Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS3 & GM performance trans controler

Tuner in Training

LS3 & GM performance trans controler

Build has 2008 Vette LS3 and aftermarket performance transmission with GM performance 19302409 controller & harness. The Can lines have been connected between modules. The transmission module shows RPM, coolant temp, battery voltage. But doesn't show MPH. Has anyone found way get two to work together?

ECM has vss sensor and shows input. But trans setting in the ecm has be (manual) for it to register. When set to auto the ecm vss doesn't register. Never registers in auto trans module.

This setup is in 78 CJ7

https://d354nuoz4t18d4.cloudfront.ne...r-10302410.pdf
    Instructions show it needs a connection directly to the ECM from the OSS to get MPH

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    https://d354nuoz4t18d4.cloudfront.ne...r-10302410.pdf
    Instructions show it needs a connection directly to the ECM from the OSS to get MPH
    This is what I see in the instructions.

NOTE: These transmission controller kits only function in conjunction with CPP EROD/LS Engine Controller Kits. You must
    ensure the Vehicle Speed Sensor connector from the engine harness has been plugged in to the transmission Output Speed
    Sensor on the transmission

The transmission module does not have direct connection to the VSS/OSS. Only direct connection to ECM is can network connections. I have RPM and coolant being shared. Why cant I get VSS to be shared? I've tried changing the VSS options under speedo section without success.

Here is tune file.

speedo change 6.hpt

Because the actual vehicle speed is calculated in the ECM/PCM not the TCM. That is why the process for tire/diff gear/pulse output is the same between manual and auto.

Tuner in Training
    Because the actual vehicle speed is calculated in the ECM/PCM not the TCM. That is why the process for tire/diff gear/pulse output is the same between manual and auto.
    So what am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by 06TrailblazerSS View Post
    So what am I missing?
    From what the instructions say you need to hard wire the vehicles output speed sensor directly to the ECM. I don't have the schematic in front of me but shouldn't be to hard to perform.

Tuner in Training
    From what the instructions say you need to hard wire the vehicles output speed sensor directly to the ECM. I don't have the schematic in front of me but shouldn't be to hard to perform.
    The VSS is directly connected to the ECM (X1 connector pins 71&72). Thats why I'm at loss. The ECM displays MPH in scanner, but trans controller doesn't show MPH.

I'm going loo back over the wiring and make sure person put it together did it correctly.

Your ECM is programmed as an automatic trans 2008 Corvette. An auto trans OS will not read a hard-wired VSS connected to the pins the manual trans OS uses. Auto trans OS is only ever going to listen for VSS coming in over CAN from a TCM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Your ECM is programmed as an automatic trans 2008 Corvette. An auto trans OS will not read a hard-wired VSS connected to the pins the manual trans OS uses. Auto trans OS is only ever going to listen for VSS coming in over CAN from a TCM.

NOTE: These transmission controller kits only function in conjunction with CPP EROD/LS Engine Controller Kits. You must
    ensure the Vehicle Speed Sensor connector from the engine harness has been plugged in to the transmission Output Speed
    Sensor on the transmission.

Quote from the instructions.

I have tried setting it as Auto and Manual under trans tab.

Tuner in Training
    Another odd thing.
    The TCM doesn't show. Can't do read with HP tunes. But when use my snap-on scanner as 2008 chevy express van with 5.3L the scanner comms correctly.

Senior Tuner
    Are you running the “engine controller kit” that the instructions call for? I think that includes an ECM? There has been discussions that these are different than the original stock ECMs. I don’t know how far that extends.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    Are you running the “engine controller kit” that the instructions call for? I think that includes an ECM? There has been discussions that these are different than the original stock ECMs. I don’t know how far that extends.
    It has factory 2008 LS3 controller and harness built by novak. Has novak performance 4L60E level 3 with adaptor. The tech department at novak saidd this combo would work before ordered trans & harness.

Another odd thing.
    The TCM doesn't show. Can't do read with HP tunes. But when use my snap-on scanner as 2008 chevy express van with 5.3L the scanner comms correctly.
    Of course HP Tuners won't read the TCM, it is an aftermarket module and not factory. Powertrain Control Solutions enables the pids for scanners as if it is factory though.

I'm pretty sure the issue is what Blindsquirrel said in post #8. The ECM must be programmed as a manual and the VSS be hardwired to the ECM. The TCM then uses a calculated wheel speed to display based on the parameters entered into the software.

-Greg
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by radrace19 View Post
    Of course HP Tuners won't read the TCM, it is an aftermarket module and not factory. Powertrain Control Solutions enables the pids for scanners as if it is factory though.

I'm pretty sure the issue is what Blindsquirrel said in post #8. The ECM must be programmed as a manual and the VSS be hardwired to the ECM. The TCM then uses a calculated wheel speed to display based on the parameters entered into the software.

-Greg
    I've had it programmed as manual and wires are hardwired to the ECM. ECM shows vehicle speed in pid.
    Calculated wheel speed in ECM or TCM software. Going go look at both.

The TCM software will display the calculated speed. Are you using the USB cable for the TCM and the Chevrolet Performance software? Post the Chevrolet Performance .CPM file and I'll take a look.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by radrace19 View Post
    The TCM software will display the calculated speed. Are you using the USB cable for the TCM and the Chevrolet Performance software? Post the Chevrolet Performance .CPM file and I'll take a look.

Tried multiple times and manage attachments says cpm.file is invalid

Senior Tuner
    Change the extension to something else that HPT will accept and I think you can upload it.

NOTE: These transmission controller kits only function in conjunction with CPP EROD/LS Engine Controller Kits.
    That means the CPP EROD ECM programmed with the CPP EROD calibration. Not a similar service number programmed as a production vehicle.

I have tried setting it as Auto and Manual under trans tab.
    That does not transmorgrify an auto trans OS into a manual trans OS. Wish it did, it would make a lot of things so much easier, but it doesn't.

Senior Tuner
    I would think the ECM and TCM would have to be the original GMPP calibrations. You cannot SPS those calibrations.

HPtuners actually works on the 6 speed GMPP trans controller. Its pretty obvious there are differences in the background you can't see as it operates differently.. TCC seems to be either abrupt on or off with them and nothing will undo that.

But anyway.. heads up to anyone reading. you can read them with Hptuners and do quite a bit of editing that way.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I would think the ECM and TCM would have to be the original GMPP calibrations. You cannot SPS those calibrations.

HPtuners actually works on the 6 speed GMPP trans controller. Its pretty obvious there are differences in the background you can't see as it operates differently.. TCC seems to be either abrupt on or off with them and nothing will undo that.

But anyway.. heads up to anyone reading. you can read them with Hptuners and do quite a bit of editing that way.
    HPtuners should not work on the 6L80e speed Chevrolet Performance trans controller as it is programmed with custom software. If HPT is used it might brick the TCM that is why the performance transmission comes with its own USB cable and programming software. The software is on the Chevrolet Performance website. LINK

Actually the Chevrolet Performance TCM just pulls the broadcast CAN data from the E38/E67/E92 modules

-Greg
    Last edited by radrace19; 04-10-2023 at 09:34 AM.