Thread: 2017+ 6.7 Fuel Temp Limits

Potential Tuner

2017+ 6.7 Fuel Temp Limits

Can anyone explain the why behind the fuel temp torque management table? It seems like a pretty aggressive compensation as power is limited as low as 90*F. So I'm curious what is actually happening in the combustion process that warrants this. I haven't been able to find too much information on the topic compared to other aspects of the factory calibration.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 203313.png

Banned
    When fuel temp gets hot, the truck starts to pull back on power. this table is also used to create your sotf if you want to build a sotf scam tune like proven and literally everyone.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    When fuel temp gets hot, the truck starts to pull back on power. this table is also used to create your sotf if you want to build a sotf scam tune like proven and literally everyone.
    Do you have any more info than that? I understand that power is reduced as fuel temp increases, the table shows that pretty clearly. I'm interested in what is happening during the combustion process that warrants the reduction being so dramatic. I understand that the density of the fuel decreases as temperature increases so you would need a longer PW to make the same power. But that seems like a pretty easy compensation to make, so why pull power so aggressively instead? In the warmer parts of the country, it seems like these trucks would never come close to the power they are rated at.

Tuner in Training
    I'm just guessing, but if the fuel temps are rising and the fuel cooler can't pull down temps because there's a lot of stress on the secondary cooling loop, then you don't want to keep adding fuel to make the fire hotter.

Does this table exist in 11-16 calibrations?? I know it's not in the hpt definitions.
    Last edited by jetskier; 04-03-2023 at 03:29 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Another interesting thing I just discovered that may play into this. According to https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man....7L_Diesel.pdf (page 29) the secondary radiator is divided into upper and lower sections which are regulated to 140* and 113* respectively. Both of those numbers are deep into the areas where this table is pulling power, so how exactly is the "fuel cooler" actually cooling the fuel in any meaningful way?

Are you sure that is actually in Fahrenheit? I would be very surprised if the truck began to pull power at only 95. Your down to half power at as low as 112. That's a hot day in the south, plus your fuel is going to be hotter than ambient due to the pressurization of the fuel, and the underwood temps.

Banned
    yes its in all 11-22 calibrations. the fuel cooler will stay pretty cool, usually temps will rise do to restricted fuel systems and not actual work of the motor. keep your filters clean and you'll be good to go.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CKrueg View Post
    Are you sure that is actually in Fahrenheit? I would be very surprised if the truck began to pull power at only 95. Your down to half power at as low as 112. That's a hot day in the south, plus your fuel is going to be hotter than ambient due to the pressurization of the fuel, and the underwood temps.
    According to HP Tuners it is, but it could definitely be wrong. I have a support ticket open questioning another table that I believe is an EGT-based limit in Celsius but HP Tuners has it listed as Fahrenheit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mjsmithnh; 04-04-2023 at 08:14 AM.

Tuner in Training
    The Engine Protection Torque Limit 2 table looks like it is EGT based and in the wrong units as well. It shows 733.9?F, but if you convert 733.9 as ?C to F, it's 1350. This seems to be in line with the old 7.3L rule for turbo temp at 1300 max turbo temp. This could be a handy table if this is the case to limit torque automatically and reduce temps when towing
    Screenshot 2023-04-04 100729.jpg

It could also be the EGR temp sensor as well.
    Last edited by jetskier; 04-04-2023 at 12:11 PM.