Thread: ls tuning where to start ?

Potential Tuner

ls tuning where to start ?

i am new to the ls tuning where do i start i have a 2011 gmc 1500 it had a bad 5.3 engine dod lifter failure po kept driving it to it spun a rod bearing and also wiped out the mains aluminum block no good i have a gen4 6.0 vvt engine in the shop i changed it over to the 3 bolt cam and used a stage 2 cam and put it the truck truck fired rite only have a few codes for the 2 rear 02s which are not hooked up just the first 2 02s are hooked up it has po10 cam code also the truck runs great like it is but its running real rich and it will idle up high when i barely touch the gas pedal it goes up to 3000 rpm and then it slows down to idle but with the cam its loseing some vacum when i hit the brakes it wants to almost die down and quit running so i would like to know what do i need to do to learn how to start tuning my own truck i dont know what i need to buy to even start tuning i have 3 other trucks that have the 6.0 so i need to start some where

Did you install a non VVT front cover?

You will have to turn off the AFM/DoD stuff in the tune and set the camshaft selection from "one" to none with the VVT removal. Past that it will be some copy/paste work with a few tables to make it like a 6.0. Things like idle airflow and the VVE tables for fueling.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Did you install a non VVT front cover?

You will have to turn off the AFM/DoD stuff in the tune and set the camshaft selection from "one" to none with the VVT removal. Past that it will be some copy/paste work with a few tables to make it like a 6.0. Things like idle airflow and the VVE tables for fueling.
    yes i did and it has 1 camshaft sensor it keeps poping up a po10 code and it runs real rich and will just cut off when putting in gear sometimes also the vss senor reads wrong mph and it will shift thru the 6 speeds way to quick

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4k20 View Post
    yes i did and it has 1 camshaft sensor it keeps poping up a po10 code and it runs real rich and will just cut off when putting in gear sometimes also the vss senor reads wrong mph and it will shift thru the 6 speeds way to quick
    I would start off with checking wiring connections, making sure all connectors are properly connected, no pushed out or bent terminals. Do an old school Ford wiggle test. Idling pull on the harness and connectors looking for a stall and what you pulled when it did. Use the scanner to record what sensor value fails or drops to zero when it craps out. Verify ground wires. ALL of them.