop. All of that was supposed to be replaced as it was not a cheap build, but with the way shops do things now, who knows.. Im not able to find any kind information on the issue. I was thinking maybe it was a lot of slip, causing a drastic amount of heat within a small amount of time, tripping the sensor but i can be completely off the throttle sometimes, it will downshift going into hot shift mode.. Its a little irritating having all this time and money invested, just to have something half ass.. But i wont stop until its sorted out..

I appreciate the response.