Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tuning MAF and VVE at the Same Time

Quote Originally Posted by cpd004 View Post
    Yes...I will probably drop this one this week and wipe my hands and call it good. There are a few features I would like to try to add in to prevent those saddle shapes for missing data (just so this is a little more usable to those not as proficient with VVE stuff). Then the real work will begin on version 2.0!
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Advanced Tuner
    I was watching the VVE video and it shows that the boundaries need set up. I have the speed density 2bar OS patch installed. Would I still be able to use the VVE tool?

Senior Tuner
    the proper VE table is easy just get the error data as normal and adjust it, the VE dosnt have to calculate to anything alse it just stays as its adjusted cell by cell

Advanced Tuner
    Ah ok. So, no need to use the tool. Just have to make sure to plot against dynamic instead of the fuel trims. Thank you!

Senior Tuner
    even easier its just wideband or trims error against the VE map/rpm table and ur done

Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    Ah ok. So, no need to use the tool. Just have to make sure to plot against dynamic instead of the fuel trims. Thank you!
    This tool is overkill for a standard VE table. However, there is one advantage in that you can take many logs and average them together into one massive histogram to get a much better long term average.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    This tool is overkill for a standard VE table. However, there is one advantage in that you can take many logs and average them together into one massive histogram to get a much better long term average.
    With that said; the only other thing I think I would need to do, is use Dynamic instead of the LTFT & STFT, correct? And that goes for MAF tuning as well?

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    even easier its just wideband or trims error against the VE map/rpm table and ur done
    With or without a filter and how many cell hits do you recommend?
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

With that said; the only other thing I think I would need to do, is use Dynamic instead of the LTFT & STFT, correct? And that goes for MAF tuning as well?

Yes, and just be aware that in the HPT Scanner MAF maxes out at 512g/s and VVE maxes out at 655 g/s. So if you hit those caps the DynAir method, its not going to work.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Yes, and just be aware that in the HPT Scanner MAF maxes out at 512g/s and VVE maxes out at 655 g/s. So if you hit those caps the DynAir method, its not going to work.
    Could you explain a little more on where in the tune file the maxes are for maf and map and how do we log that in the scanner? Thanks Cringer
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    Could you explain a little more on where in the tune file the maxes are for maf and map and how do we log that in the scanner? Thanks Cringer
    The issue is not in the the tune or in the editor.

The issue is an inherent defect in the HPT scanner (or maybe a limit of the CANBus or ECM itself, but probably HPT, IDK). Either way, the scanner is unable to report airflows above these numbers. And since these numbers are absolutely critical to the Dynamic Air formula, it renders this method helpless above these caps. Check this post's attachment... you can see the MAF and VVE values climb and then they flat line when they hit the built in limit in the scanner.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post743605

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

The issue is not in the the tune or in the editor.

The issue is an inherent defect in the HPT scanner (or maybe a limit of the CANBus or ECM itself, but probably HPT, IDK). Either way, the scanner is unable to report airflows above these numbers. And since these numbers are absolutely critical to the Dynamic Air formula, it renders this method helpless above these caps. Check this post's attachment... you can see the MAF and VVE values climb and then they flat line when they hit the built in limit in the scanner.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post743605
    Ok, I see what your talking about. Thanks again Cringer

Advanced Tuner
    I've always heard of those max limits. What happens if you simply change the limit in the scanner? Right click charts, select MAF then raise the limit? Seemed to work for me but not sure if there are drawbacks to that.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    With or without a filter and how many cell hits do you recommend?
    im old school ill go thru the log with no filters/cell hits and just grab the parts i need and add to the VE and then build it all out to the previous cells so its all smooth from there

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    im old school ill go thru the log with no filters/cell hits and just grab the parts i need and add to the VE and then build it all out to the previous cells so its all smooth from there
    Thank you sir.

Advanced Tuner
    I've always heard of those max limits. What happens if you simply change the limit in the scanner? Right click charts, select MAF then raise the limit? Seemed to work for me but not sure if there are drawbacks to that.
    Won't have any effect...they will still max out at both of those limits no matter what you put in.

Potential Tuner
    I tried the Smokeshow method and it taught me a lot, but ultimately I felt it had limitations. Could be my setup though. In the end, it lead me down a much simpler path and gave me more accurate results. Here is where the path has taken me. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/xRZaTblSQ_0

Here is the math, copy and paste into your own math xml file. Also, be sure to use the proper filters no matter what method you use!

MAF CL
    (([2320.71]+([2320.71]*([50116.156]+[50114.156])/100))-[50040.71])/[50040.71]*100

MAF PE* for Lambda
    (([2320.71]+([2320.71]*([50119.238]-[50118.238])/[50118.238]))-[50040.71])/[50040.71]*100

MAF PE for AFR
    (([2320.71]+([2320.71]*(([50120]-[50121])/[50121]))-[16.71])/[16.71]*100

VVE CL
    (([2320.71]+([2320.71]*([50116.156]+[50114.156])/100))-[2311.71])/[2311.71]*100

VVE PE* for Lambda
    (([2320.71]+([2320.71]*([50119.238]-[50118.238])/[50118.238]))-[2311.71])/[2311.71]*100

VVE PE for AFR
    (([2320.71]+([2320.71]*(([50120]-[50121])/[50121]))-[2311.71])/[2311.71]*100

[Filters to use in Scanner to get rid of transients and CL/PE]

CL: [2517.161.avg(1500)]=0 and [2517.161.avg(-200)]=0 and (abs([50090.156.slope(1500)])+abs([50090.156.slope(-500)]))<2 and ([6310]=9 OR [6310]=14 OR [6310]=15)=0

PE: [2517.161.avg(1500)]=0 and [2517.161.avg(-200)]=0 and (abs([50090.156.slope(250)])+abs([50090.156.slope(-250)]))<2 and [6310.avg(250)]=9

*Notes
    You will need to substitute the correct PIDs for your setup (wideband and anything else, your ECM may be different than mine).

As i started this process i had the virtual flex on. Felt better at the 14.3 afr, set to the factory 14.7 with Flex fuel off. Now performance seems to have gone away as i use these math's. Pedal response has gotten worse. Should i have it in force MAF mode? normal driving mode? My vve has gone pretty flat and one peaky area. LTFT lean 14-16% at idle. STFT don't indicate a vac leak issue. Also currently have DFCO off when i was following GRG's method. Comparing to my afr on bank 1 i'm lean.

What am i doing wrong?

2k11 Hoe TUNED 11-10 WB-14.68-1.hpt

11.10.hpl

vve hpt.png
    Last edited by Osiris94ej; 11-11-2023 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris94ej View Post
    As i started this process i had the virtual flex on. Felt better at the 14.3 afr, set to the factory 14.7 with Flex fuel off. Now performance seems to have gone away as i use these math's. Pedal response has gotten worse. Should i have it in force MAF mode? normal driving mode? My vve has gone pretty flat and one peaky area. LTFT lean 14-16% at idle. STFT don't indicate a vac leak issue. Also currently have DFCO off when i was following GRG's method. Comparing to my afr on bank 1 i'm lean.

What am i doing wrong?

2k11 Hoe TUNED 11-10 WB-14.68-1.hpt

11.10.hpl

vve hpt.png

I am not surprised with your drivability results.

I see three major issues:
    1) The first issue is the most common issue I see, you are not logging the Fuel Trim Cell PID in your channel list, which is required for the filters, at least as how I use the filters.
    2) You have a variable camshaft enabled and you are not logging the camshaft angle. You will need to log this and then add the filter for the cam angle = 0 to tune in "basic" mode (to use the VVE Assistant program I wrote). Then once that is set up you can move to advanced mode to work on when the cam is not parked.
    3) Your high octane spark table...needs work

Additionally, I removed the large spike anomaly from your VVE in the idle area so I could get a read on the rest of the VVE. It is NOT smooth at all (see screenshot). Sounds like your VVE is a work in progress, but you goal is to smooth it out. Have you watched the VVE videos and used my tool (check my sig, you will need to watch both videos in order). No need to disable MAF, these formulas work in hybrid mode to tune both air flow models.

Keep at it, and you will get where you need to be!

Edit: I would recommend never using virtual flex fuel, especially if any engine modifications have been made. It is sketchy at best on a OEM fitted vehicle.

spikes.jpg
    Last edited by Cringer; 11-11-2023 at 09:03 PM.

My Tuning Software:

MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Potential Tuner
    I am not surprised with your drivability results.

I see three major issues:
    1) The first issue is the most common issue I see, you are not logging the Fuel Trim Cell PID in your channel list, which is required for the filters, at least as how I use the filters.
    2) You have a variable camshaft enabled and you are not logging the camshaft angle. You will need to log this and then add the filter for the cam angle = 0 to tune in "basic" mode (to use the VVE Assistant program I wrote). Then once that is set up you can move to advanced mode to work on when the cam is not parked.
    3) Your high octane spark table...needs work

Additionally, I removed the large spike anomaly from your VVE in the idle area so I could get a read on the rest of the VVE. It is NOT smooth at all (see screenshot). Sounds like your VVE is a work in progress, but you goal is to smooth it out. Have you watched the VVE videos and used my tool (check my sig, you will need to watch both videos in order). No need to disable MAF, these formulas work in hybrid mode to tune both air flow models.

Keep at it, and you will get where you need to be!

Edit: I would recommend never using virtual flex fuel, especially if any engine modifications have been made. It is sketchy at best on a OEM fitted vehicle.

spikes.jpg
    i will add that into the channel list for next log, it is indeed a work in progress, taken me a few months and as far as ive gotten. I thought my vvt was disabled along with the dod?